How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-10-2011
on the come up

Dr Nguyen was cool

Omg don't go to TMZ today, they have a naked body of Michael showing at the top

11-10-2011
V.I.P.

wow, just when I thought TMZ couldn't possibly get any more tasteless..

12-10-2011
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

^ sucks that i already saw it

Day Ten

Day Eleven

i'm on Day Six...

Michelle Bella with her replies "YESSSSSSSS"

Nicole Alvarez is something else

i'm a bit annoyed with Tim Lopez and the way he talks about depigmentation creams for Vitiligo sufferers...he doesn't really know how to explain the purpose with proper terms. simplifying things can come off insensitive and it gives off a different impression of the purpose of the treatment to those who don't know much about Vitiligo. i don't think people solely go through treatment for vanity reasons because the disease has such a strong emotional and psychological impact. i'm just saying, it bugs the hale outta me.

Last edited by kissablekae; 12-10-2011 at 11:19 PM.
13-10-2011
on the come up

Bella and Alvarez were the girlfriends? Gahh I missed all the salacious parts

16-10-2011
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

^ yep. Bella wasn't on the stand for very long but so brought lulz with the way she said "YESSSSSS"
Alvarez doesn't seem to know where she is or that she's part of a serious case someone said she behaved like she was at an audition or something

Day Twelve

i've heard that the doctors on the witness stand have been more outspokenly against Murray's practices f'n finally, people need to hear this!

21-10-2011
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

Day 13

some of this may be upsetting so proceed with caution.
Quote:
Conrad Murray Trial: Day 13 Summary

Michael Jackson's respiratory arrest was re-enacted in a court video (Wednesday, October 19). Propofol expert Dr. Steven Shafer told jurors that Conrad Murray committed 17 "egregious" violations and errors in his care of Jackson. Said that simply lifting the singer's chin could have saved his life.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A medical expert looked jurors in the eyes Wednesday and told them that Michael Jackson's doctor committed 17 flagrant violations of the standard of care for his famous patient and was directly responsible for the death of the King of Pop. (Four of those violations were deemed "fundamentally unconscionable.")

Dr. Steven Shafer at one point called the defendant, Dr. Conrad Murray, "clueless" when it came to using the powerful anesthetic propofol and said he didn't know what to do when Jackson stopped breathing.

Prosecutor David Walgren concluded the day's questioning by asking Shafer: "Would it be your opinion that Conrad Murray is directly responsible for the death of Michael Jackson for his egregious violations and abandonment of Michael Jackson?"

Shafer replied, "Absolutely."

Just giving Jackson the anesthetic as a sleep aid was unconscionable, Shafer testified earlier.

"A competent doctor would know you do not do this," he told jurors. "If a patient requests something frivolous or dangerous, it is the doctor's responsibility to say no."

He continued: "We are in pharmacological never-never land here, something that was done to Michael Jackson and no one else in history to my knowledge."

Propofol is almost always administered in a hospital or surgical clinic, where doses can be carefully regulated, vital signs can be tracked on monitors, and a patient can be quickly revived with an array of resuscitative equipment, if necessary.

“I have patients that stop breathing every day,” Shafer testified. “It’s no big deal because I know what to do.”

He said one of Murray’s most egregious failings was that he did not pay close enough attention to Jackson as he was under sedation. He criticized Murray for spending time receiving phone calls, sending e-mails and text messages, and taking "two minutes" to relieve himself in the bathroom.

Shafer said leaving a propofol-sedated patient would be like leaving the wheel of a motor home while driving on the highway to use the bathroom. “No matter how full your bladder is, you don’t leave the steering wheel,” Shafer said. “Dr. Murray left the steering wheel.”

Murray told police in a taped interview that, upon returning from the bathroom, he noticed Jackson had stopped breathing. Murray claimed he immediately began CPR on Jackson -- a move which several witnesses have said was completely incorrect.

Going by Murray's own words, Dr. Shafer testified that Jackson initially went into respiratory arrest, not cardiac arrest, and therefore did not require chest compressions.

"Michael Jackson was trying to breathe but his tongue got stuck in the back of his throat," Dr. Shafer said. "Michael Jackson died because he stopped breathing. That is expected when you administer intravenous sedatives. You just have to open the airways so oxygen can get through.

"A simple chin lift or the use of an instrument to move the tongue may well have been all that was needed to save his life."

But when Murray found Jackson not breathing, there was nothing more important than calling 911, Shafer said.

Murray, who has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter, told police that he did not call 911 because because Jackson did not have a land-line in his home. (Murray had two cellphones with him on the morning of June 25, 2009, which he used to call Jackson's personal assistant, Michael Amir Williams, after finding the singer in his bed, not breathing.)

Murray also told detectives that he didn't call 911 because, while he knew Jackson's home address, he did not know the zip-code.

"To speak to a 911 operator would be to neglect [Jackson]," he said.

According to Murray's own timeline, he delayed calling paramedics for over 20 minutes.

"I almost don't know what to say," Dr. Shafer said on the witness stand, Wednesday. "That is so completely and utterly inexcusable."

Dr. Shafer further criticized Murray for failing to reveal to paramedics and emergency room doctors that Jackson had been given propofol.

“When information is withheld from the people trying to save the life of your patient, you have violated that [doctor-patient] trust in ways that are so foreign to me that I have trouble conceiving of it,” he said.

The Columbia University professor and researcher gave jurors a crash course on propofol, an anesthetic used in hospital settings.

A video shown to jurors detailed numerous safety measures that were not employed by Murray when he administered the drug to Jackson as a sleep aid at the singer's home, according to testimony.

"The worst disasters occur in sedation and they occur when people cut corners," Shafer said. In Jackson's case, "virtually none of the safeguards were in place," he added.

Shafer is expected to be the last prosecution witness in the involuntary manslaughter case against Murray. His testimony will resume Thursday.

Shafer, who wrote the package insert that guides doctors in the use of the anesthetic, lectured the jury as if they were in a classroom. He narrated while the silent video took jurors into an operating room to see the specialized equipment and procedures.

The researcher told jurors that keeping records is essential. While narrating the video, Shafer noted the doctor in the footage was taking copious notes.

"Moment by moment, the anesthesiologist writes down everything that happens, as diligently as you are doing here," he said as jurors scribbled in notebooks.

He said the lack of record-keeping was a violation of Jackson's rights, especially if something went wrong.

"He has a right to know what was done to him," Shafer said. "With no medical record, the family has been denied that right."

Testimony has shown that Murray took no notes on his treatment of Jackson and didn't record his vital signs on June 25, 2009, the day Jackson died.

Shafer said he was testifying for the prosecution without a fee because he wants to restore public confidence in doctors who use propofol, which he called a wonderful drug when properly administered.

"I am asked every day in the operating room, 'Are you going to give me the drug that killed Michael Jackson,'" Shafer said. "This is a fear that patients do not need to have."

Shafer, who edits journals on anesthesia and is widely published on the subject, also gave jurors a demonstration from the witness stand of how propofol is drawn into an IV bag with a large syringe. He produced a bottle of the white, milky substance and showed the steps involved, which took several minutes.

The explanation by Shafer and the depiction in the video seemed to belie an early defense claim that Jackson could have administered the drug to himself. The process shown Wednesday appeared too complicated for self-administration.

Murray's attorneys will begin calling witnesses Friday. They plan to call 15 people, including police detectives, character witnesses and Randy Phillips, the head of AEG Live, the promoter of Jackson's planned series of comeback concerts.

Chernoff said the defense should rest its case by Wednesday.

source : Yahoo!, CSMonitor, compiled and bolding by Leitao on OhNoTheyDidn't

22-10-2011
on the come up

Why the hell is Randy Phillips testifying for the defense?

25-10-2011
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

^ i haven't gotten that far but to my understanding, sometimes people are subpoenaed by the defense but they don't actually want to help/agree with that side

Day 14

Day 15

Day 16

28-10-2011
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

Day 17

Day 18

30-10-2011
on the come up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissablekae View Post
^ i haven't gotten that far but to my understanding, sometimes people are subpoenaed by the defense but they don't actually want to help/agree with that side
Really so you can't refuse?
You know that nurse Cherry(?) Lee? Man I think she really loves Michael.

30-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedIfIWantTo View Post
Really so you can't refuse?
No, you can't. You can be subpoenaed by either the defence or the prosecution. If you don't go to court when you are supposed to (or you "refuse") the judge could issue a warrant for your arrest or you could be charged with contempt of court. If you are found guilty of contempt of court you may be fined or given a jail term.

30-10-2011
on the come up

^Right. I thought they'd have a right to object.

30-10-2011
Free Spirit | Wild Heart

they can object to it if they feel they aren't being called in for the right reasons / their testimony isn't really relevant to the case. in Cherilyn Lee's case, she'd for sure have to come in because she is an important witness. even though she was brought in by the defense, it doesn't mean she agrees with them etc. didn't the same thing happen with Debbie Rowe back in '05? brought in by the Prosecution but her testimony supported Michael

Day 19

Day 20

30-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissablekae View Post
they can object to it if they feel they aren't being called in for the right reasons / their testimony isn't really relevant to the case.
A witness can refuse to testify on the grounds of privilege: against self-incrimination, spousal, attorney-client, priest-penitent, etc. Anyone else has to testify once they've been subpoenaed, even if they feel their testimony is not relevant. They can object, but if they don't have legal grounds the have to testify anyway.

31-10-2011
on the come up

^Great explanations, thanks!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, jackson, michael, rip