How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-03-2014
fashion insider

Really sad for this. You never know what depths of despair hide behind a smiling facade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
I was surprised to read that McQueen hanged himself and now Scott... it seems like an awful way to die. RIP.
It's actually probably one of the most common ways of suicide here in England, I read somewhere a study saying it was cultural, there may even be a "genetic" element to it. The amount of school kids that kill themselves in this way in here is simply horrific.

18-03-2014
tfs star

This is just so tragic. She was clearly such an elegant, creative, strong and sensitive artist...and deservedly proud...how she must have suffered. This news comes as quite a shock especially because of all that strength and beauty she stood for.

18-03-2014
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Really sad for this. You never know what depths of despair hide behind a smiling facade.

It's actually probably one of the most common ways of suicide here in England, I read somewhere a study saying it was cultural, there may even be a "genetic" element to it. The amount of school kids that kill themselves in this way in here is simply horrific.
I did not know that, and it is a horrific way to die.

18-03-2014
rising star

I've just learned that and immediatly came here. May she rest in peace and love to her family

I don't know why but even if i didn't know her it makes me sad as I used to follow her collections.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Tim Blanks Remembers L’Wren Scott

STONES LOVER FOUND HANGED, the headlines shouted in letters two inches high this morning. The U.K. tabloids had already subsumed yesterday’s tragedy into the longest-running saga in rock ‘n’ roll. As, first, stylist to the stars, and then consort to Sir Mick, L’Wren Scott was well-practiced in the intricacies of celebrity, so she would have understood those headlines, maybe even managed a sardonic aside about them.

From all I ever saw, it was hard to imagine anything that would faze her. She had the unflappable calm of a film noir femme fatale, never a hair out of place, knife-edge precise in her sharply tailored clothes, with the Mojave-dry drollery to match. She was a brilliant time, as brilliant, in fact, as the time she herself always seemed to be having.

L’Wren was also clearly a perfectionist. A perfectionist demands perfection, first and foremost, from herself. Today’s reports suggest the mounting business losses that were threatening the closure of her company had plunged her into the depression that unhinged her from life on Monday morning. It’s difficult to jibe that notion with the woman I knew. Like I said, unflappable, always amusing and amused…and also so entranced by the finest things in life that it’s hard to imagine L’Wren unable to find escape—and relief—from prosaic business woes in the connoisseurship of the beauty that inspired her. Consider the last two shows she staged in London, the embroidered Japonaiserie, the Klimtian gilding so perfect to the last stitch. Hindsight offers hints of otherness. She sounded a little unsettled by just how badly she’d broken the bank with her Spring 2014 collection. But every last cent was there on the catwalk.

The tabloids will co-opt her story with another narrative, but that last collection stands as a beautiful—and beautifully appropriate—memorial to L’Wren Scott, designer.

—Tim Blanks
style

V.I.P.

This is so shocking and disheartening; I've only just heard. I always picture her as a kind of statuesque and lovely throwback to another time, much like Nicole Kidman (and others) looked in her work.

How very sad when sensitive people can't see the light that they need in dark times. I hope those who were close to her find solace. She behind left a legacy of elegance.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
19-03-2014
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
She behind left a legacy of elegance.
I know... I think of elegance, beauty and creativity as something natural and divine, and I find it extremely hard to fathom why it sometimes has to come at such an awful cost...why do artists have to bleed themselves to death--financially, spiritually, and physically--to create beauty? Isn't beauty our birthright as human beings?...or does our society not value it enough?? So sad...

19-03-2014
scenester

Mick Jagger posted this message on his website yesterday:

I am still struggling to understand how my lover and best friend could end her life in this tragic way.

We spent many wonderful years together and had made a great life for ourselves.

She had great presence and her talent was much admired, not least by me.

I have been touched by the tributes that people have paid to her, and also the personal messages of support that I have received.

I will never forget her,
Mick

Source: http://www.mickjagger.com/

19-03-2014
fashion icon

Cathy Horn wrote a touching memorial about L'Wren.
Quote:
Memories of a Friend, a Teacher and a Fighter
L’Wren Scott Remembered by Cathy Horyn
By CATHY HORYNMARCH 18, 2014

L’Wren Scott was beguiling to her friends, so I can’t imagine what strangers thought of her. There was her height: 6-foot-7 in heels, which made me (5-foot-7) feel like a shrimp.
I remember sitting on a trunk backstage at Madison Square Garden, watching a parade of guests come to greet her boyfriend, Mick Jagger, at the start of the Rolling Stones’ Bigger Bang Tour, in 2005. There, after Ahmet Ertegun, were Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, then undergrads, and L’Wren beamed and swept down like Glinda the Good Witch to hug the girls.
The gesture conveyed much, but mainly warmth and empathy. Despite her Amazonian height and courtesan-like glamour, L’Wren could rapidly close the distance to another human being. And this was especially true for the most insecure of humans: celebrities. You felt at ease and never overshadowed by her, or indeed her famous boyfriend.

L’Wren was made of softer clay, to use a phrase of the late writer Lesley Blanch. The Olsens were then struggling for acceptance, as adults, as would-be designers, and L’Wren, who wasn’t big on group opinion, offered her encouragement. And this was while she was quietly starting her own label and facing the inevitable detractors.

I took note of many things she said or did over the years that I knew her. She was a marvelous teacher, in a way; few people, outside of a French couture salon or a Hollywood costume shop, knew as many practical dressmaker tricks as she did, illusions that bolstered your confidence as they revealed (to me) fundamental lessons about dressing.
Even if a woman didn’t relate to L’Wren’s style (and it was very specific style, based on her fairly old-fashioned aesthetic), I used to think she would have an empire if she could talk one-on-one with her customers. That’s no doubt a reason so many actresses stuck with L’Wren: Nicole Kidman, Ellen Barkin, Sarah Jessica Parker, Julianne Moore, Christina Hendricks. She was so well informed and prepared, and at the same time so funny and offhand about the fuss, that you naturally trusted her
And she didn’t talk about her friends or clients. O.K., a little, but nothing that really mattered. This was something else I learned from L’Wren and admired in an increasingly blabbering world: she didn’t share. She had firm boundaries, and they applied equally to her relationships and confidences.
Which is not say she didn’t give great girlfriend advice (“Dr. Scott is on the line,” she wrote in a text last fall), but she had enormous self-control (or self-respect?) when it came to her privacy. She once made reference to a husband in her past, maybe two husbands — I wasn’t sure. Anyhow, I knew not to pursue the matter.
Our friendship had its roots in the mid 1990s, when she was working as a fashion coordinator for the Academy Awards and styling for the photographer Herb Ritts in Los Angeles, often for his work in Vanity Fair. We became better acquainted around 2000, when our mutual friend Ronnie Newhouse brought us together over lunch. L’Wren was then living between Los Angeles, where she had a home in Hollywood Hills, and London (or Paris), and, I think, already seeing Mick, although their romance wasn’t public.

In later years, L’Wren spent more and more time in Europe until she and Mick finally settled into a large house in London and a Paris apartment with room for his children. She started her label in a much smaller Paris flat, on the Rue de Bellechasse, using a bedroom for a studio and holding small dinner parties during the collections in the front hall. I remember evenings with Hedi Slimane and François-Henri Pinault; many others, too.
And in those days, her business really ran on a shoestring, with L’Wren and maybe two other women doing all the work. She had an incredible work ethic; if there was one thing that bound all her friends, wherever they were born, it was that. And there was no job she wasn’t willing to do herself, which became a problem as her company got bigger.
Eventually, L’Wren sold her house in Los Angeles. I’ve been thinking a lot about that charming little house, with its funky walled garden and aura of silent-era Hollywood, in the days since her suicide. I visited the house only once — for an alfresco Thanksgiving dinner in 2006, with Mick, Charlie Watts, Ronnie and Jo Wood, and our friend the publicist Ina Treciokas, before the band played at Dodger Stadium — but I knew it represented her independence and everything she had built. She was a success in her relationship with Mick, I believe, because she maintained some of that independence, and for his part he truly welcomed her friends into their life and made us feel at home.
But I can’t help thinking, now, that a huge part of L’Wren’s spirit, what gave her grit and endurance, remained in the West. And without it, maybe she was maybe was a little lost, a little less sure of herself.
Like many small designers, she had problems managing her business: cash flow, finding the right managers, getting her goods out of Italian factories on schedule. Two years ago, our friendship was tested when, after hearing her troubles, I told her she should give herself a time limit to resolve matters or get out. Putting her health in jeopardy because of stress was not worth it, I told her.

She didn’t like the advice. And true to form, she dug in. She got her house in order and struck a number of deals, including one last year with Banana Republic, that gave her new exposure. In late November, after a week or so with Mick in Natchez, Miss, where he is producing a James Brown biopic, she sent a text from London that said, in part, “mad day fitting AMAZING things!!”
After my partner died in early February, L’Wren was the first to call and send a note. When we finally spoke, two weeks later, I was surprised to hear how run down and discouraged she sounded. She spoke of production problems, forcing her to cancel her fall show. Again, I urged her to put her health first.
Besides, I told her: “You’re entrepreneurial — that’s your strength. You’ll have new ideas. Just give yourself a break now.”
I sent her text on March 12, checking in. She didn’t reply, but that wasn’t unusual. I learned since her death that she was planning to close her business, with an announcement on Wednesday. Still, as painful as the decision must have been for her, I wouldn’t draw any conclusions from it about her state of mind. Nor should any credence be given to reports of a breakup with Mick. It’s rubbish.
She was with friends on Sunday night, and, yes, they were deeply concerned about her, but, no, they didn’t think she would do something so desperate. Not L’Wren.
Her death is inexplicable to me, and it makes me angry, too. Angry because it’s the loss of a vital, intelligent woman, and angry because, this once, I don’t want her to be a mystery to me.
nytimes.com

link to article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/20/fa...thy-horyn.html

19-03-2014
V.I.P.

^such a well written piece, and truly from the heart. I hate how the media mentions the fact that she is Mick Jaggers' girlfriend before they mention the fact that she owns her own business

19-03-2014
fashion icon

The piece that Cathy Horyn wrote about her friend was very beautifully put, and it has left me in tears, from all accounts L'Wren was a kind soul and Horyn's writeup certainly notes this too. I really feel for those who knew L'Wren Scott, my heart goes out to them.

V.I.P.

I was also shocked by the news. Judging from the tribute Cathy wrote, it appeared that L'Wren was a very proud and independent woman. Perhaps she didn't want Mick to bail out the business at all and she simply couldn't face quitting.
May she find peace in heaven, with many who are impeccably dressed and styled by her.

19-03-2014
V.I.P.

the stories regarding her death are heart wrenching.

the nursery that was built in their home that remained empty. the reports that mick had broken up with her a few weeks ago, which he is now denying. the parents that encouraged the "go it alone" philosophy.

this interview with her longtime maid in the nydaily news is saddest of all

Quote:
“She would tell me she wanted to get married and have a family, but she didn’t want to get her hopes up or say it out loud to Mick. She didn’t want to pressure him,” Montufar told the Daily News in an exclusive interview at her Los Angeles residence.

“She sacrificed a lot to be with him. A few years ago, she thought she’d be with him forever and have a family,” Montufar said.
“She knew there were other women, but she accepted it to be with him.”

Alluring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Agreed. Such a shocking news indeed

May she R.I.P.

19-03-2014
V.I.P.

There is only lovely shot of L'Wren in the link as well as another dozen or so of celebs in her work. It makes a kind of nice commemoration so I thought I'd post the link:

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/03/17/624...to%20Galleries

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lwren, rip, scott