How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

07-07-2012
rising star

whats wrong about a woman being ambitious? besides she married a man who is moreso

08-07-2012
fashion insider

i don't think she married by ambition.. just look at her career for the last five years, it was clearly a damage to her
and remember that she got married right after Batman Begins, that role would've helped a lot her career but instead then she was replaced for The Dark Knight

08-07-2012
front row

Am I the only one who thinks them "settling" is weird, especially since it's announced two days after she was spotted having an emotional conversation during lunch?

08-07-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretokens View Post
whats wrong about a woman being ambitious? besides she married a man who is moreso
There's nothing wrong with it.

Any normal or even partially sane person would want to settle this privately ...

08-07-2012
V.I.P.

Perhaps Katie Holmes is still a B-list actress but being married to Tom Cruise has benefited her career by making her an A-list celeb. Had she never married Tom Cruise, would she have become such a fashion icon, appeared on so many major magazine covers, or been able to fund/create her own fashion. It is quite possibly that if she had never hooked up with Tom Cruise, today, we might be saying "Katie who?"

Also, just because her acting career did not skyrocket, it doesn't mean she did not hope it would.

Last edited by Jenna16; 08-07-2012 at 02:06 PM.

08-07-2012
V.I.P.

^well that´s true. also i always loved her, she was not so much in the media before like she is now.

08-07-2012
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna16 View Post
Had she never married Tom Cruise, would she have become such a fashion icon
Katie Holmes is a fashion icon? Being on fashion magazines doesn't make someone a fashion icon, let's not get ahead of ourselves here!

08-07-2012
V.I.P.

Katie "style icon" and a B- actress? really?

08-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
Katie Holmes is a fashion icon? Being on fashion magazines doesn't make someone a fashion icon, let's not get ahead of ourselves here!
When I said fashion icon, I was using the term loosely. By fashion icon I meant someone whose style is frequently a subject of interest for the media in today's world. The same could be said for celebs like Blake Lively, Rihanna, JLo, Victoria Beckham or Beyonce.

I get what you mean and I agree that she is no legendary or timeless icon of fashion like Audrey Hepburn of Jackie O.

But is it really necessary to attack?

Last edited by Jenna16; 08-07-2012 at 06:19 PM.

08-07-2012
you soft and only

^ I didn't attack you or anybody in this thread.

Last edited by blueorchid; 08-07-2012 at 06:27 PM.

08-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
^ I didn't attack you or anybody in this thread.
Well, then I'm sorry that I misinterpreted your post and perhaps lvstratus' (?).

I felt like all the emoticons were mocking what I was saying. When I was just trying to make the point that Katie Holmes celeb status has risen because of her marriage to Tom Cruise. Again, I'm sorry if I misunderstood your intention.

08-07-2012
Power to the 99%

^ The results of the marriage in terms of her celebrity status are clear. What I find considerably less clear (and I'm not quite sure how others are gaining their apparently considerable insight into the inner motivation of someone they have never even met) is that boosting her celebrity was her sole intent in entering this marriage.

08-07-2012
fashion icon

^ I def dont think that she did it for her career, I really think she fell for him and was strucked by all the attention of a big star, her longtime "crush" . And Im sure Tom was all over her, making her feel like the most important person in the world, I can imagine all the attention, compliments, gifts, travels, everything trying to impress her and she being young in her twenties, I mean who wouldnt fell... its normal....I think she truly fell in love but then saw his true colors(and cos true colors) after all that "in love first fase" was over.

08-07-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
What I find considerably less clear is that boosting her celebrity was her sole intent in entering this marriage.
Well, let's see...

A few weeks after her engagement to long time boyfriend ended Katie met Tom Cruise, the actor who she'd had a lifetime crush on. She had Tommy Boy posters on the wall in her room.

A couple of months later they were engaged.

Sounds more like rebound, childhood crush, and whirlwind romancing than a plan motivated by career aspirations.

09-07-2012
front row

Well said leblue15 and shoesexy

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
allowed, cruise, divorced, holmes, includes, katie, religious, scientology, talk, tom