How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-05-2015
Some Like It Hot

Tom Ford 'Nocturnal Animals' Second Movie
Quote:
Focus Features has won the Cannes bidding battle for fashion designer Tom Ford’s second movie as a director, “Nocturnal Animals,” starring Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Backed by its parent studio Universal Pictures, Focus is understood to have taken worldwide rights in a deal costing it more than $20 million.

That price tag — and a p&a commitment in excess of $10 million — makes it by far the biggest deal seen during the Cannes festival so far. And it comes following a highly unusual pitch given by Ford on Thursday at the festival.

Ford said he wanted maximum creative control and that he was prepared to self-finance the production in order to preserve that. However, after a welter of offers, he appears to have had a change of heart and settled with a supportive studio deal.

“Tom’s vision for his film is unique and inspiring and something that global audiences will be thrilled by,” said Focus CEO Peter Schlessel in a statement. “Tom has proven his prowess as a filmmaker and this romantic tale of revenge and regret will be a fantastic addition to our slate”

Rights were handled by Glen Basner’s FilmNation and by CAA.

George Clooney and producing partner Grant Heslov had been attached to produce through their Smokehouse banner when Adams and Gyllenhaal came on board in March, but they are no longer involved with the project.

Clooney’s rep confirmed a recent report in the New York Post in which the actor-producer denied that there had been disagreement with Ford: “No falling out at all. It was just scheduling. Grant and I love the project and think Tom is fantastic. We just couldn’t do it when he needed to go.”

The film is an adaptation of the 1993 novel “Tony And Susan” by Austin Wright, described as a two-part “story inside a story.”

The first part follows a woman named Susan who receives a book manuscript from her ex-husband, a man whom she left 20 years earlier, asking for her opinion. The second part includes the manuscript, titled “Nocturnal Animals,” which revolves around a man whose family vacation turns violent, along with Susan recalling the previous marriage and confronting some dark truths about herself.

“Nocturnal Animals” marks Ford’s return to directing, six years after the release of “A Single Man,” which Ford self-financed. TWC distributed “A Single Man,” which grossed $24 million worldwide, and Colin Firth received a best actor Oscar nomination for portraying a depressed gay British professor living in Los Angeles in 1962.

Focus Features president of acquisitions, Lia Buman, and executive VP of business affairs, Beth Lemberger, negotiated the “Nocturnal Animals” deal on behalf of the studio. Peter Kujawski, managing director of Universal Pictures International Productions, was also instrumental in the agreement.
*Variety.com

31-05-2015
front row

I'm excited for this film. The pressure must be even higher than it was for ASM.
I was quite skeptical about Amy Adams at first but i re-watched American Hustle and she can be a "Tom Ford woman".

I wonder how this project will impact his fashion work. His earlier work at his own brand for the womenswear was quite exclusive and almost baroque...like the Julianne Moore"s character in ASM.

And i can't already wait for the Promo tour..

31-05-2015
Some Like It Hot

^Well we've already seen what a perfect Tom Ford Man Jake Gyllenhaal has made during Cannes 2015. #1 & #2

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
^Well we've already seen what a perfect Tom Ford Man Jake Gyllenhaal has made during Cannes 2015. #1 & #2
Yes! He is perfect even if i hope he will wear some colorful pieces. Tom Ford offers some amazing evening looks for men. It is almost a pity to only see dark velvet and black tux in the RC.

31-05-2015
V.I.P.

Amazing he got such an epic deal, it says a lot about him, and the vision he has for the movie. Very excited that he will do another movie, for a while i thought he won't direct anymore.

31-05-2015
V.I.P.

Can't wait

I can't stand Jake Gyllenhaall though.

Ère de ℳodernité

Very much looking forward to that as A Single Man is one of my favourite movies.

When in doubt, wear red.

Another stellar casting for Ford !
I'm really looking forward to this. A Single Man was magnificent and I love both Jake & Amy who are tremendous actors. I'm also excited because the tone of the film seems to be quite different from ASM.

V.I.P.

Will be one of my most anticipated films. I adored A Single Man.

scenester

His first movie was so good and beautiful, I'm so looking forward to this.

5 Days Ago
V.I.P.

I can't believe I missed the news! I am very excited about the new film, "A Single Man" was amazing. Any idea on when we will be able to see it? I just can not wait

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
animals, ford, movie, nocturnal, tom