How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-04-2012
V.I.P.

TIME Magazine: The All-TIME 100 greatest fashion icons

DESIGNERS & BRANDS
Azzedine Alaïa
Giorgio Armani
Cristobal Balenciaga
Manolo Blahnik
Sara Blakely
Pierre Cardin
Jacques Cartier
Hussein Chalayan
Coco Chanel
Christian Dior
Dolce & Gabbana
Tom Ford
Hubert de Givenchy
John Galliano
Jean Paul Gaultier
Jacques Heim and Louis Réard
Rudi Gernreich
Hermès
Marc Jacobs
Rei Kawakubo
Calvin Klein
René Lacoste
Karl Lagerfeld
Jeanne Lanvin
Ralph Lauren
Christian Louboutin
Alexander McQueen
Issey Miyake
Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen
Jean Patou
Miuccia Prada
Mary Quant
Roy Raymond
Yves Saint Laurent
Jil Sander
Elsa Schiaparelli
Levi Strauss
Tiffany & Co.
Philip Treacy
Valentino
Gianni Versace
Diane von Furstenberg
Louis Vuitton
Vera Wang
Vivienne Westwood

MODELS
Gisele Bündchen
Naomi Campbell
Cindy Crawford
Linda Evangelista
Iman
Beverly Johnson
Heidi Klum
Kate Moss
Jean Shrimpton
Twiggy

MUSES
Josephine Baker
Brigitte Bardot
The Beatles
Jane Birkin
David Bowie
James Dean
Farrah Fawcett
Zelda Fitzgerald
Jean Harlow
Audrey Hepburn
Katharine Hepburn
Michael Jackson
Grace Kelly
Lady Gaga
Madonna
Michelle Obama
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
Bettie Page
Princess Diana
Andy Warhol

PHOTOGRAPHERS
Richard Avedon
Guy Bourdin
Horst P. Horst
Nick Knight
Annie Leibovitz
Steven Meisel
Martin Munkácsi
Helmut Newton
Irving Penn
Herb Ritts
Mario Testino
Ellen von Unwerth
Bruce Weber

EDITORS & STYLISTS
Isabella Blow
Grace Coddington
Patricia Field
Robin Givhan
Edith Head
Eleanor Lambert
Barbara "Babe" Paley
Carine Roitfeld
Franca Sozzani
Liz Tilberis
Diana Vreeland
Anna Wintour

Full list with articles: http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...110513,00.html

02-04-2012
fashion icon

This is a pretty fantastic list! Thanks for sharing it with us. I like that it has a mixture of classic designers/icons/muses/etc alongside modern ones too. I am sure that a few of the people on the list are debatable (like Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen. I really like what they are doing with their brand but it might be a bit too soon to call it iconic) but that's okay because "great fashion icons" is subjective. Overall quite a great list of people.

V.I.P.

Heidi Klum? There are so many fantastic models in this world and they pick Heidi Klum?

backstage pass

I find it weird that they went with Heidi Klum who has never worked a day of her life in High Fashion but left out Tyra Banks who although decided to go the commercial route, was still a very successful HF model...

02-04-2012
fashion icon

Well, she's extremely powerful with her business and Project Runway. I think that she's probably on this list because she has become a brand in her own right.

02-04-2012
V.I.P.

I'm not sure Heidi Klum deserves this or not but her influence resides precisely in the fact that she became huge just for solely being a model and once there, branched out and brought fashion to entertainment.. on an accessible scale. I don't remember anyone else managing to do that so in a way, the fact that there are millions of people who were introduced to fashion design via television and via Heidi Klum sort of establishes her as a powerful figure that did respond to times way before anyone else (who knows if she designed that strategy but she carried it out and came to represent it).

I have to say I find it weird that nor Christy or Claudia are included here.. I was never a fan of the supermodels but they're as iconic as it gets.. unlike Heidi's influence, Claudia and Christy have been an institution for those willingly getting into fashion (not necessarily exposed to it by media), all of my aunts (even those that wear nothing but sweatpants these days ) knew who they were and still refer to them when fashion is discussed. They really set some parameters of femininity and show business attire..

Also find it funny that you can show up in 2008, influence a few collections and be the flavor of the month of some editor and suddenly you're being called an icon. What a word anyways..

Last edited by MulletProof; 02-04-2012 at 04:52 PM.
02-04-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post

Also find it funny that you can show up in 2008, influence a few collections and be the flavor of the month of some editor and suddenly you're being called an icon. What a word anyways..
Was that little barb directed towards Lady Gaga or Michelle Obama (or someone else)? Because, I definitely agree with you if it's Lady Gaga.... she has an interesting sense of style but it's not iconic to me. Sure, some of the pieces are memorable but not totally iconic. But who knows, maybe in 10 or more years they will be. I just don't see Lady Gaga as iconic as of now. I do believe that Michelle Obama is iconic (or if not now she will be eventually) because look at what's she's done for women's fashion. Just the act of wearing J.Crew, Target, and other accessible brands has helped make it possible for the "everyday" women to relate to her. Plus, that inauguration gown.... definitely something that'll be remembered!

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

They missed out on Christy, Claudia and Tyra yet have Heidi..really
Mert and Marcus should be there too they are responsible for bringing that over saturated style to high fashion, Juergen Teller and Terry richardon for introducing that candid style of photography. MDC made an additional list of 20 peole that I agree should be here

02-04-2012
V.I.P.

Lady Gaga

fashion insider

i think it's completely ridiculous to see the Olsen twins on the list instead of people like Lacroix, Ghesquière, Tisci, Elbaz, Slimane, Simons, etc.

and no Mert & Marcus and Inez & Vinoodh??

02-04-2012
fashion icon

After looking at this list again, it seems like Time went with the more "recognizable" names in the business rather then some of our favorites, whom we consider influential. I don't think the average reader of Time is going to necessarily know who people like Slimane, Tisci, or Inez & Vinoodh are. And I'm sure they wanted to keep readers interested rather then do a quick scan through because they don't know any of the names.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee MG Tisci View Post
i think it's completely ridiculous to see the Olsen twins on the list instead of people like Lacroix, Ghesquière, Tisci, Elbaz, Slimane, Simons, etc.

and no Mert & Marcus and Inez & Vinoodh??
You nailed it.
I'm SO pissed.

V.I.P.

yeah the Olsen Twins stopped me on my tracks when I scrolled down that list

As for Heidi, to say she's "never worked a day in HF" is inaccurate. She may not have walked for Chanel or Dior, but she's done a handful of smaller shows (Catherine Malandrino, Zac Posen, to name a few)

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/proj...y-gallery#id=1
http://www.style.com/fashionshows/co...2004RTW-ZPOSEN

02-04-2012
V.I.P.

just noticed there's only one Versace on the list.

02-04-2012
Looking Up

Olsen twins, Lady Gaga, Michelle Obama have no place on this list. They came too late and have either done too little or done things that had been done before them. I'm even tempted to exclude Patricia Field and Madonna, but I wasn't around when Madonna burst on the scene so I can't say but she's barely had any fashion influence since I've been on this planet.

Nicolas Ghesquire, Helmut Lang and Yohji Yamamoto need to be on this list. They've had immense influence on modern fashion. And Grace Jones too.
And in all honesty, if Lady Gaga is going to be on this list then so should Tupac, because his influence on clothing was huuuge when I was growing up.

Last edited by Squizree; 02-04-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
100, alltime, fashion, greatest, icons, magazine, time