RIP Kate Spade - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
1 Week Ago
trendsetter

Terrible news, may she RIP. Depression can be very difficult to cope with.

A lot of things that shouldn't have been made public have been. Why would the media share her dead body being collected and her private note for her daughter?

1 Week Ago
fashion elite

I'll always have a soft-spot in my heart for Kate Spade. When I first moved to Boston from small-town middle America, a Kate Spade bag was the first "fancy" item I bought for my sister. To me, that bag and her brand was a symbol of "big city" life..like a way of me saying "Look at me..I made it out of the cow pastures and corn fields of southern Illinois." And then there was that corresponding Jack Spade moment I briefly had for myself..

Oddly enough, I never knew exactly what she looked like until now.

1 Week Ago
front row

I feel really sorry for her daughter, especially at such an emotional age.
I hope she is surrounded by supportive family and that her father really is there for her. Its all so sad.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

It is sad and unexpected...

front row

I have to be honest, a red scarf is a classy way to go. RIP.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
I have to be honest, a red scarf is a classy way to go. RIP.
Yes, but the poor maid who had to see that! I imagine it would be like having a noose around your neck, just like during the war. Just tried to look up when exactly capital punishment by hanging ended and came across a sepia image of a decapitated man (on Wikipedia, my God!). His head snapped right off from hanging.

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

For those who didn't know the backstory on her namesake brand. Apparently her Frances Valentine bags and Kate Spade handbags are selling like hotcakes right now.

Quote:
Here's why Kate Spade didn't profit when her brand sold to Coach for $2.4 billion

Mary Hanbury
Jun. 6, 2018, 10:28 AM

The news of Kate Spade's apparent suicide on Tuesday morning sent shockwaves around the world.

Fans posted photos of themselves with the fashion designer's handbags in tribute, while others went to Kate Spade stores to buy them.

Spade was 55. She leaves behind her husband, Andy, and a 13-year-old daughter, Francis Beatrix.

However, since 2007, neither Kate nor Andy Spade, who helped set up the brand in 1993 and later joined full time, have had a role in the business they created.
The story of Kate Spade

The couple built up the business from their loft in Tribeca.

"We had so many boxes in our 1,800-square-foot loft during shipping time that we had a path from the bedroom to the bathroom," Andy Spade told CNN Money in 2003. "It was hot. We had no air conditioning, and it was August. We had put everything into this. I put in my 401(k) money ... We didn't know for sure that the business was going to work."

In the late 1990s, the brand was considered an exclusive label. Sales jumped to $1.5 million in 1995 from $100,000 in 1993, then to $27 million in 1998, according to Racked.

In 1999, the Spades sold a 56% stake of the company to Neiman Marcus for $33.6 million. Years later, in 2006, the remaining stake was sold to Neiman for about $59 million.

In 2007, the Spade family relinquished all involvement in the business.

Just one week after buying the company, Neiman Marcus sold it to the apparel giant Liz Claiborne for about $124 million. At the time, Liz Claiborne, which later became Fifth & Pacific, stocked more than 40 brands and generated more than $5 billion in annual sales, though its handbags-and-accessories business was limited.

Fifth & Pacific went on to sell off its other brands and renamed itself Kate Spade & Company. The brand was bought by Coach (now Tapestry) for $2.4 billion last year. The Spades did not benefit from this sale because they had stepped away years earlier.

After a brief hiatus from fashion, Kate Spade launched a new handbag-and-shoe company, Frances Valentine, in 2015. She also changed her name to Kate Valentine to match the new brand and distance herself from her previous business.
Source: Businessinsider.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
kate, rip, spade