How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-03-2010
Ère de ℳodernité

Well, if she's reading this thread: I used to really loved your blog, because you seemed like a "simple" gal and very grounded. While I'm happy about your success, I really regret the time when you posted pictures of "random" people in the streets. Now it's all about your ~fashion friends~. It's cool sometimes, but try to mix things a bit more. Thanks.

11-03-2010
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimby View Post
Garance visits The Fashion Spot! I wonder if she's perused this thread. For her sake, I hope not. Some comments have been very, shall we say, piquant.

Here's the blog entry where she mentions TFS: http://www.garancedore.fr/en/2010/03/11/emmanuelle/
Does this thread come up when you Google either name?

11-03-2010
DÔMMkammern

^^ it's curious because this morning i quoted her blog post on Emmanuelle Alt's thread, and at the end it mentioned how Emmanuelle visited tFS, and how her thread was a better source for old editorials than her own archives.
later today, garance removed that part from her post (which can still be read in Alt's thread)... why do you think she'd do that?
is it not ok to say emmanuelle visits tFS?

anyway, the thread does come up when you google her name, so she has probably seen it.
i don't know how personal the remarks in this thread can be taken really... after all, you can't expect people not to comment on your personal life when you blog about it to hundreds of thousands of internet users.
for the record, and unlike The Frenchy (npi ), I still like Garance's blog a lot. She is fun to read, she takes beautiful pictures (no matter if her friends are famous or not, they look beautiful in the picture so that's what matters to me), she tries to keep the blog evolving (she does the collages, different illustrations, the fw diaries, the videos, photo posts...).
Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about Scott's work. his subjects are always very similar in style, pose, attitude... he cant quite transmit the momentum or the mood of the current seasons in quite the same way garance can, technically his photos look as if they were taken with some auto-everything compact camera... the list is endless really, and it's a shame, because being the top-of-mind brand for streetstyle blogging, the potential behind the site was endless.

Meg
inspired contemplation

I saw her post but not in the original form mentioning Emanuelle visits....maybe she didn't want to draw too much attention to tFS given this thread....

What can I say? I don't agree with a lot of comments in this thread but at the same time, when you are in a public relationships that is put out there with no explanation as to the end of his marriage....there will be some animosity

That said, I don't get why people complain she is 'ditzy'. People who are ditzy have no clue about the world and are happy to be that way. I always think her posts come across as excited and breathless and overwhelmed with excitement and very stream of consciousness which I enjoy. Though I think it hurts both blogs in terms of how referential they are to each other.

Last edited by Meg; 26-03-2010 at 06:43 PM.
11-03-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
That said, I don't get why people complain she is 'ditzy'. People who are ditzy have no clue about the world and are happy to be that way. I always think her posts come across as excited and breathless and overwhelmed with excitement and very stream of consciousness which I enjoy. .
I do think she's a bit ditzy, come on, the way she talks about Scott is extremely weird, she's convinced she found some lost gem,and seems unable to see the ridiculousness of the situation. And goes on and on about him in the most embarrassing way. She really has no clue.
I d not appreciate the way she writes, to me she always sounds like an overactive teenager. But i do think she's very talented, and it's a pity at at the moment she's under his influence. (the work suffered too)

11-03-2010
Meg
inspired contemplation

I don't know - I never get the impression that she thinks he's some lost gem but we all read the tone differently. And what's the point of being in a relationship if you don't think the person you're with is pretty great?

11-03-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
I don't know - I never get the impression that she thinks he's some lost gem but we all read the tone differently. And what's the point of being in a relationship if you don't think the person you're with is pretty great?
God I love my husband, but I think hell would freeze over before I talked about him like she does, it just makes me cringe. It's like she's totally blind to his limitations (no pun intended).

11-03-2010
V.I.P.

say who

11-03-2010
V.I.P.

http://vimeo.com/10048692
he appears around 1:31 and then she follows behind him .. i guess he walks faster than her with those quick little legs of his

11-03-2010
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjanthelion View Post
http://vimeo.com/10048692
he appears around 1:31 and then she follows behind him .. i guess he walks faster than her with those quick little legs of his
OMG you guys are cracking me up

I'm not sure it's ditzy the way she talks about him ... I take it more as a hormone high. Which is sustained for longer than usual in a long-distance relationship ...

I'm like Les Sucettes in that, hormone high or not, I'm aware of the limitations of my partner. But I kind of think it's charming not to be ... I'm sure he finds it charming Ah, the power of love ...

12-03-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
That said, I don't get why people complain she is 'ditzy'.
I find her ditzy in a Carrie Bradshaw way. The faux-intimacy of her writing is quite irking too: her blog reads like a pajama party, and I'm not a girly girl so I hate that stuff.
However the pictures and illustrations are as good as they were in the beginning. She has more access to the fashion clique now, but that hasn't altered the overall quality of her work, imo.

Also, considering some of the stuff that have been written about the man she loves here (including some suggestion that he is a racist), you can't expect her to give any publicity to this website.

As an aside: she used to be great friends with Géraldine, the blogger of Cafe Mode (whose writing style I very much enjoy, unlike Garance's). These past few months, however, they have not mentioned each others once. I wonder if they're still friends...

14-03-2010
DÔMMkammern

^^ Café Mode is written differently because the aim of the blog is also very different. Géraldine has to be more professional (l'express is a serious informative site) and less personal (it's cafemode not geraldinedormoy.com )

V.I.P.

precious
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachel_photo/4362550085/

14-05-2010
The future is stupid

14-05-2010
fashion elite

I hate to hash out old theories but I have only just read some of the last posts and I have to agree with much that has been said, but particularly about Garance's "ditsy-ness"! What I find off putting is the deliberate vernacular-her writing is the literary equivalent of someone speaking in a baby voice, a bit difficult to swallow considering she is an adult.
I am not sure if you guys are familiar with July Stars? It is a blog that started out around the same time as Garance Dore with a similar concept-however it is not celebrity driven at all. http://julystars.blogspot.com Far more successful in delivery.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dore, garance, sartorialist, schuman, scott