How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

2 Weeks Ago
.my prison is your brain.

RIP Manuela Pavesi: Photographer Stylist & Longtime Prada Collaborator
Quote:
Remembering Manuela Pavesi

Photographer, stylist, and longtime Prada collaborator Manuela Pavesi died today [Friday, March 13th] in Italy after a long illness. She was 65 years old.

At Prada, she was not only Miuccia Prada’s right-hand woman, consulting on the house’s collections and strategies, but also a dear friend to the designer. Her personal style mix of feminine and eclectic pieces often worked hand in hand with each season’s offering and made her renown in the industry for her clever and chic taste.

It was also at Prada that Pavesi discovered a young talent in the brand’s visual merchandising department, Jonathan Anderson, and encouraged him to start his own brand. Anderson expressed his sentiments on Instagram this morning, calling Pavesi the “most amazing person I know, and the only reason I started in fashion.” She held a similar place in the hearts of many other fashion insiders, having mentored a great many designers, stylists, photographers, and editors throughout the years.

Pavesi started her career as a fashion editor at Vogue Italia, working with the likes of Guy Bourdin, Irving Penn, and Helmut Newton. It was reportedly Newton himself who encouraged her to start a career as a photographer. Most recently, Pavesi collaborated with fashion’s new guard through her photography work at Vogue Japan, Ponystep, Tank, and Love magazines. Tank editor in chief Masoud Golsorkhi wrote to Style.com today of his collaborator, with whom he had planned to review the Fall season this afternoon: “It had become a ritual, a litmus test to run my thoughts and impressions past her before they could be allowed to become fully formed. She would think in pictures and talk in collections, and her vocabulary ran to decades and was detailed in looks broken down to the smallest details. For her, fashion wasn’t a business or a profession, it was a creature—a living, breathing creature yet the most important aspect of the world to her. Fashion had to be looked after and sustained like a garden or obscure endangered species. ‘It will sell well, but it isn’t fashion!’ would be her ultimate curse.”

Love magazine editor in chief Katie Grand also remembered Pavesi on Instagram today, saying she was “perhaps the most stylish woman I ever met and had the pleasure of working with…Manuela, you will be deeply missed. Heaven will be a much more elegant place with you.”
style.com

2 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

Poor woman, she was young to die. I read about it some days ago and was surprised no one opened a thread in tFS. Thank you for doing it, Heather.

2 Weeks Ago
tfs star

Such sad news, may she rest in peace. My condolences to her family and friends.

V.I.P.

So sad, I loved her work, especially in the last years for Grey. RIP.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
collaborator, longtime, manuela, pavesi, photographer, prada, rip, stylist