How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-02-2012
V.I.P.

Maybe this is all a publicity stunt to get people talking about -the pretty much unknown- Kate and then VS will hire her to do something other than catalogue work LOL

19-02-2012
fashion icon

The fault for Kate's "trashy" appearance lies with the SI cover stylist. Kate is clearly capable of looking better but their decision to proceed with 2-inch roots and a bikini that's three sizes too small cheapens her whole look on the cover.

19-02-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
Maybe this is all a publicity stunt to get people talking about -the pretty much unknown- Kate and then VS will hire her to do something other than catalogue work LOL
Unknown in the fashion world, but in the mainstream everybody recognizes her.

V.I.P.

^I didn´t know that, in the mainstream US you mean? what for?
*edit* I´ve read her wiki entry, can´t believe she´s really that famous for what she´s done...

Last edited by kokobombon; 19-02-2012 at 04:10 PM.
21-02-2012
front row

I can't say there isn't a grain of truth in what Sophia (who is a muse for Roland Mouret and a real-life fashion editor herself) said - Kate is a pretty girl, but if anyone thinks that her larger bust automatically puts her in the company of girls like Daisy Lowe and Lara Stone, they're mistaken. And her face is just so generic, I can't get past it, she looks like a chipmunk with t*ts. The mainstream can keep her tbh.

21-02-2012
V.I.P.

^seems like Kate is really famous in US cause of some YT video and her boyfriend. I only knew her from her Guess ads...

23-02-2012
V.I.P.

I agree with the comparisons between Marisa Miller and Kate Upton, when I see some of her swim wear images I have had this pang of familiarity and then I realize that I am thinking of Marisa. Another SI cover model that Kate reminds me of is Carolyn Murphy, who also happens to be a long-time Estee Lauder contract model, a Vogue Italia cover model and, correct me if I am wrong, a muse of Tom Ford. I also agree with the point that someone else made that Kate Upton seems to be directing her career to something more mainstream and commercial and there is nothing wrong with that.

I am a VS fan but I don't like Sophia Neophitou's comment, not because there is not truth to it, but it is not as if Kate represents a type that VS had not taken on before, far from it. The VS PTB probably said similar things about Heidi and Marisa but then presumably looked at their overall packages and ended up booking them. I would not be surprised if they thought that Gisele and Alessandra were too horsey and masculine looking, and Adriana and Frederique too vapid looking, but then looked at their overall packages and ended up booking them. I think that Sophia Neophitou's comment did a disservice to VS the company and the VSFS because it made them look more narrow-minded and less bold than they actually are. Alek Wek, Karen Elson and Omahyra Mota have walked for the VSFS and I think that they are more of out-of-the-box casting choices than Kate Upton would be.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com

Last edited by agee; 23-02-2012 at 03:37 PM.
24-02-2012
front row

Would some of you really book Kate for the VSFS?
I think there would be no problem with her doing their catalog stuff but seriously, she's
awful on the runway. So I'm with Sophia, I'd never cast her. Like I know, they not always
have the best walkers, but it's really painful to watch her on the catwalk.

24-02-2012
V.I.P.

^ The VSFS is one of the most sought after bookings in modeling so the odds are against any model who tries out, and yes Kate's big boobs, enthusiastic personality, a skimpy costume and upbeat music could make for a vulgar visual, I am not saying that it cannot be done but as things stand, she is probably not a good fit for the show. But come on, if a reporter asked Sophia Neophitou to comment about casting some nineteen year old androgynous or alien looking model who is the flavor of the moment, I would also find it poor form if, truthful or not, she said, "she would never be cast in our runway show she looks like a twelve year old boy," or "... she needs to phone home."

As far as her current walk is concerned, it is fair to say Kate Upton is not of the caliber to walk the VSFS and that makes sense since most commercial models like her have not done a lot of runway, but it is not wise to make comments as if a limitation that a model currently has will always be an impediment. I will be willing to bet that many folks would not take it well if, a few years ago, a VSFS casting director said something like, "Model X will never walk for VSFS, she walks like a dude," "Model Y will never walk for VSFS, she looks scary on the runway." IMO there were ways that Sophia Neophitou could have honestly addressed the topic that she was being asked about and been more circumspect.

24-02-2012
hors concours♛

it was rude of Sophia to say it out in the open but models are always told this sort of stuff when they go into agencies everyday. They have to learn how to have a thick skin if they want to succeed anyways. I once worked for a modeling agency and girls with Kate's aesthetic were told to head to the acting division. If Kate has a strong spirit this will only make her want to work harder and hopefully prove people wrong.

Tags
cover, girl, kate, neophitou, si, slams, sophia, stylist, upton