How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-08-2010
tfs star

Rodarte and Mac Cancelled?
Quote:
All it took was one upset blogger to start a firestorm of backlash that would lead to the cancellation of M.A.C.'s Rodarte makeup line. Slated for launch in September and highly anticipated in the fashion and beauty worlds, the line was inspired by a road trip the Rodarte designers took through Texas, and included a nail polish called "Juarez," after an impoverished, violence-plagued town in Mexico. Products called "Ghost Town" and "Factory" were likewise met with disapproval. After M.A.C. and Rodarte apologized for the Internet-identified gaffe, and then promised to set up a charity initiative to help victims in Juarez, and then decided to change the names of the products in the collection, the makeup company has decided not to ship the line at all.

M.A.C. announced the cancellation in a statement posted to the company's Facebook page. The charity initiatives are still on, but both Rodarte and M.A.C. still seem quite worried about all the offense they feel they have caused. The statement:

Out of respect for the people of Mexico, the women and girls of Juarez and their families, as well as our MAC Mexican staff and colleagues, MAC has made the decision not to ship the MAC Rodarte limited edition makeup collection. This decision will have no impact on MAC’s commitment to donate all of its projected global profits from this collection to local and international groups that work to improve the lives of the women and girls of Juarez. We are currently conducting due diligence to ensure we donate to organizations with a proven record of directly supporting the women and girls of Juarez. MAC and Rodarte are deeply and sincerely sorry and we apologize to everyone we offended. We have listened very closely to the feedback of concerned global citizens. We are doing our very best to right this wrong. The essence of MAC is to give back and care for the community and Rodarte is committed to using creativity for positive social change. We are grateful for the opportunity to use what we have learned to raise awareness on this important issue.

M.A.C. seems to have done absolutely everything it could to smooth things over, but every time they make a new decision about how bad they feel, it just calls attention to the original problem. And the product may still appear in some magazines, which could have shot it long before M.A.C. decided not to ship it. Meanwhile, hey, lots of things can be really offensive if we want them to be!

One word. One nail polish. One blog post. Thousands of online comments. Now this.
This is just sorry. It was a beautiful line. Yet again something is ruined because people must find controversy wherever they can.

thecut

Last edited by GivenchyHomme; 17-08-2010 at 01:09 PM.

17-08-2010
fashion elite

I actually thought that the controversy was justified , but that just me.I actually cant believe that they didnt know about Juarez and i find it a coincidence that they named some of their products Ghosttown and Factory .

17-08-2010
little soul

Well this is MAC so they'll rename and release the colours in another collection I'm sure

Stitch:the Hand

rather a shame people are that sensitive. yes there is a lot that's going on down there,but perhaps the girls were just trying to search for a bit of beauty amongst the ugliness that exists there.

17-08-2010
trendsetter

i think there WAS a reason for all the uproar, i mean MAC is a massive company, surely they invest loads in their research on names in order to try to please everybody?

i don't think it's a reason to cancel it altogether though. they apologised, said the money would go on to help victims in juarez, didn't they? surely they've admitted the mistake and should just re-name it and move on with it...

17-08-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
rather a shame people are that sensitive. yes there is a lot that's going on down there,but perhaps the girls were just trying to search for a bit of beauty amongst the ugliness that exists there.
Sensitive ? Girls are being raped and murdered ,thrown away like their lives had no meaning on a regular basis.This is RODARTE being pretentious and it backfired.Them cancelling was their own decision and they could have renamed the package and release it later.

Last edited by modela; 17-08-2010 at 04:33 PM.
17-08-2010
V.I.P.

^And you think a nail polish named 'Juarez' is condoning and supporting that?!

Please! People are so whiny. Everyone has to walk on eggshells these days. For God's sake, it's MAC! They have a pale pink lip gloss called 'underage'...it's always been a little edgy.

17-08-2010
fashion elite

I have never said that MAC was condoning what happened in Mexico.!!!

17-08-2010
V.I.P.

I found the theme of the collection to be a very touching one when they described it as being inspired by the murders of Juarez and the victims and how young they are and the lives they could've led.. I was happy someone thought about them like that instead of just something too horrible to be shared, and I was happy too for the attention they brought to the cases..
That being said, the Mac line was just completely tasteless.. people say well that's what happens there, that's how it is, get over it and certainly forget that even if it all looks very messy in Juarez right now, the current Cartel war is unrelated to the sexist murders that have been happening there for almost two decades, what they have in common is the government, but they're separated subjects and the murders of Juarez, if some research is done, follow very specific methods of killing women.. they're often indigenous, they work at factories and they're tortured right before they're murdered.. so, to name an eyeshadow (whatever that was) "factory", I'm sorry but.. ??!, it's just offensive, you can present a line that supports the investigations and families of the victims without having to use the profiles of the murder so literally and almost show it like a creepy souvenir of a 'ghost town'.. Juarez is not a ghost town, it's a city that's been through a lot and a city where real people live and are NOT used to the violence and fear they're being under right now.. I only wish the Rodarte girls had actually spent some time there to realise that and sensibilise with the actual situation instead of drawing their conclusions from afar and get quirky about it.

For some reason, their whole line reminds me of the 'toxic' themed party in the Virgin Suicides movie. A twisted sense of humor is necessary but when it's uninformed and superficial, the wit goes away and it becomes more something to feel second-hand embarrassment for.

don't look down

I look forward to them producing a grey eyeshadow set called 'twin towers'. The search for beauty must go on! It can probably be found everywhere - as long as you don't think too much about it. Because it's such a drag when social sensitivities get in the way of enjoying things like nail varnish. I know what's more important, and so will you when you see my nails! Because the worst thing ever would be to whine about the subject, you know, and companies shouldn't have to fear someone spoiling the fun by pointing out issues about their marketing vocabulary. We live to shop, not die in a ditch, so this situation represents a real inconvenience to us.

V.I.P.

Well said, Mulletproof! I'm usually not easily offended by anyone's creative outburst and can appreciate many forms of art and all its controversy but that's definietly taking it too far. It's neither funny nor is there any relevance to naming a nail polish after a series of murder which goes on killing people and destroying so many lives.
I think MAC made the right decision by pulling out of this. I can't imagine they could have helped the victims much by donating money from the sales of an absurdly named nail polish. It's a big faux pas on their side to not have realized this sooner.

17-08-2010
technicolor tweed

The thought of a ditzy girl skipping around MAC picking up "Quinceanera" and "Factory" to show off on her Youtube makeup channel made me sick.

How devoted to the cause are the Rodarte sisters exactly? They don't strike me as activist designers, like for example Franco Moschino, who constantly used fashion to convey a witty commentary on politics and the fashion world... which is why I am disgusted that they would choose this ongoing violation of human rights as their oddball inspiration of the season.

17-08-2010
Mr. Zhivago

The attitude of The Cut's article is disgusting.

17-08-2010
trendsetter

Just wondering, what would be the color of the "Juarez" nail polish, red? I don't quite get the whole idea behind naming products (or kids) after cities. Well, I could see why someone would want to name an eye shadow "blue lagoon" for the beauty of the color, but Juarez is just plain stupid in my opinion. People buy products because they are or the name might be synonymous with something beautiful or something that makes them feel better more beautiful. i agree about abandoning the line strictly because the names were absolute nonsense.

18-08-2010
fashion insider

Well,the first time I heard about a nail polish called "Juarez" I was like uhmm what?Seriously? What tone is that nail polish? Idk I guess I was just curious and although the line sounded cool (They were going to launch the line oficially on september 16 which relates to some act in Mexico's independence,I think) and apparently everything was related to the beauty and colors of Mexico,etc,I wasn't very fond of the idea.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cancelled, mac, rodarte