How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-02-2012
don't look down

If you're blonde with boobs, that makes you popular, but also entirely replaceable.

If you publicly criticise a girl who sinks without trace, you've wasted words on someone who was never worth noticing in the first place.

But if a model spins her popularity into lasting success, you've prematurely written off someone who's far smarter than they look, and whom you might have to work with some day.

Either way, it seems more prudent for a person to stay silent on the topic.

16-02-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryNights View Post
I wasn't exactly a fan of Kate Upton before, but all this hate surrounding her SI cover actually makes me like her more. The way this Sophia has commented on Kate is just plain nasty. Maybe that is really what everyone thinks but, seriously, what is the point of saying this kind of thing out loud in such an ugly manner? It's not like people don't understand what type of model Kate is! And the girl is only 19 and she just got a major break, obviously it would be overwhelming for her. It's a bit sad how much bashing she's received for that cover, it seemed like even the rest of SI models showed a bit of hostile behaviour when the cover was revealed (compared to last year for example). And I don't think Kate looks any more vulgar than Marisa Miller looked back in her SI days.
Can you elaborate on this? Are the other SI models not being supportive of Kate?

16-02-2012
trendsetter

I can tell there are a few Victoria's Secret naysayers but I think there is a vast difference between the VS model and SI girl. With SI, it's catered to the men that's basically sports/macho-ism fantasy where as VS, you're selling your product to your customers even if it's "tacky" or "cheap".

16-02-2012
front row

I know as a fact that some of the more 'experienced' SI models are NOT happy with Kate getting the cover, even myself being a fan of Kate didn't like the fact that she got the cover over Anne or Cintia & i don't like the cover itself either. But Kate is bringing the press & most of males here in the US adore her so I'm sure the magazine is selling like crazy.

However i think this woman is an idiot, seriously you work for one of the biggest companies out there & you came up with this crap? So rude & stupid, especially because Kate already worked for VS. & to be honest I'll take Kate over their extremely boring Erin or Candice who IMO was born for Playboy, at least Kate has an amazing body unlike most of the current VS Angels, it's a matter of taste & she shouldn't have said anything & especially not in such a rude way.

16-02-2012
V.I.P.

She's only 19? No wonder her response back was so immature.

windowshopping

I'm not a Kate fan, and I think her response to Sophia's comment was very immature. The way she is conducting herself in interviews now is also very conceited. I think there is a way to promote the cover but carry yourself with class, as we've seen previous models do, i.e. Tyra, Bar, Caroline, Petra & Rebecca. However with that being said, I don't think Sophia should have made those comments. Besides, it's not like the girls she casts now are incredible diverse. They all look the same in the catalog, and horrible without all the airbrushing and makeup. The Fashion Show does attract bigger names and some high fashion models, like Karolina, Lily D, Stam, & Miranda, but for the most part VS has become very generic and their models bland. They've gone downhill since Gisele!

17-02-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLimaVzla View Post
I know as a fact that some of the more 'experienced' SI models are NOT happy with Kate getting the cover, even myself being a fan of Kate didn't like the fact that she got the cover over Anne or Cintia & i don't like the cover itself either. But Kate is bringing the press & most of males here in the US adore her so I'm sure the magazine is selling like crazy.

However i think this woman is an idiot, seriously you work for one of the biggest companies out there & you came up with this crap? So rude & stupid, especially because Kate already worked for VS. & to be honest I'll take Kate over their extremely boring Erin or Candice who IMO was born for Playboy, at least Kate has an amazing body unlike most of the current VS Angels, it's a matter of taste & she shouldn't have said anything & especially not in such a rude way.
Second here.

I'm not a fan of Kate but they'd better use girls like Kate in their campaigns. IMO Sophia said that without even thinking. I've never liked this woman (I'd prefer Charlotte Stockdale working for VS) and here her commets were really unnecessary, besides that she's not the last person deciding who's going to walk VS shows. Kate didn't do her best doing SI but she looked good in VS pics. I personally see Kate as next Marisa Miller and I won't be surprised if Kate does VS show in few years. Sophia won't stay at VS forever.

Last edited by Niusity; 17-02-2012 at 09:16 AM.
17-02-2012
clever ain't wise

I guess the fact that Kate is natural and enjoys herself is a problem for some people. Of course, I can certainly understand how she doesn't appeal to those why like only arty beauty. Personally, I like both arty and cute/regular/glamour.

Anyway, VS uses girls like Izabel Ghoulart rather than naturally busty girls like Kate.......obviously I can't go into detail about that but to me it is incredibly weird when you're selling underwear and swimsuits. There seems to be some sort of idea that a DD can't be classy. Given the right stylist and make-up artist Kate Upton could be incredibly lovely, nearly obscene bust and all.

I watched an interview with her now - she has sparkle, charm and her tits are definitely to die for.

Incredible that this lovely girl gets criticism instead of those morons who got the SI cover together.

17-02-2012
V.I.P.

IMG seems to be pushing her into fashion...I read that she is doing V with Carine. But, she's clearly meant for money jobs, commercials, and all that stuff built around personality. We'll see what they can do. I know people were skeptical about Candice crossing over, but she does have a fashion look.

17-02-2012
V.I.P.

I can't believe I read the words "Kate" and "natural" in one line. I have never heard of this girl but looking at her off-duty pics on google she pretty much reflects the epitome of artificial cheapness.
I'm not a fan of VS. But VS is kind of subtler... while SI is pretty close at the limits of a jerk-off magazine for the average trucker redneck, sorry.

17-02-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
I can't believe I read the words "Kate" and "natural" in one line. I have never heard of this girl but looking at her off-duty pics on google she pretty much reflects the epitome of artificial cheapness.
I'm not a fan of VS. But VS is kind of subtler... while SI is pretty close at the limits of a ***EDIT*** for the average trucker redneck, sorry.
LOL so true!

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 18-02-2012 at 06:04 AM.
17-02-2012
V.I.P.

Candice Swanepoel > Kate Upton. No contest. At least Candice can do Chanel.. sultry and elegant , the girl is a goddess

18-02-2012
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
I'm not a fan of VS. But VS is kind of subtler... while SI is pretty close at the limits of a ***EDIT*** for the average trucker redneck, sorry.
Well, you're wrong. Cheap, yes. Artificial, not really - not if you consider the body parts at least. The VS girls, most of them, are far more artificial. And, no, sorry, just because VS tries to be classier by having models with "high fashion figures", that doesn't necessarily mean that it's subtler. It's just more painful and forced - artificial in fact.

18-02-2012
fashion elite

While what Sophia said was harsh, it was also very true. Kate's look is extremely generic and very playboy.
anorak.co.uk

Comparing her to Candice is difficult because while Candice is blond with blue eyes, her features are much more refined and severe. Kate's look and figure is far more attainable to the average girl than Candice's. She's just a pretty blond with large breasts aka: more sorority girl than supermodel.

clever ain't wise

Again, it seems the breasts are the only reason. And maybe that she doesn't have as much of a high fashion figure.

Sorry, I see no difference really between their faces. Possibly the nose which may indeed be a bit more refined on Candice. Anyway, give Kate a month or two doing the high fashion model regimen and I'm sure her features would become more severe as well.

I think Izabel and Marisa are as vulgar as Kate. Sure, they don't play with it like Kate does, but they still stand there like moronic pieces of flesh - never ever showing personality, will, interest, reason or anything worth paying attention to. Candice may not quite be there yet, but she's well on her way.

Anyway, this is not about Candice. This is about VS thinking they are more than the smut that they are because they make sure their models have high fashion figures to go with the disastrous outfits and moronic performance, where they all perfectly embody our society's pathetic standards for women.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 18-02-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cover, girl, kate, neophitou, si, slams, sophia, stylist, upton