How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-12-2012
fashion icon

^I completely agree. In someways I'm skeptical of this possible appointment yet I also welcome it for the fact that she's a women in a position of power and I want to see her continue to succeed in whatever area she's interested. It's inspirational to see other women succeed. But you are so right, quite often these sort of situations reek of misogyny. Just because Anna is a women who's hugely successful shouldn't mean that she's a b*tch. Would a man who was EIC of a high profile magazine get called such degrading names if he was being considered for an ambassador position? NO. He wouldn't, he' be called "intelligent" and "powerful." It's disgusting how much hate Anna gets. While I don't always agree with everything she's said or done I still respect her.

The 2012 election was a pretty historic one, in terms of how many women were elected to office, and so why couldn't it also be historic for having an EIC of a major fashion magazine going into politics? It might show people that fashion can/should be taken seriously and that you can be smart/political & socially aware and care about such things. Fashion is an subject area that has such a stigmatism attached to it (I hate this so much. It's like a pet peeve of mine, when people comment that fashion "dumb" or whatever). But like you said, fashionista-ta, Anna is a person who has been very effective her whole life, and so in that regards I do think that this might not be a bad gig for her.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 09-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.

09-12-2012
V.I.P.

Great post in #29 YoninahAliza - very fair-minded methinks.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
09-12-2012
I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
The 2012 election was a pretty historic one, in terms of how many women were elected to office, and so why couldn't it also be historic for having an EIC of a major fashion magazine going into politics? It might show people that fashion can/should be taken seriously and that you can be smart/political & socially aware and care about such things.

Her background might be in fashion but running and elevating a magazine to Vogue's standard today is anything but. It's all politics and business, something Anna Wintour has excelled at. People can say what they want about the 'non serious' field she's in, or her persona, but they can't deny that behind that hard cut bob of hers lies a very strategic, goal oriented and business minded woman that could tackle any obstacle thrown her way.

This woman knows politics, she's excelled at it for decades, it's just the field she would be new to.

09-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Anna's published quite a few political articles focusing on those working in Washington over the years, from Sarah Palin to my gal Kristen Gillibrand, so she's definitely politically aware. Some of my favorite articles in Vogue over the years have been the spotlights on women working in politics or on social issues. In someways I think fashion and politics are very similar, they are both high stress jobs with a lot of back-room dealings (like with all the designers leaving/switching fashion houses), so who knows, maybe Anna would be a good ambassador?
Wasn't she also the one who gave the go for the highly-glorified article of Asma al Assad?

Just sayin'.

But satisfaction brought it back
09-12-2012
Rebaptising my badness

^ And she's probably also the one who got Joan Juliet Buck's a** fired as a means to exempt Vogue from any responsibility. I hope this particular episode is taken into account.

V.I.P.

^Agreed. Wintour and the management team's handling of the Asma al-Assad was absolutely disgraceful. They threw the Joan Juliet Buck under the bus, and attempted to wash their hands clean of the matter.

In addition, Vogue's "political pieces" are mostly fluff articles that always paints the subject in a positive light.

While Anna Wintour may be good at backroom politics and maneuverings, I am doubtful of her skill and knowledge in the arena of international relations and policy. As Joan Juliet Buck wrote in her article on the Vogue treatment of her Al-Assad piece:

Quote:
I handed in the piece on Jan. 14, the day President Ben Ali fled Tunisia. “The Arab Spring is spreading,” I told Vogue on Jan. 21. “You might want to hold the piece.”

They didn’t think the Arab Spring was going anywhere, and the piece was needed for the March “Power Issue.”

But satisfaction brought it back
09-12-2012
Rebaptising my badness

^Couldn't agree more with you. She might be highly skilled in the inner workings of the politics of fashion but that absolutely does not make her qualified for a position that requires a deep understanding of world politics, History and human relations (something that US Vogue, being a fashion magazine, is obviously lacking).

windowshopping

I believe she would make an excellent ambassador. She has been in charge of Vogue for so many years & she managed to always do a great job. Anna definitely has the diplomacy and the social skills (after all, she coordinated the whole fashion industry for years and years), the right amount of rigor and discipline. Give this woman some credibility, ladies. She has embodied the powerful woman for some time now. And she is smart, too. Plus, I'd love to see Grace as EIC of Vogue US. She deserves it.

11-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany View Post
Even the suggestion is absurd and disgusting. People serve for decades in the foreign service to get promoted to the position of Ambassador - they are well experienced and well trained, and deserve the position due to their qualifications and skills as diplomats.

Apparently the US is notorious for appointing random Presidential supporters and donors as Ambassadors all over the world. In general other countries do not do this (although unfortunately the ultimate 'top-jobs', like being sent as Ambassador to Washington) because they appreciate that your Ambassador should be a skilled career diplomat and not just some random person who happens to be well connected. That's nepotistic and revolting.

Besides, what did Anna Wintour do to even be considered? Did she donate millions for his campaign, or is she going to put Michelle Obama on a Vogue cover

You're so right. Besides her connections, I don't think she will make a good diplomat.

17-12-2012
clever ain't wise

I think this is quite likely true.

She would be quite excellent, I should think.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 17-12-2012 at 04:30 PM.
18-12-2012
Making a Mess

This is very interesting news. I actually believe it and I think she would excel at the position.

And what a great way to retire! I've always wondered how she would go about stepping down from Vogue US.

Mr. Zhivago

Who is most likely to replace her, if this all happens?

18-12-2012
V.I.P.

^ Grace Coddington, I hope!

18-12-2012
fashion insider

^ It is interesting that Grace Coddington is universally more liked than Anna Wintour

18-12-2012
V.I.P.

There's actually a petition at the White House website to "drop Anna Wintour from the list of possible ambassadors to the United Kingdom or France". It has over 4000 signatures but needs over 20,000 more.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ambassador, anna, speculation, wintour