TIME Magazine: The All-TIME 100 greatest fashion icons - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-04-2012
fashion insider

How dare they put David Bowie in one list with Gisele BŁndchen & Heidi Klum!?! What an insult for Bowie!!!

The list has lost its credibility by listing these two denim & flip flops fashion FAILURES!

03-04-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin_Chic View Post
How dare they put David Bowie in one list with Gisele BŁndchen & Heidi Klum!?! What an insult for Bowie!!!

The list has lost its credibility by listing these two denim & flip flops fashion FAILURES!
Are we talking about the same Gisele BŁndchen? One of most iconic models of all time? The most import model of the last decade? The highest paid model in the world? The beauty icon? The runway and campaign queen? You mean that one?

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
03-04-2012
less is more

I can't believe Madeleine Vionnet isn't on the list. Superb designer and very influential indeed. Also, I think the models list is rather poor. Definitely not enough models from the early days of modelling: the 1950s era. And why Cindy, Linda and Naomi, but no Christy or Claudia? I can't see any real difference in icon status between those 5. Klum has no place there though.

03-04-2012
Stitch:the Hand

there are definitely some positives on this but certainly some questionable choices and omissions. where are the belgians? their influence on fashion is unquestionable. MMM,demeulemeester,van noten?? come on. and no Yohji?! that's a crying shame.

as for MK and ashley....what exactly is their influence? their collections are how old? i mean i remember them mostly in the mass market field.....targeting teens and tweens for much of their existence. to me this is hardly a point to deem them amongst "greatest".

Last edited by Scott; 03-04-2012 at 08:59 AM.
03-04-2012
I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox_yr_sox View Post
Klum has no place there though.
The inclusion of Klum is kind of odd.. She's had a big place in recent popular culture but in fashion? and the fact that she's listed as a model..
They might as well have included Tyra

03-04-2012
V.I.P.

Michelle Obama? Lady Gaga? Heidi Klum?

How about no?

But satisfaction brought it back
03-04-2012
clever ain't wise

The photographer list is weird. Where's Francesco Scavullo? David Bailey? Bob Richardson?

And what about Halston? Walter Albini?

And seriously, what are Heidi Klum, Lady Gaga and Farrah Fawcett doing there...and like, replace Gisele by Charlotte Rampling...

It's a very popularity contest list...

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 04-04-2012 at 04:10 AM. Reason: grammar!
03-04-2012
barcode

I think people are missing the point of the list that includes Michelle Obama and Lady Gaga. It's not so much about what they've worn, but the influence they've wielded, and in a relatively short amount of time. No, Michelle Obama may not be at Jackie's level of "Style Icon", but that's not why she's included. She's included, most likely, because she's probably on par with Jackie in terms of the interest people show in what she wears, not to mention that she has completely broken the mold for what First Ladies of the US wear and how they approach dressing.

And Lady Gaga, despite what anyone wants to believe, most certainly is a presence in fashion. When was the last time that a pop star's wardrobe choices garnered such scrutiny? When was the last time the fashion industry at large showed such interest in a recording artist?

Seriously, it's like people see these names and forget that they actually have been influential in some way. Of course the list leaves off names, but it's not as if the names that were included aren't iconic on a global scale.

03-04-2012
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
Olsen twins, Lady Gaga, Michelle Obama have no place on this list. They came too late and have either done too little or done things that had been done before them. I'm even tempted to exclude Patricia Field and Madonna, but I wasn't around when Madonna burst on the scene so I can't say but she's barely had any fashion influence since I've been on this planet.

Nicolas Ghesquire, Helmut Lang and Yohji Yamamoto need to be on this list. They've had immense influence on modern fashion. And Grace Jones too.
And in all honesty, if Lady Gaga is going to be on this list then so should Tupac, because his influence on clothing was huuuge when I was growing up.
But his influence was not ever, unless memory fails me, felt within the world of fashion. His look (and that of his contemporaries) influenced the streets, but it never reached in the opposite direction, to the runways.

03-04-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
Michelle Obama? Lady Gaga? Heidi Klum?

How about no?
Well said.

Also Olsen twins.

Especially when you think of all the names they didn't include. I mean, Bill Cunningham spent a few decades changing the shape of fashion photography, but he's not nearly as 'iconic' as Michelle Obama or Heidi Klum.

barcode

^ Would anyone outside of fashion's inner circles and the people who follow them know who Bill Cunningham is?

My guess would be no, in which case he's not as iconic as they are, is he?

I mean, being iconic does sort of imply an overall universal recognition, along with achievement, does it not?

03-04-2012
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I dont know who he is or what he did^
As for Gisele, Michelle Obama Gaga and Farrah they all deserve t be there, Gisele was instrumental int he rise of the Brazilian model invasion, Michelle Obama has drastically changed thw way we see 1st ladies and politicians fashion wise, Farrah Fawcett had her influence in both hair and also in the 1970s style thanks to her shows though Heather Locklear should also be there is Farrah is there, Gaga has also influenced alot of designers, fashion editors and the general public in terms of clothes, makeup and even accessories

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
^ Would anyone outside of fashion's inner circles and the people who follow them know who Bill Cunningham is?

My guess would be no, in which case he's not as iconic as they are, is he?

I mean, being iconic does sort of imply an overall universal recognition, along with achievement, does it not?
If we're going to limit the list to those known "outside the fashion circles" then half of that list would need to be removed.

V.I.P.

Where The Hell Is Paolo Roversi

04-04-2012
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
If we're going to limit the list to those known "outside the fashion circles" then half of that list would need to be removed.
Really? There's maybe a total of 20 names on that list that I think could leave people scratching their heads unless they follow fashion. I'd say a solid 75-80% of that list is made up of globally recognized names that people both inside and outside of fashion would recognize.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
100, alltime, fashion, greatest, icons, magazine, time