How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-11-2011
V.I.P.

UK Bans Hailee Steinfeld's Miu Miu Ad

Quote:
The UK’s Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) must be really bored or something this month. First they pulled Dakota Fanning’s Marc Jacobs Oh Lola ad because she was holding a huge bottle between her legs (we sort of get that one–SORT OF). They’ve now shifted their censoring sights to another American starlet, Hailee Steinfeld, who starred in that cute fall 2011 Miu Miu campaign. Or was it not cute at all, but secretly sinister?

The UK’s ASA has deemed the Miu Miu ad featuring the 14-year-old Steinfeld sitting on a train track “irresponsible because it depicted a child in an unsafe location,” the Telegraph is reporting. Yup. Prada countered this claim with the statement that she “could have easily moved from where she was sitting because she was not restrained in any way.” Here are a few other arguments that we can add to the list:

-She’s 14, not a toddler. She knows that she should get up off that track if a train comes.
-IT’S AN AD AND IT’S FAKE AND EVERYONE KNOWS THIS.

If we lived in the UK we would be slightly annoyed that government money and energy was being put into this. Are these ads even running anymore? Brands are moving into their resort campaigns now, and Miu Miu made damn sure they wouldn’t court any more controversy by casting 34-year-old model Guinevere van Seenus in theirs. Anyway, it’s unclear whether the ASA is officially pulling or banning these ads, or just putting a strongly worded statement out there.

We would like to ask Seth Meyers’ to do a “REALLY?!?” about this one.
fashionista

Last edited by MulletProof; 25-11-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: see tfs guidelines, please.

25-11-2011
clever ain't wise

Oh dear....I agree they could use other models than the most easily manipulated - i.e. babies - but that's about it...

25-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
The UK’s ASA has deemed the Miu Miu ad featuring the 14-year-old Steinfeld sitting on a train track “irresponsible because it depicted a child in an unsafe location,”
Seriously? Someone has a lot of creativity.

V.I.P.

I don't understand, exactly why was it banned? Did they think that it would influence girls to go down to a train track and pose? In fact, what 14-year-old girls are looking at Miu Miu ad campaigns, anyway?

25-11-2011
tfs star

^ this ban is over the top, true, but if 14 year olds are not looking at miu miu ads, why use a 14 year old in their campaign?

25-11-2011
V.I.P.

I still don't get why her age matters at all. If a 20-year old is pictured sitting on a train track it wouldn't be a problem? Sitting anywhere near a train track is stupid anyway but it's still a nice image so who even cares. Besides, why ban an ad campaign that has been running for 4 months already and will be replaced with a new one in a month anyway?

25-11-2011
Alluring

Quote:
The UK’s Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) must be really bored or something this month.

Indeed. And I guess someone from the multi personal shooting crew would have noticed a train coming.

25-11-2011
V.I.P.

There are a lot of dangerous Campaigns... This is a silly apologie.
as an example, the one of Lady Dior (Marion Cotillard) on the Eiffel Tower.

backstage pass

whilst i agree the ban is farfetched, i think people are missing the point that it hints at something that i am not sure we are allowed to discuss here so i am not going to say it. i am sure it is different in many countries, but i would assume in aus many people would have a problem with an ad showing a crying, 'depressed' young girl, sitting on train tracks POSSIBLY waiting for a train to come (and not because she wanted to get on it).. i have seen other ads banned here for a lot less tbh!

it is not her age that is the problem as it is not 'sexualised', or that the actual shoot was unsafe. but i think they are saying perhaps she was too young to understand the concept??

also, i did read another article about it in which the UK ASA did state that what i was alluding to above was the reason, but i cannot find it now!

Last edited by franki; 25-11-2011 at 08:20 PM.
25-11-2011
fashion insider

^I'm also thinking that it could have something to do with that.

But yeah, what's the point if it's almost going out of circulation anyway?

Last edited by TianSoFine; 25-11-2011 at 09:19 PM.
25-11-2011
backstage pass

^ i am trying to find the article where it blatantly states that is the reason, but no luck so far lol.

it does seem pointless now. i wonder if it will see the same fate when it runs in the southern hemisphere.

26-11-2011
backstage pass

Wow.....who's next on the chopping block? I see some points but I don't think the ad should have been pulled. I think they're reading a little too far into it.

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by franki View Post
whilst i agree the ban is farfetched, i think people are missing the point that it hints at something that i am not sure we are allowed to discuss here so i am not going to say it. i am sure it is different in many countries, but i would assume in aus many people would have a problem with an ad showing a crying, 'depressed' young girl, sitting on train tracks POSSIBLY waiting for a train to come (and not because she wanted to get on it).. i have seen other ads banned here for a lot less tbh!

it is not her age that is the problem as it is not 'sexualised', or that the actual shoot was unsafe. but i think they are saying perhaps she was too young to understand the concept??

also, i did read another article about it in which the UK ASA did state that what i was alluding to above was the reason, but i cannot find it now!
I hadn't thought of that reason when looking at the image. But I suppose I can see how someone might look at this image and see that being portrayed. But honestly, when I first looked at it, it seemed more like a movie scene... something a bit dreamy and has a good soundtrack (but then again that's how I view a lot of adverts). It's certainly not an image that I thought warranted a ban. I mean the Marc Jacobs Dakota Fanning advert makes much more sense to ban to me then this Miu Miu ad.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 26-11-2011 at 12:25 PM.
26-11-2011
backstage pass

I see the point of banning it, but I still love the ad, and I agree with YoninahAliza that there are ads that desearve to be banned and as long as there for sure are lots of such ads in UK I don't understand why did they banned this one!

26-11-2011
fashion insider

Kudos to banning the ad! If we disaprove of child-labour in the third world we must disaprove of it in the first world too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ad, bans, hailee, miu, steinfeld, uk