How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-05-2013
backstage pass

RIP Ottavio Missoni
Quote:
Ottavio Missoni, founder of a family fashion dynasty known for a zigzag pattern, died Thursday at his home in northern Italy. He was 92.

A statement issued by Missoni SpA said he "passed away serenely" in his home in the town of Sumirago, reports The Miami Herald. The town, near the city of Varese, is also home to the company headquarters.

Ottavio Missoni founded the company in 1953 with his wife, Rosita Jelmini, who survives him. The couple's three children and their offspring become involved in working for the company and expanding the brand.

The death of the patriarch comes on the heels of a tragedy earlier this year involving his eldest child, company CEO Vittorio Missoni, 58. Vittorio disappeared with his wife and four others while flying in a small plane during a vacation to a Venezuelan island. They were never found. The company's creative director is the couple's daughter, Angela. A third child, Luca, works in a technical role in the company.

Born on Feb. 11, 1921, in what is now Dubrovnik, in Croatia, Missoni was fond of saying he came into the fashion business practically by accident. His wife's family owned a textile factory and produced shawls.

At the beginning, they produced athletic wear. Missoni had been a track-and-field star and competed in the 1948 Olympics. The Missonis, who often wore their own creations in everyday life, first showed their collection in Milan in 1966. Their collaboration with Target in 2011 was considered a huge success.
usatoday.com

09-05-2013
V.I.P.

RIP..so much respect for him

Quote:
“Life is a sequence of events, some good, some less so. What fascinates me is the role of chance. When I think that I’ve been married for 57 years to a woman I met under the statue of Eros in Trafalgar Square, I think that chance is a marvellous thing”.
http://www.vogue.it/en/people-are-ta...o-missoni-dead

vogue.it

09-05-2013
front row

R.I.P

This family is having an awful year :sad:

10-05-2013
front row

This is terrible. I'm not even a fan of Missoni but no family should have to go through something like this. They not only lost a member of their family, and are probably never going to get closure, but now they lost the one who started the whole legacy. RIP.

12-05-2013
V.I.P.

That's such a sweet quote in post #2.
I have so much sympathy for the Missoni family. After enduring what happened earlier this year about their family members missing, it's hard to know they're going through another tough time. I wish them all the best and hopefully they're able to overcome this hardship.
R.I.P. Ottavio.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
missoni, ottavio, rip