How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-12-2010
fashion insider

Sara Ziff Is Creating a Model Alliance to Protect Models
Quote:
>> Sara Ziff first mentioned wanting to start a professional organization for models back in October. Now, more details are out about the organization, dubbed The Model Alliance, which will be formed by Ziff in conjunction with Fordham University’s Fashion Law Institute.

“The modeling industry is essentially unregulated,” said Ziff in an interview. “As independent contractors, models don’t have the same basic workplace protection as a lot of other industries do. They don’t have workmen’s compensation. They often don’t have access to affordable health coverage. There are no provisions for rest and meal breaks [during work hours]. There is little recourse for issues of sexual harassment and sexual abuse. And a lot of modeling agencies have a huge amount of power over international girls because they sponsor their visas.”

Ziff is currently working with The Fashion Law Institute to create a clinic for models to share their biggest problems and concerns, though she hasn't begun recruiting any models for the organization.
fashionologie.com

These are really good news! I find admirable her consistency and involvement in protecting models from any kind of abuse in the industry.

28-12-2010
rising star

It's a great news ! It was about time that models are considered as workers like any others, particularly when so many girls aren't over 18.

But it's pretty sure they will be pressured. Most agency would probably tell the girls that it's a bad idea to join an alliance.

28-12-2010
V.I.P.

Good for her!

28-12-2010
V.I.P.

Wow. Go Ziff.

28-12-2010
V.I.P.

Great news!!!!!

28-12-2010
tfs star

Go Sara :d

V.I.P.

That's great news!

V.I.P.

Sara earns a big thumbs up for this! Can't believe that this is only just happening in late 2010.

28-12-2010
tfs star

I really hope she gets it off the ground..

V.I.P.

^Me too!
She is in for a huge uphill battle - wishes her all the luck in the world.

28-12-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
She is in for a huge uphill battle - wishes her all the luck in the world.
and that's an understatement.

This from the Fashion Law institute - Fordham Law website:
Quote:
Fordham Law has launched the Fashion Law Institute, the world's first fashion law center. The Institute will provide legal services for design students and designers, train the fashion lawyers and designers of the future, and offer information and assistance on issues facing the fashion industry. It was created with the generous support and advice of the Council of Fashion Designers of America and its President Diane von Furstenberg.
The Institute is directed by Professor Susan Scafidi, who pioneered the field of fashion law. She created the first U.S. law school course in the area and is internationally recognized for her expertise.
Working in partnership with CFDA Foundation, the Institute will provide Fordham Law students with opportunities to become leaders in this emerging field. Students will develop skills in diverse areas of the law that affect the fashion industry, including intellectual property, business and finance, international trade and government regulation, and consumer culture and civil rights.

In addition to the CFDA Foundation, the Fashion Law Institute will be supported by an advisory board including distinguished members of the fashion industry and the bar.
The Law School's proximity to Manhattan’s Garment District will facilitate frequent interaction between the Fordham Law community and members of the fashion industry, including opportunities for internships at some of the world’s best-known fashion houses. Additionally, now that New York Fashion Week has moved to Lincoln Center's Damrosch Park, fashion will literally be right outside the Law School's front door.
Two things:
1) I wonder how the Model Alliance will be funded? because I see a HUGE conflict of interest as the funding stands now.
2) I hope DVF's latest campaign photographer is not asked for his input.

28-12-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
2) I hope DVF's latest campaign photographer is not asked for his input.

that's great of her to do. I just hope it is done well and thoroughly researched on how to put together. it should work as a legitimate union, that way it will be credible enough for models to actually want to join.

I just hope models aren't scared away from it like some were from her documentary.

29-12-2010
backstage pass

I love how Sara's always trying to help models. <3 Hopefully this would be successful

17-01-2011
V.I.P.

did anyone watch the documentary she made with her boyfriend about her career? i just streamed it from netflix.

it was interesting and watchable. lots of interviews with other models. however there is also a lot of whining about the business as well.

tfs star

^ I watched it and I loved it. I think it was cool of her to show both sides of the business. Of course they get to wear amazing clothes, meet powerful people and get other benefits but it also shows the not so good stuff. One particular thing that bothered me was when the girls were changing backstage for a show and they were almost naked and that photographer kept taking their pictures.

I think it was brave of her to do the documentary and I wish her the best of luck with this project.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alliance, creating, model, models, protect, sara, ziff