How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-02-2014
backstage pass

Roberto Cavalli Slams Designers Who Use Celebrities to Sell Clothes
by STEPHANIE TRONG

Quote:
Never one to shy away from voicing his opinions (remember that Twitter rampage?), colorful — or, really, just tan — Italian designer Roberto Cavalli has been dropping controversial quotes everywhere lately.

First, there was his feature in Miami’s Haute Living magazine, in which he accused Michael Kors of “copying everything,” a charge he also hurled at the designer just last December on Style.com (Cavalli’s really got a bee in his bonnet, eh?). And now comes a nice little tidbit slamming Versace, courtesy of WWD.

Before his Just Cavalli show on Thursday during Milan Fashion Week, he told the paper, “I wish fashion were less tied to communication and stars. I can’t understand all these fashion companies spending millions to dress celebrities.” He then went on to blame the media for feeding into that frenzy, and criticized Versace for its latest campaign, starring Mother Monster herself. “I don’t care to spend millions to dress Lady Gaga so that she can say she is wearing my clothes,” he remarked.

That said, Cavalli has used the likes of Kate Moss and Gisele Bundchen in his ads, so it’s not like he’s casting nobodies, either. Plus, he designed a few costumes for Miley Cyrus’ Bangerz tour, which, while not the same thing as a paid endorsement, certainly demonstrates a healthier relationship with celebrities than he’s letting on.
WWD

22-02-2014
fashion elite

I don't think he's necessarily slamming designers who use celebrities to sell clothes, all of them do, himself included. The title is kind of misleading.

He's just not willing to pay a celebrity to wear his clothes, but when they do wear it he embraces it, as do other designers.

He's right about Micheal Kors though.

22-02-2014
backstage pass

About Michael Kors and American fashion in general: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...d-designs.html

I agree with him in most of the points in that link, included what about MK. 'He’s not American fashion. He is international fashion made in America,’

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cavalli, celebrities, clothes, designers, roberto, sell, slams