How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-08-2012
V.I.P.

'Top Gun' Director Tony Scott Jumps to His Death From Bridge
Quote:
UPDATED: The death is being treated "as a suicide investigation," a rep for the coroner's department tells THR.

Director Tony Scott, the action auteur behind such films as Top Gun and Crimson Tide, died Sunday after jumping off a bridge in what authorities are calling an apparent suicide. He was 68.

The Los Angeles County coroner's department confirms to The Hollywood Reporter that Scott's body was found after an apparent jump from the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro. The Los Angeles Times reports that contact information found inside Scott's Toyota Prius, which parked on the bridge, led authorities to a suicide note in his office.

"We are treating this as a suicide investigation," a rep for the coroner's department tells THR.

The search for Scott's body involved officers with the port police, the LAPD and the California Highway Patrol as well as the Coast Guard and city firefighters, according to the Daily Breeze, which first reported the news. Authorities reportedly had to use sonar equipment because the water is so murky around the port. His body, which was found around 4:30 p.m. by a dive team, has reportedly been turned over to coroner officials.
Scott's death was confirmed to THR by his publicist Simon Halls, who provided no further details and requested that the family's privacy be respected.

The Englishman was seven years younger than his brother and partner in Scott Free Productions, three-time Oscar-nominated director Ridley Scott.
The Scott brothers produced this year's Prometheus, which was directed by Ridley and has so far grossed $327 million worldwide.

In 1985, producers Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer signed Tony Scott to direct Top Gun, impressed by a commercial he had done for Swedish automaker Saab in the early 1980s in which a car races a fighter jet. Top Gun went on to gross $176 million domestic, rake in another $177 million overseas and cement the star power of Tom Cruise.

Scott reteamed with Simpson and Bruckheimer in 1987 to direct Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop II and in 1990 with the NASCAR-set Days of Thunder, again starring Cruise.

Scott directed five films starring Denzel Washington: Crimson Tide (1995), Man on Fire (2004), Deja Vu (2006), The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (2009) and Unstoppable (2010).

His other films include The Hunger (1982), Revenge (1990), The Last Boy Scout (1991), True Romance (1993), The Fan (1996), Enemy of the State (1998) and Spy Game (2001).

The Scott brothers co-produced the CBS series Numbers, which aired from 2005-10, and served as executive producers on another CBS drama, The Good Wife.

Tony Scott was an exec producer on The Grey this year and an exec producer on Stoker, a movie Fox Seachlight is releasing next year starring Mia Wasikowska and Nicole Kidman and written by Wentworth Miller.
The Scotts also executive produced Coma, a miniseries set to premiere Sept. 3 on A&E.

Scott, an avid rock climber and car collector, was one of the first filmmakers to make the transition from commercials to features -- he directed thousands of TV spots spot for Ridley Scott Associates, the brothers' first company, formed in 1968.

But while his films usually featured a flurry of action, be it centered on fighter jets in Top Gun, stock cars in Days of Thunder or trains in Pelham 1 2 3 or Unstoppable, he always grounded that action in realism.

"My whole career I’ve always tried to avoid CGI, whether it’s planes, cars or trains," he said during an interview before the release of The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3. "It’s something in terms of the drama and the performances that gives me a reality and more of an edge."

Survivors include Scott's third wife, North Carolina native Donna Scott, a model and actress who appeared in Days of Thunder, The Last Boy Scout and The God Wife, among her husband's projects. The couple had twin boys, Frank and Max, born in 2000.
thehollywoodreporter

So sad. I wasn't the greatest fan of his movies (they were at least entertaining), but I did love True Romance.

Last edited by LolaSvelt; 20-08-2012 at 10:04 AM.

20-08-2012
tfs star

This is so shocking. I don't know much about Tony because I follow his brother more but I wasn't expecting something like this. Feel so sorry for the family.

20-08-2012
Some Like It Hot

RIP Tony Scott
Quote:
The 68 year-old, originally from North Shields, North Tyneside, died after he plunged almost 200 feet from the Vincent Thomas Bridge, in the city's south, at lunchtime on Sunday.

Witnesses reported seeing the father-of-two calmly parking his black Toyota Prius near the bridge, before walking to the south side where he leapt off "without hesitation" just after 12:30pm local time.
Within hours of his death becoming public, a shocked Hollywood paid tribute to the younger brother of film-maker Sir Ridley Scott, who was frequently seen behind the camera in his signature faded red baseball cap.

The US Coast Guard said officials found a note listing contact information inside his car, parked on an eastbound lane of the cable-suspension bridge, the scene of several Hollywood productions.
A suicide note was later found at the downtown Los Angeles office of the Hollywood legend, who also directed Days Of Thunder and Beverly Hills Cop II. It was suggested the notes were addressed to "loved ones".
Unconfirmed reports suggested Scott, who who grew up by the river Tyne in northern England, had depression.

Today, it was believed that his actress wife, Donna Scott, who appeared in several of her husband's films, was being comforted by friends and family at their Beverly Hills home. The pair had twin 12 year-old boys Frank and Max.
He had been married twice previously, firstly to Gerry Scott whom he divorced in 1974 after seven years of marriage and the Glynis Sanders, an advertising executive whom he divorced after a year of marriage in 1987.
“I can confirm that Tony Scott has indeed passed away,” said his publicist, Simon Halls.
“The family asks that their privacy be respected at this time.”
The Los Angeles County Coroner's Office said a dive team using sonar equipment pulled the body from the murky waters in Los Angeles harbour several hours later after a massive search.
Lieutenant Joe Bale, a watch commander for the coroner's office, said there was no evidence to suggest foul play.
“At this point we are investigating this as a suicide,” he said. “There is nothing to lead us to believe otherwise. A note was left in the car.
"We will go where the facts take us. We have no reason to believe it was not a suicide."

A port mortem examination will be performed later today. One lane of the eastbound side of the bridge was closed as investigations continued by the Los Angeles Police Department and the coroner's office.
"It's a dolorous task and we're working to treat the deceased with the utmost dignity and respect," said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey.
Completed in 1963, the 6,060-foot bridge, which spans San Pedro and Terminal Island in Los Angeles, is a known suicide spot. It has been used in movies including Charlie's Angels And The Fast and the Furious.

Today colleagues and fans struggled to explain why the successful director, whose full name was Anthony David Scott, would commit suicide as many took to Twitter to post their tributes.
Over his successful career he directed more than two dozen movies and television shows and produced nearly 50 titles.
Friends told how he would always send personal, handwritten notes and "always drew a cartoon caricature of himself, smoking a cigar, with his hat colored in red".
Director Ron Howard, led tributes, saying: "No more Tony Scott movies. Tragic day."
*Telegraph.co.uk

backstage pass

There are reports circulating that he might have had inoperable brain cancer, but no confirmation on that yet.

He made some of my absolute favorite action movies...films I could watch again and again. I happened to watch Unstoppable last night before hearing the news.

Such a loss for the film community. I can't imagine what his sons and the rest of his family must be going through.

20-08-2012
Rebaptising my badness

I read the news about his death last night and I couldn't understand why he did what he did. If the brain cancer rumours are true they would somehow explain his reasons for doing it. It's so tragic.

V.I.P.

Sad for him, and for his family - especially his 12 year old sons. His films weren't really my cup of tea, but who can deny the impact of Top Gun?! May he have found peace or whatever he was looking for.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
29-08-2012
Spring of Córdoba

Tragic

V.I.P.

I did really like True Romance; it was part of that Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs thing in the early 90s, and the move towards more extreme violence in mainstream cinema.

BUT OMG!! I had no idea he directed The Hunger!!! I LOVE this film, with David Bowie, Susan Sarandon, and Catherine Deneuve. Reminds me of my goth days.

Now I feel even sadder about his passing. But yet thankful that he left behind films like these for us to continue to enjoy.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
rip, scott, tony