How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I'm not sure what to believe about this, it doesn't seem real. I suppose if Shirley Temple can be an ambassador then Anna Wintour could be one! Though I do think it's sort of a snub to a lot of people who've spent their whole career in public service and hoped to become an ambassador. It's quite a serious position so in some ways it doesn't seem right to give it to someone who hasn't actively worked for it. Maybe in England it would be "easier" to do but to be an ambassador in many parts of the world is a tough job, and I have so much respect for them. I'm curious to find out if the rumors are true or not, the public reaction would be interesting to see!
My view exactly. Diplomacy is kinda important these days... and I think someone who is "professional" should take the job. Not a fashion editor.

05-12-2012
V.I.P.

Well the rumour is definitely building speed; I've read about it everywhere! Her appointment could be to France not London...

Reasons she'd be great at it according to current.com

Quote:
She was one helluva fundraiser. Not only did she enlist designers like Marc Jacobs to design everything from dog collars to sweatshirts for Runway to Win, but she also hosted multiple $40,000-plus dinners for the president, ultimately raising more than $500,000.
She can negotiate. If she can navigate the egos of the fashion world and bring them all together for events like Fashion's Night Out, I think she can handle whatever an ambassadorship to France or Great Britain has to throw at her.
The ambassador takes on a lot of paperwork and administrative duties. Have you seen the September issue of Vogue? Or maybe "The September Issue," the movie about the making of the September issue of Vogue. That magazine does not put itself out.
The ambassador exports American values to the rest of the world. Those values include being ambitious, growing a business and building a brand, right? A-dubs has certainly proved she can do all of that.
The ambassador is a social engineer. They organize visits, welcome visitors, host cocktail parties. Because, the Met Ball. That says it all.
She is good at kissing up to foreign dignitaries. Remember her glowing profile of Asma Assad?
She's fierce. We've all seen "The Devil Wears Prada."

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 05-12-2012 at 01:27 PM.
05-12-2012
fashion insider

i really hope this rumor is true.. i think it's the perfect excuse for having Grace Coddington as the new EIC

06-12-2012
front row

Quote:
As the speculation and buzz surrounding Anna Wintour's possible appointment as U.S. ambassador bubbles, percolates, fizzles, then bubbles up again, the White House press corps is getting odder and odder about the issue.

Take for instance the series of loaded (overloaded, actually) questions dumped on White House Press Secretary Jay Carney by ABC's Jake Tapper above. Operating off the rather reductive notion that Ms. Wintour is a tactless, tyrannical editor with the social skills of a jackhammer, Tapper sardonically, disingenuously asks, “Is it important for a diplomat to be diplomatic...in their personal lives or pop culture?” and, "Has the president seen The Devil Wears Prada?” Isn't it remarkable how Tapper — despite being a magna cum laude graduate of Dartmouth and political reporter with 20 years of hard-earned experience — is able to impersonate a freshman media-studies major? Stunning work.

In any case, anyone with a passing knowledge of Wintour understands that Miranda Priestly was but a humorous, hyperbolic pantomime of the Vogue editor's more colorful personality traits and that, as the head of an international brand, she most likely has a deep and nuanced understanding of British-American diplomatic relations, the graces of international society, and profound social and negotiating skills.

Moreover, let's remember that some of our more noted diplomats had no actual experience in diplomacy or politics before their appointments. World-War II Secretary of State Edward Stettinius was a lifelong businessman, current Ambassador to France Charles Rivkin is the executive producer of Yo Gabba Gabba, and, for pete's sake, legendary Ambassador to Britain Joseph P. Kennedy was a banker of questionable ethics and a bootlegger.

We're starting to wonder if such silly questions would be lobbed at The White House if Wintour — a highly successful businesswoman in a multibillion-dollar industry and a powerful media figure — wasn't in the female-dominated world of fashion. Just sayin'. (Fashionista)
Refinery29.com

Last edited by RobinLondon; 06-12-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Removed URL
06-12-2012
fashion insider

That would be a quite strange career move...but Anna definitly knows how to represent and pull off the poker face.

Why not!?

06-12-2012
backstage pass

I can't really imagine how person, who works in fashion industry - art, photography and so one, would exchange fashion i such a boring post. My other side, what to Anna to became Ambassador, because Vogue would have new EIC. As Lee MG Tisci, i would love to see Grace as Vogue EIC !!!

07-12-2012
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I'm not sure what to believe about this, it doesn't seem real. I suppose if Shirley Temple can be an ambassador then Anna Wintour could be one! Though I do think it's sort of a snub to a lot of people who've spent their whole career in public service and hoped to become an ambassador. It's quite a serious position so in some ways it doesn't seem right to give it to someone who hasn't actively worked for it. Maybe in England it would be "easier" to do but to be an ambassador in many parts of the world is a tough job, and I have so much respect for them. I'm curious to find out if the rumors are true or not, the public reaction would be interesting to see!
Don't people who spend their lives in public service who work up to these position actually work in countries where diplomacy is needed though? I mean, the people who get positions to "nice" countries are pretty much because of patronage system. I'm NOT saying that relations between the US/UK/France aren't important and necessary, but it would be a different story if they were going to select her to be the Ambassador to Kuwait. I'm not even sure if the ambassador to a place like the UK matters because of their "Special Relationship" and the Deputy Chief of Mission runs the embassy there anyway. The current ambassador to France and Monaco was the former CEO of the Jim Henson Company, If he can do it, I'm sure Anna can.

Also, I kind of want her to get a reason to leave Vogue. Even though it's been getting a bit better lately, I think it's time for a new perspective.

Last edited by blueorchid; 07-12-2012 at 01:18 AM.
07-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
Don't people who spend their lives in public service who work up to these position actually work in countries where diplomacy is needed though? I mean, the people who get positions to "nice" countries are pretty much because of patronage system. I'm NOT saying that relations between the US/UK/France aren't important and necessary, but it would be a different story if they were going to select her to be the Ambassador to Kuwait. I'm not even sure if the ambassador to a place like the UK matters because of their "Special Relationship" and the Deputy Chief of Mission runs the embassy there anyway. The current ambassador to France and Monaco was the former CEO of the Jim Henson Company, If he can do it, I'm sure Anna can.

Also, I kind of want her to get a reason to leave Vogue. Even though it's been getting a bit better lately, I think it's time for a new perspective.
Not everyone wants to be posted in places like Kuwait--so professionals might actually want relatively safe places like France or the UK.

07-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee MG Tisci View Post
i really hope this rumor is true.. i think it's the perfect excuse for having Grace Coddington as the new EIC
Oh Man.............. from your mouth to God's ears :p

you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyLeReveur View Post
Not everyone wants to be posted in places like Kuwait--so professionals might actually want relatively safe places like France or the UK.
They do work in relatively safe places, just not as the ambassador. Choosing the ambassador to "safe" countries is not about being a professional, the only requirement is being a top fundraiser for the president. It's patronage.

08-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
They do work in relatively safe places, just not as the ambassador. Choosing the ambassador to "safe" countries is not about being a professional, the only requirement is being a top fundraiser for the president. It's patronage.
You might be right, but I still think the ambassadorships in places like France/UK (where you said earlier that diplomacy is not needed) are important to have professionals. The US relations with these countries are friendly so they might need to handle their relations with professional care. Diplomacy is needed everywhere, not just a particular group of countries.

Anyway, as much as I will probably hate it if they really choose Anna, the only good thing will happen is that we will have Grace as the new EIC!

09-12-2012
fashion elite

I can understand why she would want to undertake this role, if it is true, and it's looking likelier by the day.
Posted via Mobile Device

09-12-2012
V.I.P.

Even the suggestion is absurd and disgusting. People serve for decades in the foreign service to get promoted to the position of Ambassador - they are well experienced and well trained, and deserve the position due to their qualifications and skills as diplomats.

Apparently the US is notorious for appointing random Presidential supporters and donors as Ambassadors all over the world. In general other countries do not do this (although unfortunately the ultimate 'top-jobs', like being sent as Ambassador to Washington) because they appreciate that your Ambassador should be a skilled career diplomat and not just some random person who happens to be well connected. That's nepotistic and revolting.

Besides, what did Anna Wintour do to even be considered? Did she donate millions for his campaign, or is she going to put Michelle Obama on a Vogue cover

fashion icon

^Michelle was already on the cover of Vogue, four years ago, after the president won his first term. As a fan of Michelle I just loved that she was on the cover of Vogue but I don't think she will be on the cover again, it might not be in good form to do so. And Anna was also one of the top fundraisers for the Obama campaign which is in part why people think she's being considered for the job. She did an amazing job of getting people to back President Obama. Anna's published quite a few political articles focusing on those working in Washington over the years, from Sarah Palin to my gal Kristen Gillibrand, so she's definitely politically aware. Some of my favorite articles in Vogue over the years have been the spotlights on women working in politics or on social issues. In someways I think fashion and politics are very similar, they are both high stress jobs with a lot of back-room dealings (like with all the designers leaving/switching fashion houses), so who knows, maybe Anna would be a good ambassador?

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 09-12-2012 at 11:45 AM.
09-12-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I'm no huge fan of Anna, but this is the woman who got Marc Jacobs into rehab She's been effective her whole life, I don't imagine that's going to change now. And it's not like they would send her out there alone--she would be surrounded by career people and probably hundreds of years of collective experience.

It's unfortunate that anytime you have a high-profile, successful woman, there's this huge buzz and much of it negative. It smacks of misogyny to me

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ambassador, anna, speculation, wintour