How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-01-2005
trendsetter

Stella McCartney Now Wears Leather?
I was told that Stella recently gave an interview in the Sunday Telegraph during which the interviewer noticed she was wearing leather boots. She responded by saying that they were vintage leather so it was OK. Has anyone read this article?

25-01-2005
V.I.P.

chuh.

25-01-2005
tfs star

obladi oblada
linda mccartney was a principled woman, and a role model for all things good and proper.

no one ever said her daughter stella was smart.

25-01-2005
fashion insider

It was on the frontpage of the Sunday Telegraph

Muse

Vintage leather is still leather.....

backstage pass

As a vegan myself I've heard this argument. Most vegans would go nuts over this, but I know where she's coming from. In general I've made an exception for footwear, the choices we have out there are really terrible, construction, material, price and availability.

The "used" reasoning is basically saying that since it's not new its not harming animals. This is a weak reasoning though from a vegan standpoint since it still killed an animal, no matter how long ago it was.

Vegan lifestyle is, in my opinion, really philisophical and I think people should live their life on their own terms. I get a lot of heat for my choices, but I personally believe I'm doing more for vegans (same for Stella McCartney) than those who choose to use their energy screaming and protesting and splashing paint over fur coats making those that wear them just buy more. My reason to persue fashion design is to make better vegan clothing choices for vegans out there, including footwear.

Last edited by mouko; 25-01-2005 at 09:01 AM.
25-01-2005
no photos, no photos

As hypocritical as it sounds. I do agree with her. I am not the biggest fan of furs, but reconstructed vintage furs are okay in my book.

25-01-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouko
As a vegan myself I've heard this argument. Most vegans would go nuts over this, but I know where she's coming from. In general I've made an exception for footwear, the choices we have out there are really terrible, construction, material, price and availability.

The "used" reasoning is basically saying that since it's not new its not harming animals. This is a weak reasoning though from a vegan standpoint since it still killed an animal, no matter how long ago it was.

Vegan lifestyle is, in my opinion, really philisophical and I think people should live their life on their own terms. I get a lot of heat for my choices, but I personally believe I'm doing more for vegans (same for Stella McCartney) than those who choose to use their energy screaming and protesting and splashing paint over fur coats making those that wear them just buy more. My reason to persue fashion design is to make better vegan clothing choices for vegans out there, including footwear.
I like your words, they ring very true to me.

I'm a raw food eater with some vegan meals when I travel.

But let me tell you I am a shoe-designer and I do work with leather. It is a personal choice, one that I think battle daily, but I am not vocal about what people do or don't do, I have read Ms. McCartney's words and she seems against leather etc. I mean it is her choice, but I can see how people will snicker at her boots and go "hmm".

The only thing I won't touch is fur, yes hypocritical.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylegurrl
I was told that Stella recently gave an interview in the Sunday Telegraph during which the interviewer noticed she was wearing leather boots. She responded by saying that they were vintage leather so it was OK.

I love it when these political-correct-hypocrites are exposed!

So, "Vintage leather is ok" because "it`s already dead anyway"? Or what? With that way of thinking nobody would be a Vegetarian anymore...

Last edited by Heroin_Chic; 25-01-2005 at 11:24 AM.
25-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin_Chic

I love it when these political-correct-hypocrites are exposed!

So, "Vintage leather is ok" because "it`s already dead anyway"? Or what? With that way of thinking nobody would be a Vegetarian anymore...
Basically they're saying because its old, it's not killing any new animals for the sake of fashion, it's more enviromental than vegan. I don't think there's any generally wrong with that way of thinking but I do disagree with Stella's support of Peta, who's all sorts of crazy, hyprocritical shove our beliefs down your throat people.

Just from personal experience, most vegans seem to be sheep and don't bother researching or thinking for themselves. It's becoming a type of religion. They're quick to jump on vegans that "slip" or live on their own beliefs when they're basically doing nothing for the general philosophy. Again, I think Stella is doing a great service to those that choose tihs lifestyle (and even those that don't). No one can be 100% vegan.

Last edited by mouko; 25-01-2005 at 12:14 PM.
25-01-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Basically they're saying because its old, it's not killing any new animals for the sake of fashion, it's more enviromental than vegan. I don't think there's any generally wrong with that way of thinking but I do disagree with Stella's support of Peta, who's all sorts of crazy, hyprocritical shove our beliefs down your throat people.

Just from personal experience, most vegans seem to be sheep and don't bother researching or thinking for themselves. It's becoming a type of religion. They're quick to jump on vegans that "slip" or live on their own beliefs when they're basically doing nothing for the general philosophy. Again, I think Stella is doing a great service to those that choose tihs lifestyle (and even those that don't). No one can be 100% vegan.
There are people who are 100% vegan and who are very devoted in their beliefs. Stella's brother James is an extreme vegan and won't even eat honey because it is an animal product.

Stella has spent her entire career denouncing leather and fur and denouncing anyone who works with or wears them. I distinctly remember an interview she did in which she chastized Phoebe Philo for designing leather bags and shoes for Chloe. She basically said that some people have no principles and are only in it for the money. She also had it written into her contract that she would use no leather or fur. All of a sudden she thinks "vintage leather" is OK? I find that odd. I am neither veggie nor vegan but I have a problem with someone who gets on a soap box preaching to others then does a 360 in order to be fashionable.

25-01-2005
front row

Quote:

Well said I am a vegetarian, and I don't wear leather or fur. Not even used (though at times I am tempted to buy second hand leather items). But I'm not going to go crazy on the vegetarians/vegans who do. I can see the reasoning for it.

25-01-2005
backstage pass

Because of Stella's so-called beliefs, I don't think it's OK for her to be seen wearing vintage leather boots...she is seen as a bit of an 'It' girl, her personal style is photographed, commented on and copied, so even though her boots are vintage (and ok in her mind) in perpetuates the trend for new leather boots, thus increasing the manufacturers' need to churn out more of them to keep up with demand.

It just adds to the whole Kate/Sienna/whoever thing for wearing vintage leather boots, and almost every girl copying the look, many of whom buy new but "vintage looking" boots.

Make any sense?

Last edited by stilista; 25-01-2005 at 07:32 PM.
25-01-2005
kabhi alvida

I read that interview. It was funny b/c the very clever journalist definitely knew where she was going, saying "I look closely at her boots...these must be the faux leather ones flying out of her stores...they look so real..." and then at the end McCartney is like, "the boots I should have worn..." because she probably realised her mistake.

trendsetter

Impossibleprincess, would it be possible for you to post the entire interview or would you know if it is available online?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
leather, mccartney, stella, wears