How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-12-2004
backstage pass

Gunman Kills 4 at Ohio Heavy Metal Show

41 minutes ago Top Stories - AP

By JAY COHEN, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A gunman charged onstage at a packed nightclub and opened fire on the band and crowd, killing top heavy metal guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and three other people before a police officer shot him to death, authorities and witnesses said.

Former Pantera Guitarist Killed on Stage

Police spokeswoman Sherry Mercurio identified three of the victims of Wednesday's shooting as Abbott, who played for the Texas-based band Damageplan, and two other men, Nathan Bray, 23; and Erin Halk, 29.

She identified the gunman as Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville, 25 miles northwest of Columbus. Police said they had no information on a motive or any connection to the band.

The gunman had a hostage in a headlock and seemed to be preparing to kill him when the officer, James D. Niggemeyer, managed to shoot without injuring the hostage, police said.

Damageplan had just begun its first song at Alrosa Villa club when the man shot Abbott five or six times at point-blank range, a witness said.

Abbott, 38, one of metal's top guitarists, and his brother, Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, were members of Pantera, the Grammy-nominated thrash-rock pioneer that enjoyed wide popularity in the 1990s.

The witness, 22-year-old Chris Couch, said he was standing about 30 feet from the stage when he saw a man wearing a hooded sweat shirt walk up to the stage, followed by a bouncer and another club employee.

The man in the sweat shirt climbed onto the stage, started yelling and opened fire on the guitarist, then shot a bouncer who pulled him off the musician, Couch said.

Police spokesman Sgt. Brent Mull said that after shooting at band members, the gunman fired into the crowd. Niggemeyer, patrolling nearby, arrived within two minutes, he said.

"If the officer wasn't as close as he was, I think this would have been a lot worse," Mull said. "It was a chaotic scene, just a horrific scene."

Niggemeyer, 31, entered the club through a back door and was directed to the stage, where he saw one person lying dead and the suspect holding onto another "pretty much in a headlock," Mull said.

"The officer was able to strategically gun this guy down before he was able to kill this hostage," Mull said. He said the hostage, "probably a fan, maybe someone who worked with the band," was able to maneuver out of the way somewhat before the officer fired.

Mull said he believed there was amateur video that officers could view for clues.

The name of the fifth person killed was not immediately released. Mercurio said family members were still being notified.

Thursday morning, a dozen yellow roses, still in plastic wrap, lay near the entry to the low-slung beige building that since 1974 has hosted mostly heavy metal acts. The 641-person-capacity club, just off a freeway exit on the city's north side, sits amid motels, small businesses and office complexes.

After the shooting began, Couch and a friend headed for the exit along with a tide of hundreds of fans.

"It was definitely a grudge. It was against something," Couch said.

Amanda Stankus, 19, who attended the show with Couch, said she initially thought the shooting was part of the show. "I just saw the guitarist fall down, and we decided to get out of there," she said.

The Abbott brothers produced Damageplan's debut album, "New Found Power," which was released in February. Other band members are vocalist Patrick Lachman and bassist Bob Zilla.

"Damageplan carries on the tradition Pantera started, the ... hell-raising tradition we were all about," Vinnie Paul Abbott told The Dallas Morning News in October. "We do play some Pantera songs. Me and Dime wrote them, and we feel like we have the right to play them. But the focus is on Damageplan.

"It took awhile for some of the Pantera fans to accept it; we knew that was gonna be the case," he said. "Change is something that people have a hard time accepting. But me and Dime intended on doing this our whole lives."

A message left with Atlantic Records Group, which oversees Damageplan's label Elektra, was not immediately returned.

Damageplan's Web site said Darrel and Vinnie Abbott grew up in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, where their father, country songwriter Jerry Abbott, owned a recording studio.

Telephone numbers for Darrell and Jerry Abbott are unlisted and could not be reached early Thursday by The Associated Press.

Pantera, known for its fast, aggressive sound, recorded several albums in the 1990s, attracting a massive cult following. The third release, "Far Beyond Driven," debuted at No. 1 in 1994, surprising chart-watchers and critics alike. Other hit albums were "The Great Southern Trendkill" and "Reinventing The Steel." A song by the band became the Dallas Stars hockey team's signature tune in 1999.

Pantera was nominated for Grammies for best metal performance in 1995 for "I'm Broken" and in 2001 for "Revolution Is My Name."

The video "The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits" hit the top 10 for music-video sales earlier this year; another video, "3-Watch It Go," hit the top 10 in 1998.

The shootings came exactly 24 years after John Lennon was shot to death outside his New York apartment building by a deranged fan.

Dozens of messages were posted to the Dallas band's Web site after the shootings.

"This is the worst day in metal history," one posting read.

"The metal world feels your pain," another wrote.

09-12-2004
backstage pass

now i didn't really listen to pantera but i still know how much they've influenced a lot of bands, so ironic that this was the same day of the lennon shooting anniversary...

09-12-2004
scenester

It's so sad.
Pantera was awesome, and dimebag was a good guitarist

09-12-2004
I love model_mom!

I heard about this on the radio! What an awful tragedy!

front row

It's shocking and horrible...and odd that it is the anniversary of John Lennon...I didn't know that. He was an amazing talent and will be sorely missed.

09-12-2004
Soviet Camaro

I saw Pantera once in '94. I have never been a metal fan (beyond the first 3 Black Sabbath albums, anyway) but they really had the crowd charged up. My friend who brought me there was very excited.

Unbelievable that someone would do this. I don't think the Lennon anniversary was a coincidence but that is just a feeling, I have no idea what this guy was thinking.

Tragic and crazy.

fashion icon

RIP

V.I.P.

That's really awful. Even in my metal phase in elementary school, I didn't really listen to Pantera. But they were a damn good band.

09-12-2004
V.I.P.

That's horrible!

I used to love Pantera, I've been to their concerts twice - the hardest shows ever.

RIP

Any reaction from Phil Anselmo?

09-12-2004
scenester

No, not yet I think. He must feel really stupid after he just trashed Abbott in a magazine
Maybe he's too stoned to even know whats going on

09-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by J!nx@Dec 9 2004, 03:27 PM
No, not yet I think. He must feel really stupid after he just trashed Abbott in a magazine
Maybe he's too stoned to even know whats going on
[snapback]458544[/snapback]
I should ask my friend. They are good friends.

09-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by AlexN@Dec 9 2004, 12:07 PM
That's really awful. Even in my metal phase in elementary school, I didn't really listen to Pantera. But they were a damn good band.
[snapback]458497[/snapback]
ditto

RIP, btw.

and no more drugs, drugs are bad.

trendsetter

I was never hugly into pantera, i have one of the albums, but i'm not a big metal fan, but Dimebag was an amazing guitarist, and i can't believe that this has happened, and such a shocking tragedy.

Vision of Paradise

omg...that is just awful.......unbelievable!

trendsetter

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard the news this morning. This is a tragedy. My heart goes out to his family

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dimebag, rip