How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-12-2012
front row

Speculation that Anna Wintour may become an Ambassador
Quote:
Rumors that Vode editor-in-chief Anna Wintour may be headed back to her native England to serve as an ambassador for the United States are becoming more and more credible.
Two unidentified people are cited as confirming reports that President Obama is considering appointing Wintour as the next ambassador to England.
Wintour, 63, has been a strong supporter of the President and was one of his top bundlers in the last campaign where she raised millions for his re-election bid.

Ambassadorships to friendly countries are commonly given to top-tier fundraisers as a thank you gift after a tough campaign, and the post in London is one of the nicest among them.
Adding to speculation that Wintour will leave her position as editor of the fashion magazine to take a political turn is the fact that the current ambassador to England, Louis Susman, is not expected to take on a second term.

An article by Bloomberg cites two people, described only as being 'familiar with the matter', as saying that Susman is one of three ambassadors with plum positions who will not be continuing their stay abroad.
Dan Rooney, the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers who is currently the ambassador to Ireland, and Charles Rivkin, the former executive of Jim Henson Co. who is the ambassador to France, will also be returning to the U.S.

Wintour's credentials as a major fundraiser may well be enough to earn her the spot in the American Embassay that abuts London's Regents Park, as Rooney, Rivkin and Susman were all major fundraisers and not career politicians before being appointed by President Obama.
The fact that she is a dual citizen of the U.S. and the U.K. also helps Wintour's cause, but Bloomberg asserts that she may have competition for the gig.
Matthew Barzun, who served as finance chairman for the re-election campaign, is said to be interested in the job.
Another venue Wintour may consider, especially given the time she spends in Paris for fashion shows, is the ambassadorship to France.

In the late 1970s, Wintour dated a French record producer and split her time between Paris and New York, so it would not be her first move to the city if she was appointed to the ambassadorship.
That said, even her innate sense of style may not be enough to secure that spot for her, as Bloomberg reports that Marc Lasry, a fellow bundler and founder of Avenue Capital Management, wants the French ambassadorship.
No matter, as a spokeswoman for Wintour has denied that she has any plans to end her journalistic career quite yet.
'She's very happy with her current job,' Megan Salt told the site.
Wintour has hosted a number of fundraisers for the President in the past few months, all of which have shown the strength of her Rolodex.
In May, she co-hosted a $40,000-per-plate dinner for 50 people in actress Sarah Jessica Parker's Manhattan townhouse. Prior to the dinner, she even appeared in a YouTube video promoting the dinner which offered up two raffled tickets to the event.

In August, she moved her sights out of the city and partnered up with Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein and his fashion designer wife Georgina Chapman to host a $38,500-per-plate dinner in their Connecticut home.
She used more than just her contacts to make the money flow in for the President during the long campaign.
Wintour used her fashion and business savvy to draw up a spreadsheet and prove to the President's aides that the creation of a high-end accessories line would bring in a sizable amount of cash for the campaign.
From there, she enlisted a host of designer friends to create the goods.
Derek Lam designed a $75 tote bag, Thakoon Panichgul made a $95 scarf with Obama's face pictured, and Richard Blanch was behind the makeup bag that contained red, white and blue nail polish.
Considering her prominent position on the donor list and the cycle of turning donors into ambassadors, it comes as little surprise that Wintour's name has been floated as a possibility.
Souce - Daily Mail

04-12-2012
V.I.P.

Okay I understand Anna W has many connections and I am sure she has good interpersonal skills too. But seriously, a diplomat? I doubt that. Please, Anna, just stick to your fashion world.

04-12-2012
V.I.P.

If this means no Anna at Vogue, I say make her a VP even.

V.I.P.

well, who will take over Vogue US? can it get more commercialized than it already is?

04-12-2012
V.I.P.

Highly doubt it.

04-12-2012
»re de ℳodernitť

I don't believe that at ALL. But then again, I didn't believe Wang could ever go to Balenciaga soooo...

I don't know

Will she survive all the unruly hair and bad teeth is the real question?

04-12-2012
V.I.P.

I don't believe that either, maybe if she quits Vogue, but still, the relationship between the US and the UK is not exactly US-Luxemburg, the amount of, hum, warfare, doesn't call for a honorary ambassador. I'd probably believe the rumors if they were about being appointed consul-general in New York.. but even that it's a bit complicated with a career of hits in the fashion business. Not to mention how unfair/ridiculing it would be for people devoting a life studying foreign policies to reach that position..

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by saann View Post
Is that why she really wanted to leave her native England in the first place?!

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by saann View Post
Embassies are supposed to be the most glamorous places especially when they host those parties..at least according to spy movies. Plus have you seen the Parisian politicians?
They put Vogue staffers to shame
pics RT.COM

04-12-2012
front row

The American ambassador's house in London has the largest private garden after Buckingham Palace. If given the choice to live somewhere so grand, I'm sure Anna would consider it. When she eventually leaves Vogue, no doubt she will receive a record breaking pay off. If this rumour is true, she'll end up living somewhere "rent free" whilst presumably still earning.

fashion icon

I'm not sure what to believe about this, it doesn't seem real. I suppose if Shirley Temple can be an ambassador then Anna Wintour could be one! Though I do think it's sort of a snub to a lot of people who've spent their whole career in public service and hoped to become an ambassador. It's quite a serious position so in some ways it doesn't seem right to give it to someone who hasn't actively worked for it. Maybe in England it would be "easier" to do but to be an ambassador in many parts of the world is a tough job, and I have so much respect for them. I'm curious to find out if the rumors are true or not, the public reaction would be interesting to see!

Power to the 99%

Hmm, interesting rumor. It's true that ambassadorships are frequently used as a reward. Hard to imagine what could dynamite her out of Vogue, but maybe this ... Even more interesting to me is the question of what she would do afterwards.

How old is she? Looks like she's 63, so in 4 years she'd be 67.

05-12-2012
front row

Ambassadorship would be a lovely bridge in between work and retirement.

V.I.P.

she is a perfect candidate...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ambassador, anna, speculation, wintour