How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-08-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
To put in in perspective, giving this line names such as "Juarez" and "Ghost Town" is the same as if MAC were to name the line "Auschwitz" and "gas chambers"; or "Chernobyl" and "radiation". Or "9/11" and "Twin Towers."

Not so tragically beautiful or worth "beautifying" anymore is it?

Juarez has been featured heavily in the media, as as another poster said, makeup companies spend a lot of time on deciding names, so I HIGHLY doubt MAC was unaware of the sensitivity of this name - which makes their decision to go ahead with it all the more disgusting.

The Juarez murders are not what I would lightly label as a "sad" situation. It is not something one should take lightly or "glamorized". Girls are being kidnapped, raped and murdered in horrific ways and numbers.

I encourage everyone to google Juarez first and read up on the situation that is going on before commenting on the MAC-Rodarte collaboration. It seems that a few of you don't quite grasp the magnitude of these murders.
i happen to know quite well what it's like to live in a city with a parallel power and feeling that you're a prisoner in your own home. as i said in the post, i went through a dangerous situation two days ago where i was woken up by gunshots that were so loud and continuous i thought they were fireworks.

i actually take offense in people coming here thinking that just because our opinions differ, it obviously means we didn't do our homework. i've already said before that i do understand why there's a reason to be offended by i don't think it should've been pulled, and tried to understand and argue why the company would do such thing since i agree they have enough money and structure to do a thorough research. And i don't think comparing a horrible event like 9/11 is the same as a TOWN, not just an event. juarez is much more than just all the horribleness that happens there.

i get extremely annoyed when people automatically think of crimes and slutty women when they mention Rio, since we're much more than that and we live our lives in this city, we don't just exist. As screwed up as the situation in Juarez is, as it's in Rio btw, where the crime and murder rates are sky-high, there are still people living there trying to make ends meet and i'm sure a constant reminder of how dangerous their city is is not something they enjoy. so maybe, just MAYBE they'd rather be seen differently at least once. that was just looking at it in a different angle and thinking maybe MAC didn't mean to rub their wounds and were actually trying to be nice but as you can obviously tell it backfired.

23-08-2010
Meg
inspired contemplation

I think my point about favela's has been taken way out of context. I wasn't trying to draw an analogy between what happens in Juarez and what happens in favela's at all - my only point was that it was an example of someone taking something that is considered "exotic" and "dangerous" to outsiders and glamourizing it. And the Brazilian owners are playing to a foreign perception of favelas - not a Brazilian conception.

23-08-2010
trendsetter

i didn't think you were, i just noticed you bring up a favela topic and decided to compare it myself because it's something that's close to home for me and i do understand and not only discuss it after reading on the internet etc.

yeah i do think the owners did a foreign perception of the favelas, they opened the first one in paris, didn't they? that doesn't mean they don't understand about it!

23-08-2010
scenester

As being someone that lives in a city next to Juarez (I can see it from my backyard), I understand why people might be offended by it. Its a problem that is happening everyday for the last couple of years. Just go to a website for any news paper in Juarez and you will see that lately around 10 people are killed everyday. There are real people in the city, not just criminals, and sadly they chose to focus on that. Really want to help the family of the girls? There are so many things in that city that could inspire a makeup collection. If it was to fit the collection, which had a lot of matte colors, why not focus on the dunes? There is a lot of rich culture in the El Paso-Juarez border but I guess controversy does sell.

23-08-2010
trendsetter

how do you know they focused on the criminals because they used matte colours?

25-08-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie123 View Post
how do you know they focused on the criminals because they used matte colours?
I said Rodarte's latest collection had a lot of matte colors, I never said matte colors had anything to do with criminals. If they wanted to pick something significant of the region, the dunes would have fit in perfectly with their collection.

25-08-2010
trendsetter

Oh i just assumed that when you said "There are real people in the city, not just criminals, and sadly they chose to focus on that." you were saying that they did the collection focusing on the criminals and the violence of the city, which we'll never know cos they never explained their inspirations and whatnot. I suppose the people who are definitely focusing on the criminality aspect of it are the ones criticising the name choice.

But i agree with you that the region's got a lot more to offer.

27-08-2010
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionturnip View Post

Sorry but thats just an over reaction. Its not like they based the line on the violence that occured in this town and called a red lipstick 'murder'....

I think ghost town and factory sound cool...why would anyone be offended by that?
It may sound "cool" to you because you live with the privilege to not have to deal with this on a daily basis. For the people of Juarez, especially the women, this is something they deal with daily. To call makeup "ghost town", "factory", and "Juarez" when every day they have to deal with murders, rapes, and terrible working conditions. It diminishes their reality by commercializing it and making it into makeup that can only be afforded and access by the privileged.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cancelled, mac, rodarte