How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-07-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMemory View Post
sry, but I just have to say my opinion about this Jackson-Death-Hype...

of course it's sad that a great artist died - and may he rest in peace.

BUT it's too much already!! it's 2 weeks ago and there are still so much news and gossip about his death!! I can't take it any longer!!

Memo Pad: Michael Jackson Sells and Sells...

by WWD Staff

Posted Wednesday July 08, 2009
From WWD Issue 07/08/2009

Cover of People
Photo By Courtesy Photo

Quote:
THE EARLY NUMBERS: With the estimated 30 million to 40 million U.S. viewers who were expected to tune into Michael Jackson’s memorial service Tuesday morning, it’s no surprise the celebrity weeklies also are seeing a bounce in newsstand sales from coverage of the King of Pop’s death. Multiple sources with access to scan data said early estimates show the entire category reported strong sales last week. People, whose best-selling issues have covered the deaths of Princess Diana and John F. Kennedy Jr., is on track to sell 2.8 million copies of its Michael Jackson tribute issue. Time Inc. published special editions of People last week with different back covers of the singer, one of a younger Jackson, the other from his adult years, that will be on newsstands through next week. If the estimate holds, the issue will have sold more than the Aug. 8, 2008, issue of baby photos of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s twins, Knox Léon and Vivienne Marcheline, and will have topped the Dec. 22, 1980, issue covering the death of John Lennon.

Us Weekly is on track to sell about 1.2 million copies of its issue with Jackson and two of his children on its cover with the cover line “His Final Days.” That would beat its average weekly sale for the year so far of 860,000 copies, and is also close to sales of Us Weekly’s best-selling story line this year surrounding Jon and Kate Gosselin’s disintegrating marriage.

Bauer Publishing’s In Touch sold more than one million copies of last week’s issue, which featured a split cover with Jackson and Farrah Fawcett. But sister title Life & Style used Jackson as the main cover image and sold 600,000 copies last week, a strong seller for the title.

Meanwhile, OK magazine caused controversy last week when it reportedly spent $500,000 to buy the image of a lifeless Jackson being loaded into an ambulance for its cover, a move most considered in poor taste. Figuring the cover would spark interest, OK increased its newsstand draw to 1.4 million, said sources outside of the magazine. However, early estimates forecast the issue will sell 550,000 copies, or just 100,000 more than its average weekly sale. Despite the less-than-bankable results, sources at competing titles said OK will spend another $200,000 to buy exclusive images of Jackson at home with his children for next week’s issue.

Star opted to forgo a Jackson cover, instead using an old tabloid favorite — the best and worst of celebrity beach bodies. Certainly some readers welcomed the cheeky reprieve: The issue sold a respectable 800,000 copies. — Stephanie D. Smith
wwd.com

15-07-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1e View Post
My big regret is not ever having seen Michael perform live It must have been an amazing experience

^Hopefully once the official results are announced they will put an end to all the rubbish that is being printed about MJ and he can be left to RIP. However I somehow doubt it as I guess there will always be someone ready to sell a story on him.
i know. it wouldn't have been just a concert; lucky people who got the chance to seem him live (like in Bukarest this huuuge concert)

15-07-2009
V.I.P.

^ It is only since his death and watching all his concert footage, that I had not seen before I realised exactly what I have missed out on. It looks like his shows were just out of this world......
Has anyone got any experiences of actually being at a MJ live show??

15-07-2009
front row

I am one of the luckiest people, I've been at his Istanbul concert same year as the Bucharest ,from Dangerous Tour, I was trilled a lot, I've never seen anything like that, everthing was great but I wish I could remember more. As an MJ fan, I felt very sad if I hadn't a chance to see him at the concert.

@ Fashion memory: I would like to speak for myself; I cried a lot because I felt very connected with him, he was like a childhood hero for me, I had a lot of great memories about him( not like I know him) and his songs, he was like a bridge to my childhood yet he was a true inspiration for this world. If wasn't a fan , I again felt sad because I think his life story had it's own sadness at the end. I don't know maybe I'm too emotional but he always find a way to touch my heart, do you ever admired anyone like that in your life? If yes then you'll understand.

15-07-2009
V.I.P.

^ Thanks for that Bluberry muffin ( Yum!!) Woh - lucky you, what a great experience!

I can totally understand your connection - MJ was such a big part in many people's lives and a real inspiration. His music has been a background to events and holds great memories for so many!

Last edited by Ceptuouse; 15-07-2009 at 05:51 AM.

15-07-2009
front row

I've just watched this video and it made me sad I'm sorry if it's not ok to post a video like this, the admins please free to delete it.

15-07-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
@ Fashion memory: I would like to speak for myself; I cried a lot because I felt very connected with him, he was like a childhood hero for me, I had a lot of great memories about him( not like I know him) and his songs, he was like a bridge to my childhood yet he was a true inspiration for this world. If wasn't a fan , I again felt sad because I think his life story had it's own sadness at the end. I don't know maybe I'm too emotional but he always find a way to touch my heart, do you ever admired anyone like that in your life? If yes then you'll understand.
I truly understand you, I have exactly the same feelings. I don't care when people say: "you're too emotional"...I AM and I'm proud of it. Mike is my hero and he will always be. He had such a great personality, so sensitive....I didn't know him personally but he showed us many times that as a person he was just amazing. I wish I could have someone like him by my side but I know it's impossible - there was only one Michael Jackson.

15-07-2009
V.I.P.

Blueberry your video hasn't been posted - what was it for?

hollaatdomi Your post is so sweet....it is a pity MJ didn't have someone like you, we wouldn't need this thread if he had!

Last edited by Ceptuouse; 15-07-2009 at 03:52 PM.

15-07-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry Muffin View Post
I am one of the luckiest people, I've been at his Istanbul concert same year as the Bucharest ,from Dangerous Tour, I was trilled a lot, I've never seen anything like that, everthing was great but I wish I could remember more. As an MJ fan, I felt very sad if I hadn't a chance to see him at the concert.

you are very lucky. i am jealous

15-07-2009
front row

Someone on youtube said that watching him perform was like listening to Beethoven, which is so true. The London concerts would have been the greatest comeback ever-better than Mariah's or Kate's or Britney's. It's nice to see they honored him though, and very well
He and Sammy Davis Jr. really are the greatest entertainers in history, which may explain why I love the video of him performing at Sammy's tribute-the two greatest entertainers shaking hands! And now they're both gone

16-07-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melfreya View Post
^^awww diorette at least you've seen him live before, the "this is it" tour would be my first MJ concert
I'm so sorry for you and all the fans who will never see him perform.
* Hugs *

I do know I'm very lucky.
I went to a few shows of the HIStory Tour: Paris x2, Nice, Lyon, Ostende & Copenhagen (for his birthday).
I also went to the MJ & Friends concert in Munich.
It was just phenomenal. I don't know how it describe it except and more .

I also had the chance to see him several times when he came to Paris and actually talk to him and all.

I'll cherish these memories forever.

16-07-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1e View Post
hollaatdomi Your post is so sweet....it is a pity MJ didn't have someone like you, we wouldn't need this thread if he had!
Very sweet post indeed. Michael fans are so lovely.

He did have lovely people around him but not enough.
There were always too many vampires and leeches and he never knew how to protect himself from them.

16-07-2009
V.I.P.

WOW Diorette - you are soooo lucky - you must have some amazing memories and to talk to have actually spoke to him that is fantastic. As you say it is so sad that his fans really loved him and the people around him were mainly just leaches. No wonder he always said he was happiest on stage with his true fans.

16-07-2009
V.I.P.

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not.
The second part is even better.

Michael Jackson Tribute - Stockholm. July 8, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je1KOcBYGjM

16-07-2009
front row

OMG Diorette, you're the luckiest I really wanna listen to your memories, they must be great.

Jam1e: Ooops sorry, tragically we can not reach youtube from here, it's forbidden and we try with another proxy thing but it's not always working. Anyways, it's a video a girl prepared about his vitiligo disease and operations with facts and photos, featuring great MJ tunes at the background and at the end she was saying how huge and wrong impressions the press have on us and we have to interrogate about the things that they wrote,too bad you can't watch it, it was nice , I can't remember the name of the video

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, 2011, jackson, june, march, michael, rip