How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-01-2011
Mr. Magic

Did Ryan really had to respond with F you? He just made a huge red mark on Glee's face.

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

30-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
how dare he? he only lords over a ratings' hit that won the golden globe for best television series, comedy or musical. how dare he have any airs!

Yes how dare he. Even with all the awards in the world, nor KOL nor anyone should feel compelled to accept this proposition just because the show is successful A lot of people think Glee is rubbish by the way.

30-01-2011
V.I.P.

I cannot wait till Glee's 15 minutes of fame are up and we don't have to hear about it, in the same fashion we don't hear about Desperate Housewives anymore. I enjoy the music on the show and Sue Sylvester is a hoot and a half, but the show is so painful to watch because of how brutally awful the writing is. I can't stand all those sassy characters and how cliche everything is about them.

And Ryan Murphy needs to start acting like a grown-up not a butt-hurt teenager. Badmouthing KOL (I don't even care for them) and then acting so high and mighty when they respond? Seriously, grow up dude. Not everyone is in love with your show as you are.

fashion insider

Quote:
they used the song as the closing number in the american idol concert series; you definitely need permission for that sort of thing. and those concerts certainly have the same amount of tween sensation/cheese factor as an episode of glee.
You do not need to ask permission to perform a song live. The US law is actually the same as UK law. I checked.

http://www.indieguide.com/wiki/page/...ongs_and_Loops

Plus American Idol and shows like those pay royalties to the publishers of the songs to use their catalogue. Like any LIVE venue would, is not like every week they go after the artists asking permission for their songs to be sang.
If they want the record then to be sold, the way they do in the X factor with the winners song, then they do have to ask, not that they will strictly need their permission.

Regardless, there is a world of difference between American Idol and Glee, it would be ridiculous to the extreme to forbid your song to be sang by participants in a contest, the show has no particular agenda. It's not because
Glee is frankly tacky and watched by tweens that would be bad for the KOL brand to be associated with it.

30-01-2011
V.I.P.

Sorry but having your music feature on a reality show vs a prime time award winning comedy/drama is way more satisfying as an artist.

Most if not all actors/artists want any type of reality show to go away. I doubt The Who would rather their music be on the Amazing Race over CSI. Lou Reed said no to Susan Boyle. There was some "press release" saying it was a mistake by the producers but notice he hadn't denied the story.

Anyone else remember when Britain's first reality show group Hear'Say performed at the Brit Awards the whole room booed them. It was really embarrassing for them.

Reality show winners are not 100% respected in the industry. Music insiders hate what Simon Cowell has done to the music industry especially the whole hoopla around Xmas No 1.

31-01-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
You do not need to ask permission to perform a song live. The US law is actually the same as UK law. I checked.

Plus American Idol and shows like those pay royalties to the publishers of the songs to use their catalogue. Like any LIVE venue would, is not like every week they go after the artists asking permission for their songs to be sang.
If they want the record then to be sold, the way they do in the X factor with the winners song, then they do have to ask, not that they will strictly need their permission.

Regardless, there is a world of difference between American Idol and Glee, it would be ridiculous to the extreme to forbid your song to be sang by participants in a contest, the show has no particular agenda. It's not because
Glee is frankly tacky and watched by tweens that would be bad for the KOL brand to be associated with it.
thank you for that link i have learned something today. we'll have to agree to disagree however since i do believe that professionally it would've had the selfsame effect if kings of leon made a stink about their song getting used by the american idol gang. it's the same audience. and i guess, by this measure, it makes it even more foolish for kings of leon to get in a spat with the show since, according to the link, glee could just shoot a live episode and/or stage a concert to inch around the permission issue....

fashion icon

Quote:

Well that was way too rude. I would never call myself a tween but I love the show and so do many grown up people I know. And although RM can be annoying sometimes I still have more respect for him than those KoL guys who I couldn't care less about.

you soft and only

Quote:
It's not because
As if tweens don't listen to Kings of Leon.

I'm so sick of Kings of Leon and their fans acting like they're the second coming of The Band or something when they're just another mediocre rock band. You might as well be listening to Nickelback.

31-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
I hate Glee. Anyone that doesn't like Glee gets my full support.
im with you
i have no idea what the law says about this, but i saw the pilot and that was enough.
KOL may not be the best band in the world, but they are fine
Slash is a legend

31-01-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
As if tweens don't listen to Kings of Leon.

I'm so sick of Kings of Leon and their fans acting like they're the second coming of The Band or something when they're just another mediocre rock band. You might as well be listening to Nickelback.
Where was the part that is NOT because it's frankly tacky and watched by tween did you and the last poster before you did not understood. Sometimes I despair...

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 31-01-2011 at 06:35 AM.
31-01-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
thank you for that link i have learned something today. we'll have to agree to disagree however since i do believe that professionally it would've had the selfsame effect if kings of leon made a stink about their song getting used by the american idol gang. it's the same audience. and i guess, by this measure, it makes it even more foolish for kings of leon to get in a spat with the show since, according to the link, glee could just shoot a live episode and/or stage a concert to inch around the permission issue....
True. They do not have strictly to have their permission, they could just cover the song, pay them the highest rate for royalties and comply with a bit more restrictions than usual. But why would they? Like you said it yourself, the profile of Glee is much higher in the Us than the profile of KOL, why would they need to use songs by artists that do not want to be associated with them and i'm sure most pop artists are falling over each to have their songs in an episode.
That's exactly why his hysterical reaction to it is baffling, but like you said we just have to agree to disagree.

03-02-2011
V.I.P.

KOL songs have been featured on the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show so I doubt if they really are "above" licensing their songs for mass consumption. If Caleb's statement to US magazine (quoted below) had been the only response, then KOL would have had the high ground, but unfortunately they lost that position when the other member got involved.

Quote:
"This whole Glee thing is a shock to us... At the time of the request, we hadn't even seen the show. This was never meant as a slap in the face to Glee or to music education or to fans of the show. We're not sure where the anger is coming from. We just said no to a license for a TV show, which we do a lot."

Last edited by agee; 03-02-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
kings, leon, murphy, ryan, slash