How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-09-2011
The future is stupid

Steven Meisel Shoots Nearly Identical Portfolio for W, Italian Vogue
source | wwd.com

Quote:
September 6, 2011
Steven Meisel Shoots Nearly Identical Portfolio for W, Italian Vogue
MEISELíS MIRROR IMAGES:
The staff of W landed a long-awaited coup for its September issue: Photographer Steven Meisel shot a 22-page black-and-white portfolio for the magazine. W staffers were pleased to have Meisel in their magazine and the portfolio was a hit in their Sixth Avenue offices. Meisel took 10 models and shot them in ďbeforeĒ and ďafterĒ shots ó what they look like all dolled up alongside a more natural look. It appeared to be the beginning of a glorious relationship between Meisel and the new team at W.

The good feelings didnít last long. In the last week, W staffers discovered that Meisel shot a nearly identical concept for the August Italian Vogue. Meisel did not inform them of this.

In the Italian Vogue portfolio, there are black-and-white photos of model Raquel Zimmermann dressed naturally juxtaposed with photos of her all dolled up. In some cases, she is in nearly identical poses to some of the models in W. In fact, Meisel used Zimmermann in two of his photos for the W portfolio. To make matters worse, this wasnít something that could be swept under the carpet: Meiselís portfolio was Italian Vogueís cover story. One source said that some W insiders believe Meisel may have financed the Italian Vogue photo on their dime.

There are differences between the shoots: They were styled by different people (Karl Templer for Italian Vogue and Edward Enninful for W); W showcases different models (Linda Evangelista, Carolyn Murphy, Karen Elson and Jessica Stam, among others), while Italian Vogue uses only Zimmermann.

Meiselís agent did not respond to an e-mail seeking comment. Stefano Tonchi, Wís editor in chief, declined to comment.

The fallout will be worth watching. If it damages Wís relationship with Meisel, Tonchi will lose out on a big-name photographer heís craved for the magazine. If Tonchi doesnít act, it will demonstrate the lengths a fashion magazine editor will go to appease a photographer who holds considerable influence in the industry.
Vogue Italia August 2011
Giorno e Notte

Photographer: Steven Meisel
Styling: Karl Templer
Model: Raquel Zimmermann

vogue.it via gilsa0870

06-09-2011
The future is stupid

W September 2011
Transformers

Models: Linda Evangelista, Karen Elson, Guinevere van Seenus,
Jamie Bochert, Raquel Zimmermann, Jessica Stam, Candice Huffine,
Aymeline Valade, Carolyn Murphy & Sun Fei Fei
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Stylist: Edward Enninful

source | models wmagazine via tarsha

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 06-09-2011 at 12:47 AM.
06-09-2011
The future is stupid

source | models wmagazine via tarsha

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

I knew those photos of Raquel looked familiar! But Meisel did a great job of camouflaging them with the other photos.

06-09-2011
backstage pass

well this just proves that Meisel is running out of ideas.... kinda sad actually...

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

It is kinda sad.
I'm actually loving the W spread more.

tfs star

It's about time for Meisel to be called out for his Repetitious B/W Studio Shoots. They've all been similar but these two could be for the same shoot. I wouldn't doubt it if Raquel's Photos for both Magazines were shot in the same day.

06-09-2011
fashion icon

So what? Every damn photographer can be accused of the same exact thing.

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

^Exactly. I'm not at all bothered that the stories are identical.

clever ain't wise

I don't see a problem. Especially not for Raquel...she is shown to be as versatile as a whole cavalcade of models and celebrities. Kudos and congratulations to her

Plus, don't people do this with eds and campaigns all the time. This could have ended up as a Gap campaign (you know, some mammary glands excluded and whatnot).

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 06-09-2011 at 03:03 AM.
06-09-2011
V.I.P.

which one is Linda's natural shot? lol...

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

I don't really see how this deserved an enitre WWD article. I mean is it the first time a photographer recycles an idea? Raquel's editorial by I&V in this month's Vogue China is identical to Lara's ed also by I&V in January's W. And not to mention M&M who used the exact same concept for the new Tod's campaign with Anne Hathaway as the one they had used for the Louis Vuitton Spring 2008 campaign. I can't see what the big fuss is all about as this certainly isn't a new phenomenon and Meisel isn't the first one to do that.

V.I.P.

Quote:
In the last week, W staffers discovered that Meisel shot a nearly identical concept for the August Italian Vogue. Meisel did not inform them of this.
Where do people at W live? Vogue Italia August is on newsstand for over a month now and the inside content appeared a little before thanks to storemags.com.

Alluring

Nice to know, I didn't notice that natural/sophisticated motif in Vogue Italia story until now. I just looked at them as a set of randomly put images, just like few other of their main editorials by Meisel.

06-09-2011
V.I.P.

I immediately thought of VI August, when I've seen that W editorial.
Maybe they're uncomfortable at W because both stories were published almost same time and it was too easy for everyone to find the similarity. I don't like mostly any of the eds, some shots are ok.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
identical, italian, meisel, portfolio, shoots, steven, vogue