How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-09-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
I'm very verbal.
Indeed.

Perhaps in Stella's special case, comprehensive schooling wasn't such a good idea.

13-09-2005
trendsetter

Mutterlein, you make a very excellent point, however I still have to disagree. There are beautiful non-leather shoes and boots out there that are comfortable and fashionable. Stella's own collections feature cruelty-free footwear. There was no justifiable reason for her to purchase those boots. She could have had some vegan cowboy boots made for her if she could not find suitable ones in the shops. Her purchase may not have directly supported the industry, but it indirectly supports it by telling the fashion conscious-"hey look, even an avowed animal rights person thinks leather boots are better" That's pretty bad imho.
If my memory serves me correctly, she also has a leather jacket with the KISS logo on the back. She wore it to some event once.

Wow, I didn't know about the wool industry documentary... Jeez...

14-09-2005
urd
tfs star

I'm a vegeterian and I wear leather, but unlike stella I never made a big fuss about animal rights and never designing anything with leather..

14-09-2005
fashion insider

Stella is talentless inside and out - Phoebe proved who was the real talent behind Chloe.

Supposed fashion designer - in reality just the spoilt brat daughter of a famous Beatle. Her only acheivements in life are:

designing Madonna's dress
having a few a-list friends who she poses with for credibility points

I've seen better designs in Mark-One

Vintage/current whatever...the girl is a hypocrite. Using her principle, all vegetarians lets unite and start eating meat because it's already dead, and I’ll still knowingly wear that top made by a slave child, cos they’ve already made it so no harm done. Let's just all back down on our principles for the sake of it...

She can justify it till she’s blue in the face, it only serves to make her look even more like the airhead pointless non-entity she actually is.

She’s a talentless car wreck.

Last edited by roppal222; 14-09-2005 at 06:15 AM.
14-09-2005
fashion insider

apologies for the rant guys but having had the misfortune of meeting with her , knowing what she's like and also seeing the way she publicly presents herself as some big political table thumper bleeding heart animal lover,yet knowing she contradicts herself behind closed doors, my dislike for her knows no limits....

14-09-2005
crossed wires.

stella, stick to your guns lady.

front row

Thanks so much for the article, i love Stella

14-09-2005
fie
scenester

roppal222 Ditto to everything you said, and karma given

14-09-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by urd
I'm a vegeterian and I wear leather, but unlike stella I never made a big fuss about animal rights and never designing anything with leather..
Same

I don't eat meat but do wear leather but I on the other hand, only speak about my vegetarianism in my defense. I don't have a problem with what Stella did but she doesn't have to make a big deal out of it and than contradict herself.

14-09-2005
V.I.P.

VINTAGE SCHMINTAGE

its all still leather in my books

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
15-09-2005
fashion insider

In reply to 'are your boots leather?' , had she been wearing an alternative, she could have said 'No' and then explained where she got that them, that they are comfy and hard wearing.. thus demonstrating that she practices what she preaches and also using the opportunity to show that there are alternatives..

or had she said 'Yes these boots are leather, I think it is wrong that they were made, I received them second-hand and in a world of limited resources I think it would be wrong to discard them .. all my future purchases will be animal free' ... then in the eyes of some she may have got away with it although it still would have been a major cop-out

Basically she should have been better prepared and she has done no favours to the animal rights movement, she claims she cares so damn much about, for having this inconsistency pointed out.

But then asking Paul's daughter to engage brain with mouth is too much of a demand of course...

Last edited by roppal222; 15-09-2005 at 05:27 AM.
15-09-2005
backstage pass

With the whole leather thing, if you publicly crow about how leather is wrong; you don't wear it. With declarations like that in the public eye, its all or nothing. The media will think of nothing but pouncing to tear her to shreds, I suspect it made this journalists day when she admitted they weren't vegitarian.

backstage pass

I have no problem with someone being vegan in their eating habits but wearing leather or fur (though I think fur is tacky) if that's their personal belief system. I eat meat and dairy products now, but was raised macrobiotic and am always aware that I am eating an animal that gave its life for me, and probably not in a pleasant way, though when I can afford it, I buy organic, free-range, etc.

However, maybe I'm dense, but I'm still not getting something. If Stella is as strict and passionate a vegan as I've heard, the type that believes all animal life is sacred and who would no more eat a hamburger than eat a peopleburger, HOW is wearing "vintage" leather okay? To hear PETA go on about chicken holocausts, isn't it like devoting your life to the vehement protest of the nazis, and then buying that human-skin lampshade in a second hand shop because, hey, it's already made, and the nazis aren't directly profiting, and the person's already dead, and it's just so chic, would be a shame to have it sitting there collecting dust. Sorry for the grotesque image, but it's what's been popping into my head since I read this yesterday.

If she wants to change her mind about wearing leather, that's fine. It's her perogative. But drawing a moral distinction between "vintage" and "new" when you feel that strongly about animal rights seems very bizarre logic. But then I'm someone that doesn't get the "I personally would never have an abortion because I think it's murder anytime it's done for whatever reason, but hey! You go right on ahead!" line of thinking either If you feel it's murder, why is it okay for anyone? If animals should not be killed and used for food or clothing why is it okay just because someone else owned the tragically bred-for-murder remains first? I could see her buying the boots to take them off the market altogether, maybe designing a veggie copy if they're that cool. But wearing them so that they don't "waste" when she believes leather and fur are murder is awful.

backstage pass

That's quite a creppy logic about the human lampshade, but still, your point is spot on!

fashion insider

The point is Anastasia , at the end of the day Paul's daughter's actions can't be justified...I'm sure her big-eyed faithful followers will gloss over it, but it's a major flaw in that talent-free skivvy's personality..one of far too many as far as I'm concerned.

People like her and her step-mum make me laugh - they love to front and come across as radical activists to give their life some substance and meaning....give the impression to the rest of us they have depth and a conscience but really the pair of them are only famous through association and their activist work serves to conceal that. It means nothing to me because it demeans those who genuinely and consistently work hard behind the scenes to deal with the issue of animal cruelty. Hypocritical publicity parasites like these two do with it minimum passion and for maximum publicity. tragic.

Great post Anastasia

Last edited by roppal222; 15-09-2005 at 08:00 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
leather, mccartney, stella, wears