How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-03-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Stylin View Post

BTW here is the definition of blackface
wiki

Semantics. Try harder.

02-03-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
Is the fashion industry so thin skinned? Everything is a controversy, everything offends someone.

I believe the apology is sincere. Instead of clamoring and pointing fingers, why not implore Numero to feature a black model (a real one ) in their editorial as a sincere gesture above the already mentioned apology?
As a black person I'm not sorry for being offended and as someone who can see through bullish!t its easy to see that neither party truly apologized or feel bad about what they did. With comments like yours its easy to see why they feel so confident in their ignorance.

God Save McQueen

What a BS excuse, Verushcka and those women were tan, Ondria is painted dark, its completely different. It amazes me how often this happens in fashion still. Its like every couple months there is something new that has blackface or orientalism or racist connotations or use of poc as background props.

03-03-2013
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphe View Post
Semantics. Try harder.
I dont need to try harder at anything, ur offended which is understandable am not.

Last edited by Urban Stylin; 03-03-2013 at 02:59 PM.
03-03-2013
doldrums

Besides the controversy it's a badly styled generic photoshoot.

Last edited by silk skin paws; 03-03-2013 at 03:11 PM.
03-03-2013
clever ain't wise

An example of Marisa Berenson from the 60s. Every bit as "offensive", I would say.

The problem is indeed the title....no white woman is the Queen of Africa, not even in a fashion story...

66lanvin.tumblr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_lli6y5EGyu1qf8gqxo1_500.jpg (193.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 03-03-2013 at 04:02 PM.
03-03-2013
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

there is o queen of Africa in reality, Africa has different countries each of which has 30 or more tribes each with its own monarchy

03-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
there is o queen of Africa in reality, Africa has different countries each of which has 30 or more tribes each with its own monarchy
I understand that, but isn't it "naïve", at the very best to think that African Queens are 16-year-olds with painted-on tans?

I guess I kind of understand the point of blackface - 'no model of color has the aesthetic I want for this editorial' or 'this is the only girl that can make this concept come to life' - but isn't it much easier to just hire a black girl, if that's the way it is?

I guess the whole thing boils down to Numèro's sheer ignorance of black culture. They don't seem to know anything about racial equality and they coudl'nt care less - so much that they put a black model on a cover right after the controversy came out, as a 'make-up' of sorts. Do they really think we're that stupid to think that this will make up for their racial offense? This sin't the first time they've done this, and it's not the last, either. Is it so hard to be educated about an issue as important as this?

03-03-2013
clever ain't wise

Quote:
That's not news to anyone in this thread, I'd wager. Do you really think the Numero ppl used the term literally?!?

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 03-03-2013 at 07:37 PM.
03-03-2013
V.I.P.

i'm not understanding where people find this apology insincere or BS, from having worked on editorial shoots, the title is never picked during or before the shoot and its obvious that she is dark due to the lighting and saturation. I'm black and if I looked at the editorial before I saw the title I might have not been as offended, and I might have referenced the bad tans used by Roberto Cavalli.

03-03-2013
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Which makes it worse, tbqh. The West has a history of erasing the diverse cultures and countries within the continent of Africa. They would never call an editorial "European Queen" because they recognize that these are continents and not cultures. Africa gets homogenized.

04-03-2013
fashion insider

Well i thought the model was a black woman. It does not look at all like some sort of tan. I find it baffling in this day and age that people still feel the need to use white persons in this context. The inspiration could have been the same and they still could have used a black model.

04-03-2013
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
Which makes it worse, tbqh. The West has a history of erasing the diverse cultures and countries within the continent of Africa. They would never call an editorial "European Queen" because they recognize that these are continents and not cultures. Africa gets homogenized.
I think you are *seriously* underestimating people. Who today does not know that Africa consists of many different countries and that these countries are very heterogeneous?

04-03-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Who today does not know that Africa consists of many different countries and that these countries are very heterogeneous?
You'd be surprised. A ton of people think this way.

04-03-2013
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
I think you are *seriously* underestimating people. Who today does not know that Africa consists of many different countries and that these countries are very heterogeneous?
How about politicians?
http://www.thesite.org/community/rea...aisnotacountry
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1109093.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1018814.html

Additionally, whenever you hear people talk about things that occur in specific African countries (poverty, AIDS, etc), it is always "in Africa". "Poverty in Africa", "AIDS in Africa". This is something that the media has been doing for a long time.

There are several websites dedicated to this.

http://www.africaisacontinent.com/

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
african queen, editorial, kim, numero, racist, responds, sebastian