How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-08-2010
doldrums

Well if I wore MAC I definitely would boycott their products if this line were distributed. I don't believe Rodarte fully grasped the concept of the plight of women and their families by naming a nail polish 'Juarez'. It's not only in poor taste it's also this disregard of understanding or perhaps having empathy for others who aren't in their world see fashion, rich, the established, the famous etc.

18-08-2010
V.I.P.

It just doesnt seem like Rodarte had much incite in naming the products
i think they probably just chose the colors...Either way bad idea to just cancel it
it would have been just as easy to rename the products

19-08-2010
in the mood for love

Don't know how I feel about this. I was excited about the collection and it's a pity it got cancelled... But the names were a little insensitive, I guess. I agree that renaming the products probably would have been sufficient.

V.I.P.

cosmetic companies actually spend a lot of money vetting and deciding on product names. mac was completely short sighted to defer to rodarte on the names.

my initial impression when i first saw the promo images months ago without reading the names of the products that the line was inspired by a dead girl.

did anyone else get that impression?

(image - refinery29)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macrodarte1.jpg (10.6 KB, 165 views)

trendsetter

i would think maybe they took the 'day of the dead' idea?

21-08-2010
V.I.P.

The whole issue was a little complex for me to grasp, but after doing some research, I now know what the whole basis of the issue is about. I mean, it seems like it correlates with their last collection so the hype for it was there for me. I, personally, think the names sound pretty interesting for a cosmetics brand but understanding what is happening in Juarez and what's really going on just makes me sick. They really should've done their research. It's very disrespectful to the people who actually are enduring this problem.

fashion insider

Hmmm... I dont know what to think. I come from Mexico and through my whole childhood I always heard about murdered girls in Juarez, but I guess it is offensive because they're naming their make-up line after a town that has way too much crime and how pretty would it look if they had named it "Holocaust" or "Hurricane Katrina".

22-08-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungla_Juana View Post
The thought of a ditzy girl skipping around MAC picking up "Quinceanera" and "Factory" to show off on her Youtube makeup channel made me sick.

How devoted to the cause are the Rodarte sisters exactly? They don't strike me as activist designers, like for example Franco Moschino, who constantly used fashion to convey a witty commentary on politics and the fashion world... which is why I am disgusted that they would choose this ongoing violation of human rights as their oddball inspiration of the season.
I totally agree

22-08-2010
trendsetter

Sorry but thats just an over reaction. Its not like they based the line on the violence that occured in this town and called a red lipstick 'murder'....

I think ghost town and factory sound cool...why would anyone be offended by that?

Rebaptising my badness

My goodness, the shallowness of some people...

I'm glad that some of you in this thread spoke out to counteract the insensitivity of the other posts. Would anyone feel comfortable buying an eyeshadow duo called 'Twin Towers' or a blush called '9/11'? Or maybe an 'Auschwitz' gray-ish green nail varnish would be more to your liking?

Meg
inspired contemplation

It shows disrespect because they are taking real issues and glossing them over as "exotic" or "edgy" to make money and fit with a design aesthetic. It's like the London bar/club 'Favela Chic' which capitalizes on a perceived sexy dirty glamour of favelas. I'm sure people living there don't necessarily feel that way.

To me, the most disturbing thing is that they took a road trip through Texas and then decided to do a collection about Mexico. So what - they couldn't even be bothered to go to Mexico? Of course, their cultures overlap in many ways but I think it's quite bizarre, especially for two such educated women.

Regardless - I don't think they should have cancelled the line. I think re-branding and establishing a charity was a good move and brought more attention to the cause. But as someone else said, these colors and packaging will certainly be brought out as part of another collection.

22-08-2010
trendsetter

i don't know about the name favela chic, i'm a native from rio de janeiro, home of the biggest favela in the world, rocinha, and two days ago 70, seventy, thieves armed with machine guns ran on the streets of that neighbourhood shooting aimlessly towards the buildings (it was 8am, people were still sleeping), the police and anyone that was around could've been hurt. that being said, i'm not taking direct offense of the fact that the restaurant is named that. first of all, one (if not two, i forget) of the owners is brazilian and knows fully well of our day to day reality. second of all, i do think sometimes people do it with good intentions and try to show the beauty of it, or even, a "beautyfied" version of some place or something that is usually seen as sad. that being said i don't think they intentionally ignored the reality in the favelas and just thought the name sounded good, specially knowing that the people involved are indeed brazilian and well familiar with the reality.

bear in mind, juarez is still a mexican city and a lot happens there apart from all the cruelty and violence. as i've said before, i DO think it's offensive but to be honest i consider two possibilities a) either the designers themselves had nothing to do with the name choice (MAC went up to them, suggest is 'oh it's a name of a city? cool, i like the sound of it, let's do it') or they went with the 'looking for beauty somewhere that's known for being sad' sort of thing.

i don't know, it's confusing and i think they should've released a clearer statement of facts before just pulling it altogether.

/end rant

Last edited by Katie123; 22-08-2010 at 11:20 PM.
22-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
rather a shame people are that sensitive. yes there is a lot that's going on down there,but perhaps the girls were just trying to search for a bit of beauty amongst the ugliness that exists there.
Quote:
Please! People are so whiny. Everyone has to walk on eggshells these days. For God's sake, it's MAC! They have a pale pink lip gloss called 'underage'...it's always been a little edgy.
Quote:
or they went with the 'looking for beauty somewhere that's known for being sad' sort of thing.
To put in in perspective, giving this line names such as "Juarez" and "Ghost Town" is the same as if MAC were to name the line "Auschwitz" and "gas chambers"; or "Chernobyl" and "radiation". Or "9/11" and "Twin Towers."

Not so tragically beautiful or worth "beautifying" anymore is it?

Juarez has been featured heavily in the media, as as another poster said, makeup companies spend a lot of time on deciding names, so I HIGHLY doubt MAC was unaware of the sensitivity of this name - which makes their decision to go ahead with it all the more disgusting.

The Juarez murders are not what I would lightly label as a "sad" situation. It is not something one should take lightly or "glamorized". Girls are being kidnapped, raped and murdered in horrific ways and numbers.

I encourage everyone to google Juarez first and read up on the situation that is going on before commenting on the MAC-Rodarte collaboration. It seems that a few of you don't quite grasp the magnitude of these murders.

But satisfaction brought it back

Last edited by eternitygoddess; 22-08-2010 at 11:39 PM.
23-08-2010
Rebaptising my badness

In case anyone is actually interested in knowing the dark, ugly truth about the femicides in Juárez, here's an article from 2003: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/s...ciudad_juarez/

V.I.P.

^ thank you, Nemova.

The whole situation is just sad as it is frightening.. I don't think even the investigators have really come close to find out what type of organization is really behind it.

Jennifer Lopez produced a film on Juarez some years ago, now I know "J-Lo" has a certain reputation, which made me hesitant on watching the film but she really managed to capture and transmit the reality and risks and fear these young working women go through everyday. Here's the link if anyone wants to watch it.

As for the favela comparison a few posts above, I'm sure they're both distasteful but I think it's a violence that's bound to occur out of social segregation, which on different (smaller, bigger, mafia sponsored.. or not?) scales exists in most countries.. I can think of similar words for that in different places, from ghetto to barrio to villa miseria, it may not be as organized as in Rio but it exists mostly everywhere, it's loud and explicit and at least by word of mouth it often has a face, the problem is that it has not been controlled... I guess it's really expected someone will take the piss out of it, especially if you're a local and have learned to find humor on the whole situation (not the violence, but the lack of control by the people that are supposed to control it) and like you said, Katie, sort of find beauty or identity on such an unfortunate situation, too.

The Juarez murders are completely different, that's where the issue lies for me, like I said in the previous page, they're a series of attacks that target women only, of a certain ethnicity, a certain occupation, specific social class and follow horrific (and often identical) methods before killing them, it's been happening since around 20 years, NO ONE has taken responsibility for it (if you ignore decoys) and everyone has proved to be involved in some way (governments on both sides of the border included).
So, they're both sad situations but very distinct.. and I think even the Rodarte girls got confused about that too and thought what's happened to women in Juarez is what that exotic 'ghost' town in a country that celebrates the dead is just bound to do when it's actually an unsolved genocide that continues to this day.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cancelled, mac, rodarte