How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-01-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
glee is the number one show among 12-17 year olds in the united states, and the number four show among 18-49 year olds in the united states. even on an 'off week' the show rakes in four to five million viewers and during good weeks this soars to TWELVE MILLION VIEWERS in the united states alone. that's more than watch the MTV Video Music Awards; do you think they'd decline an appearance on that show because "they haven't heard of it?"

secondarily, the songs featured on glee go on to have a second life as hit downloads on itunes. it's the only show on television that directly incorporates the music of popular artists into its weekly storyline. in that way, it's significant no matter your opinion of the show. it's like an artist five years ago saying "i never heard of itunes and i don't need that exposure." it's simply not logical for a popular recording artist which kings of leon IS no matter what they say. i've been to one of their concerts, they're in the business of turning tickets, make no mistake.

being "huge" has nothing to do with it. they are not the best selling artist of all time. they could use the boost in sales and image a show like glee provides period. an argument about not needing the exposure like glee's would work perhaps for an indie band that does NOT want to cultivate a popular following. but CLEARLY kings of leon is not on that path.
They clearly do not want to be associated with the Glee brand and i can totally understand why.
Plus KOL already have a huge credibility problem at the moment, the last thing they needs is hordes of their core fan base to speak in outrage against it. Yes they are not an indie band now, but they were a very successful indie band, they are still trying a totally impossible balancing act between totally selling out and pleasing the original fans.
I do not Know the why the wrong kind of exposure , even if it brings in the millions, is a positive thing, Glee is a joke, as a KOL fan, the last time i said something positive about them was when they refused their music to be used in this god awful TV show.

28-01-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
Who is saying that they are?

Did you ignore my comment when I said that they didn't like that their song, Use Somebody, was getting overexposed? Of course they didn't want to use it again. It's really as simple as that. I have no idea why you are talking about their popularity. They are popular enough. All you need to do is look at how many hits their songs get on YouTube. It might not be on the same level as Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga, but the alternative/indie genre is not as accessible as the pop genre, evidently.
I find this comment absolutely ridiculous. They can do whatever they want to do.
either you espouse an idealistic view or an ignorant view of the realities of the PROFESSIONAL music business. again, if they were an HONESTLY independent music band (independent meaning NOT depenedent on a record label), then you might have a point, but these record labels demand certain sacrifices in return for the MILLIONS of dollars they dole out. that's why ACTUAL independent musicians refuse to sign with MAJOR labels like that. it compromises the integrity FROM THE JUMP.

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
They clearly do not want to be associated with the Glee brand and i can totally understand why.
Plus KOL already have a huge credibility problem at the moment, the last thing they needs is hordes of their core fan base to speak in outrage against it. Yes they are not an indie band now, but they were a very successful indie band, they are still trying a totally impossible balancing act between totally selling out and pleasing the original fans.
I do not Know the why the wrong kind of exposure , even if it brings in the millions, is a positive thing, Glee is a joke, as a KOL fan, the last time i said something positive about them was when they refused their music to be used in this god awful TV show.
that might hold water if they knew what "glee was! you're projecting your own knowledge and opinion about the show onto them when their statement runs counter. further, if they wish not to associate with the show, perpetuating this fight does nothing but make that association stronger.

V.I.P.

Ryan does need to take a chill pill and KOL have always had a reputation of being a-holes so what's new there. But at the end of the day Paul McCartney's handing him unheard music and Madonna gives access to her whole catalogue so who cares if one band doesn't want to be on your show.

I can't believe how this whole thing has blown up. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

28-01-2011
V.I.P.

Both were being insulting and condescending to each other... no doubt about that. But Ryan Murphy didn't need to get so worked up over KOL refusing to allow their song to be used in the first place. It's their right, Geez

Last edited by Mary-Anne; 28-01-2011 at 07:19 PM.
28-01-2011
trendsetter

I love how people in here are somewhat implying how above and beyond KOL is to even be featured in Glee.

And from what I've read, most of the people defending KOL as purely innocent in the matter and downright blaming Ryan for the whole issue really are stemming their opinions on from their Glee hate.

I'm sorry, but if you don't like Glee, then you can just say so. There's no use trying to defend why you hate it by calling it contrived, stupid, or filled with less than amazing singers because really Lea's resume can prove otherwise. Just say you don't just because you don't.

28-01-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
that might hold water if they knew what "glee was! you're projecting your own knowledge and opinion about the show onto them when their statement runs counter. further, if they wish not to associate with the show, perpetuating this fight does nothing but make that association stronger.
Do you actually believe they do not Know what Glee is? Or that they do not have people that explain to them in detail what Glee represents? If it's a good or a bad idea that let them use their music? That they just dismiss it because they do not watch it? They are a million dollar business now, those decisions are taking carefully.

Regardless of my opinion about the show, Glee is everything that KOL try not to be, you do not need to be a marketing genius to understand that being associated with a show that your core fan base does not identify with, it's not a good idea. They clearly have no problem perpetuating the idea they are the anti-Glee, they are accused of being sell outs so many times, that they will hold the fact that they refused to be part of one of the most popular shows in America as a badge of honour.

29-01-2011
backstage pass

Oh wow, what a whiny egocentric bitch that Ryan is. What did he expect, that being featured on Glee is so prestigious that it can't be turned down ? Yes it can, sorry moron.

30-01-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Do you actually believe they do not Know what Glee is? Or that they do not have people that explain to them in detail what Glee represents? If it's a good or a bad idea that let them use their music? That they just dismiss it because they do not watch it? They are a million dollar business now, those decisions are taking carefully.

Regardless of my opinion about the show, Glee is everything that KOL try not to be, you do not need to be a marketing genius to understand that being associated with a show that your core fan base does not identify with, it's not a good idea. They clearly have no problem perpetuating the idea they are the anti-Glee, they are accused of being sell outs so many times, that they will hold the fact that they refused to be part of one of the most popular shows in America as a badge of honour.
then, why say it? that's the thing about public statements....

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDeLit View Post
Oh wow, what a whiny egocentric bitch that Ryan is. What did he expect, that being featured on Glee is so prestigious that it can't be turned down ? Yes it can, sorry moron.
how dare he? he only lords over a ratings' hit that won the golden globe for best television series, comedy or musical. how dare he have any airs!

i've met producers who put together one off-off-broadway show with more haughtiness than this exchange has let on.

V.I.P.

It's annoying how some people can be like "I hate Glee because it's too mainstream!". Same thing goes with other pop culture sensations, like Lady GaGa or Paris Hilton. We all get it, you are indie and you hate everything that's popular, but I don't see the need to bash it. I personally is a fan of pop culture but I never call indie bands "stupid". Anyways back on topic, I do agree that Ryan Murphy blew it out of proportion. As for Kings of Leon, it's their loss not Glee's.

30-01-2011
fashion insider

I hate Glee and this debacle comforts me in my opinion.

30-01-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

it's also kind of funny that kings of leon let american idol use their music but not glee.

fashion insider

Quote:
it's also kind of funny that kings of leon let american idol use their music but not glee.
Well there is a world of difference between American Idol and Glee. Besides the fact that Glee is much worse. It would be the height of preciousness not letting random people that are participating in a contest cover your music.

Plus I do not know about copyright laws in America, but in the UK you do not need permission from the band to cover their songs the way American Idol and X Factor do it. If then the show itself wants to cover the song, like the winners song in the X factor , basically what Glee is asking, only then you will ask permission to use it from the copyright holders. You still can cover the song even if they refuse, but the use of the song would be much more restricted and the royalties much bigger.

30-01-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Well there is a world of difference between American Idol and Glee. Besides the fact that Glee is much worse. It would be the height of preciousness not letting random people that are participating in a contest cover your music.

Plus I do not know about copyright laws in America, but in the UK you do not need permission from the band to cover their songs the way American Idol and X Factor do it. If then the show itself wants to cover the song, like the winners song in the X factor , basically what Glee is asking, only then you will ask permission to use it from the copyright holders. You still can cover the song even if they refuse, but the use of the song would be much more restricted and the royalties much bigger.
they used the song as the closing number in the american idol concert series; you definitely need permission for that sort of thing. and those concerts certainly have the same amount of tween sensation/cheese factor as an episode of glee.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
kings, leon, murphy, ryan, slash