How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
25-01-2005
  1
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,480
Stella McCartney Now Wears Leather?
I was told that Stella recently gave an interview in the Sunday Telegraph during which the interviewer noticed she was wearing leather boots. She responded by saying that they were vintage leather so it was OK. Has anyone read this article?

  Reply With Quote
 
25-01-2005
  2
V.I.P.
 
Tinuviel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: button moon
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,737
chuh.

  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  3
tfs star
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 10021
Posts: 1,585
obladi oblada
linda mccartney was a principled woman, and a role model for all things good and proper.

no one ever said her daughter stella was smart.

  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  4
fashion insider
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London town
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,382
It was on the frontpage of the Sunday Telegraph

__________________
www.grinandbear.net
  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  5
Muse
 
jadedomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metropolis
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,529
Vintage leather is still leather.....

__________________
McQueen is the King
  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  6
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York, NY
Gender: homme
Posts: 647
As a vegan myself I've heard this argument. Most vegans would go nuts over this, but I know where she's coming from. In general I've made an exception for footwear, the choices we have out there are really terrible, construction, material, price and availability.

The "used" reasoning is basically saying that since it's not new its not harming animals. This is a weak reasoning though from a vegan standpoint since it still killed an animal, no matter how long ago it was.

Vegan lifestyle is, in my opinion, really philisophical and I think people should live their life on their own terms. I get a lot of heat for my choices, but I personally believe I'm doing more for vegans (same for Stella McCartney) than those who choose to use their energy screaming and protesting and splashing paint over fur coats making those that wear them just buy more. My reason to persue fashion design is to make better vegan clothing choices for vegans out there, including footwear.


Last edited by mouko; 25-01-2005 at 09:01 AM.
  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  7
no photos, no photos
 
purechris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,887
As hypocritical as it sounds. I do agree with her. I am not the biggest fan of furs, but reconstructed vintage furs are okay in my book.

  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  8
trendsetter
 
Oria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: the world
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouko
As a vegan myself I've heard this argument. Most vegans would go nuts over this, but I know where she's coming from. In general I've made an exception for footwear, the choices we have out there are really terrible, construction, material, price and availability.

The "used" reasoning is basically saying that since it's not new its not harming animals. This is a weak reasoning though from a vegan standpoint since it still killed an animal, no matter how long ago it was.

Vegan lifestyle is, in my opinion, really philisophical and I think people should live their life on their own terms. I get a lot of heat for my choices, but I personally believe I'm doing more for vegans (same for Stella McCartney) than those who choose to use their energy screaming and protesting and splashing paint over fur coats making those that wear them just buy more. My reason to persue fashion design is to make better vegan clothing choices for vegans out there, including footwear.
I like your words, they ring very true to me.

I'm a raw food eater with some vegan meals when I travel.

But let me tell you I am a shoe-designer and I do work with leather. It is a personal choice, one that I think battle daily, but I am not vocal about what people do or don't do, I have read Ms. McCartney's words and she seems against leather etc. I mean it is her choice, but I can see how people will snicker at her boots and go "hmm".

The only thing I won't touch is fur, yes hypocritical.

__________________
Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death. Anais Nin
  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  9
fashion insider
 
Heroin_Chic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Germany
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylegurrl
I was told that Stella recently gave an interview in the Sunday Telegraph during which the interviewer noticed she was wearing leather boots. She responded by saying that they were vintage leather so it was OK.


I love it when these political-correct-hypocrites are exposed!

So, "Vintage leather is ok" because "it`s already dead anyway"? Or what? With that way of thinking nobody would be a Vegetarian anymore...


Last edited by Heroin_Chic; 25-01-2005 at 11:24 AM.
  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  10
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York, NY
Gender: homme
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin_Chic


I love it when these political-correct-hypocrites are exposed!

So, "Vintage leather is ok" because "it`s already dead anyway"? Or what? With that way of thinking nobody would be a Vegetarian anymore...
Basically they're saying because its old, it's not killing any new animals for the sake of fashion, it's more enviromental than vegan. I don't think there's any generally wrong with that way of thinking but I do disagree with Stella's support of Peta, who's all sorts of crazy, hyprocritical shove our beliefs down your throat people.

Just from personal experience, most vegans seem to be sheep and don't bother researching or thinking for themselves. It's becoming a type of religion. They're quick to jump on vegans that "slip" or live on their own beliefs when they're basically doing nothing for the general philosophy. Again, I think Stella is doing a great service to those that choose tihs lifestyle (and even those that don't). No one can be 100% vegan.


Last edited by mouko; 25-01-2005 at 12:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  11
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouko
Basically they're saying because its old, it's not killing any new animals for the sake of fashion, it's more enviromental than vegan. I don't think there's any generally wrong with that way of thinking but I do disagree with Stella's support of Peta, who's all sorts of crazy, hyprocritical shove our beliefs down your throat people.

Just from personal experience, most vegans seem to be sheep and don't bother researching or thinking for themselves. It's becoming a type of religion. They're quick to jump on vegans that "slip" or live on their own beliefs when they're basically doing nothing for the general philosophy. Again, I think Stella is doing a great service to those that choose tihs lifestyle (and even those that don't). No one can be 100% vegan.
There are people who are 100% vegan and who are very devoted in their beliefs. Stella's brother James is an extreme vegan and won't even eat honey because it is an animal product.

Stella has spent her entire career denouncing leather and fur and denouncing anyone who works with or wears them. I distinctly remember an interview she did in which she chastized Phoebe Philo for designing leather bags and shoes for Chloe. She basically said that some people have no principles and are only in it for the money. She also had it written into her contract that she would use no leather or fur. All of a sudden she thinks "vintage leather" is OK? I find that odd. I am neither veggie nor vegan but I have a problem with someone who gets on a soap box preaching to others then does a 360 in order to be fashionable.

  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  12
front row
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouko
Basically they're saying because its old, it's not killing any new animals for the sake of fashion, it's more enviromental than vegan. I don't think there's any generally wrong with that way of thinking but I do disagree with Stella's support of Peta, who's all sorts of crazy, hyprocritical shove our beliefs down your throat people.

Just from personal experience, most vegans seem to be sheep and don't bother researching or thinking for themselves. It's becoming a type of religion. They're quick to jump on vegans that "slip" or live on their own beliefs when they're basically doing nothing for the general philosophy. Again, I think Stella is doing a great service to those that choose tihs lifestyle (and even those that don't). No one can be 100% vegan.



Well said I am a vegetarian, and I don't wear leather or fur. Not even used (though at times I am tempted to buy second hand leather items). But I'm not going to go crazy on the vegetarians/vegans who do. I can see the reasoning for it.

  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  13
backstage pass
 
stilista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 774
Because of Stella's so-called beliefs, I don't think it's OK for her to be seen wearing vintage leather boots...she is seen as a bit of an 'It' girl, her personal style is photographed, commented on and copied, so even though her boots are vintage (and ok in her mind) in perpetuates the trend for new leather boots, thus increasing the manufacturers' need to churn out more of them to keep up with demand.

It just adds to the whole Kate/Sienna/whoever thing for wearing vintage leather boots, and almost every girl copying the look, many of whom buy new but "vintage looking" boots.

Make any sense?


Last edited by stilista; 25-01-2005 at 07:32 PM.
  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  14
kabhi alvida
 
impossibleprincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,604
I read that interview. It was funny b/c the very clever journalist definitely knew where she was going, saying "I look closely at her boots...these must be the faux leather ones flying out of her stores...they look so real..." and then at the end McCartney is like, "the boots I should have worn..." because she probably realised her mistake.

__________________
The world is moving so fast now that we start freaking long before our parents did because we don't ever stop to breathe anymore. the last kiss
  Reply With Quote
25-01-2005
  15
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,480
Impossibleprincess, would it be possible for you to post the entire interview or would you know if it is available online?

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
leather, mccartney, stella, wears
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.