How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-09-2011
.my prison is your brain.

I don't have a problem with it either. At least he is not stealing concepts from other photographers as has been done to him more than a handful of times.

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

He did something like that even longer ago for Italian Vogue where he juxtaposed altered images of models looking ugly with altered images where they had some kind of plastic surgery improvement.

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

^That was the 'Makeover Madness' ed from July 2005 and it was very different in my opinion. Here they're just showing models in scruffy casual clothes and then dressed as iconic women of the past. In the 2005 ed there were 'before' pictures were models looked raw with marks on their faces and messy hair and 'after' pictures that showed them dressed luxuriously and most importantly photoshopped to death.

don't look down

In the nineties, I remember times when he shot a long editorial for Italian Vogue, and then a few different images from the same (or a very similar) sitting turned up in US Vogue, and it often made me appreciate the theme more, seeing it in the context of a different issue, with a different content surrounding it.

V.I.P.

Meisel's last big W feature was a real stroke of genius (the androgyny exploration), so it is sad to see something like this happen. He usually is good about being original, or at least stealing the best from the film and celebrity worlds.

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

^Meisel's last big feature for W was the March 2009 one with all those socialites as jail convicts.

V.I.P.

Isn´t Meisel king of recycling ideas? his and other photographers? so why is this news? sounds like promotion for W, if nothing else...

06-09-2011
fashion elite

^^Near identical ...i'm not seeing it ,maybe its just me. Meisel bores the **** out of me,but it seems somebody is just trying to create some headlines and is Meisel really going to be bothered by being sacked by W W has become such a lowrated magazine that i'm suprised they even have top photographers working for them ( Money talks).

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

Why are people saying "oh it's no big deal to recycle your own idea/photoshoot"? Am I reading the article wrong or is that not the main problem that W staff has about the whole thing? They're not complaining that he shot a story for them based on an idea that he's used in the past. Nor are they complaining that he's used the same idea subsequently some time later.

I think the two main problems are that at the same time as W is paying Meisel to produce an original product for them, unbeknown to them, he's shooting the same ed for another (much more prolific and competing) publication to run at the same time. Another issue is that there may be some concern about W's money going to fund an editorial for a competing publication. Both valid concerns. Either the competing ed at VI should've been disclosed to W to assure that there's no conflict of interest and to assure that W is getting what they pay for - an original photo story. Or, Meisel and VI should've waited a few months at least to run the similar story in VI. Even if there was no impropriety here, there's certainly an appearance of one at the very least, and Meisel and/or VI should've taken appropriate steps to prevent that.

I don't really understand how one photographer can have such a monopoly in the fashion world. Even if you subscribe to the school of thought that he's the best photographer, he's hardly the only good photographer, so why not explore other young talent. I don't think that the editorial(s) in question couldn't have been produced by another photographer. But that's neither here nor there. What I do hope is that despite the risk of 'losing' the potential long term connection with Meisel, W does end up addressing the issue (though I'm not sure what they could do, other than perhaps sue for breach of contract, which seems too severe and offer potential PR disaster).

Last edited by MyNameIs; 06-09-2011 at 10:57 AM.
06-09-2011
Mr. Magic

^You're not the only one. I too, read the problem is the budget thingie.

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

06-09-2011
fashion elite

it really is impossible to be original when you have done literally almost everything that u have thought about. that is the case for meisel. this man have been in the business for so many years......his brain is not as fresh as it used to be.

must like m&m, their gucci ad looks exactly the same as lara's ed.

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

It's rude and unprofessional for me. MANY photographers play with sequence, sometimes overdo an aesthetic or have several seasons when you can tell they're clearly exploring a source of inspiration and won't let go no matter how repetitive it looks. This is not the case. He's basically giving W some of his IV leftovers, I don't care if it was not shot the same day or on the same location, he's still not being reciprocal to his client. I actually find this a little worse than simply ripping off someone else's editorial, but to each their own, I doubt there will be any repercussions anyway, and like it was mentioned previously, Steven is kind of a ghost from the past by now, very 90s, he probably can't really see anything wrong in this and probably didn't have such bad intentions, as stupid as it sounds.

fashion insider

ALL this famous fashion photographers do not have an original idea for more than a decade.
Magazines should expect endless repetition, isn't that why they are paying? For a name? Maybe a certain aesthetic?
If they want something new maybe they should try to invest in young talent.

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
He's basically giving W some of his IV leftovers.
That's how I look at it. It's a bit embarrassing that it's only one month apart. Usually people can forgive if the same idea is used 5 years later but one month. And you can't use the excuse of the mags being based in different countries/different audience. That sh*t don't fly with me. This is the internet age.

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

^yes some people just hold certain talents on a pedestal and it's as if they could do anything... i find it silly that people are defending someone who produced an identical idea in a month, but really this studio idea of two different personas has been done by him all year basically

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
identical, italian, meisel, portfolio, shoots, steven, vogue