How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-11-2012
scenester

Vogue Hommes Japan to cease publication

Vogue Hommes Japan fashion director Nicola Formichetti has just announced the publication’s closure citing the current Fall/Winter 2012-13 issue as its last. He also said the his next venture in publishing will be with his Vogue Hommes Japan team, Shun Watanabe & Junsuke Yamasaki.

Last edited by Flashbang; 10-11-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Rehosting image.

07-11-2012
V.I.P.

^ so sad.

fashion elite

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! OMG why??? Didn't the magazine sell well??? I'm shocked, this WAS the best men's magazine in the entire world!!! It's so so so sad! OMG what a lowdown. GQ Style is so freakin' commercial, no vision, just clothes.

Ohh wow! Vogue Hommes Japan offered us dreams, different and creative images. It will truely be missed!

front row

I for one won't be missing it, the magazine seemed like it was declining and I can't say I'm surprised it's going. Me personally I think there are better men's fashion magazines out there.

07-11-2012
backstage pass

^^^Exactly. Good riddance.

Hopefully they're able to come back again with a new, more inspired identity that men can relate to-- without Formichetti. He's the extremely weak link and solely responsible for the tackiness and gaudiness of the magazine's look. It always looks like he's styling for some cheap pop music video instead of for high fashion.

Other stylists who are not conventionally glamourous in their vision, like Karl Templer, Katy England, Panos Yiapanis, are never tacky and gaudy as Formichetti. There's always a sophistication and intelligence to their kookiness, even their inventive approach is relatable and pulled-together to create an ensemble. Even the styling of Enningful-- which I don't like at all, for its blandness and cluttered-feel, I can still somewhat appreciate because there's a thoughtfulness to his approach and he creates whole looks. They know how to style clothing to make it look rich and expensive-- not with a high price-tag, but in a sophisticated and stylish sense. With Formachetti, it's just pile on the crap in the most heavy-handed manner-- "One Impression of Francis Bacon" is a perfect example of this: It's just throw every knick-knack on the model-- except clothes. He's the only stylist that actually makes designer clothes look cheap... and gaudy, and campy, and kitsch... It's all so disposable and thoughtless.

09-11-2012
trendsetter

Normal,
Did not feel so good
It ended
Thanks to his efforts
for NICOLA FORMICHETTI

Mr. Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
Vogue Hommes Japan fashion director Nicola Formichetti has just announced the publication’s closure citing the current Fall/Winter 2012-13 issue as its last. He also said the his next venture in publishing will be with his Vogue Hommes Japan team, Shun Watanabe & Junsuke Yamasaki.
Hello bennyboy, please write the source of the picture you posted otherwise I'll have to delete it. It's a part of our Community Rules. Thank you!

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
10-11-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Condé Nast Japan has pulled the plug on Vogue Hommes Japan as it shifts its resources to a launch a Japanese version of GQ Style, a title that already exists in several other countries including the United Kingdom, Russia and China.

The September issue of Vogue Hommes Japan is the last for the title, which was published twice a year. Japan's GQ Style will bow in March as a supplement to GQ Japan's May issue. The plan is to launch GQ Style as a semiannual standalone entity in September. Masafumi Suzuki, the current editor of GQ Japan, will oversee the publication.

Jun Kitada, president of Condé Nast Japan, said the company has had "considerable success" with Vogue Hommes Japan, a magazine it launched in September of 2008.

The edgy magazine's debut issue featured a 20-page spread by Hedi Slimane posing the question, "Who is the Model Man?" Two years ago, it generated attention for running a Nick Knight shoot featuring Lady Gaga as her male alter ego, a Sicilian grease-stained mechanic named Jo Calderone. Nicola Formichetti, Vogue Hommes Japan's fashion director, styled the Gaga spread.

"We intend to make maximum use of the experience gained in producing [Vogue Hommes Japan] by pouring this experience into 'GQ Style' to ensure the ongoing development of a stylish fashion magazine that fits perfectly into the Japanese men's market," Kitada said.
wwd.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
10-11-2012
V.I.P.

Unfortunately, 2008 was not a good year to launch anything, not just financially, it was very 'in the middle', people like Nicola looked so promising and the celebrity/editor craze hadn't become quite the nightmare it is now.. exposure still meant talent for many.

What's concerning is that they're willing to let this magazine go and channel it all into GQ style, GQ really??, its Japanese version might be more creative but GQ's the epitome of douchebag style.. I don't know any guy into actual fashion (and not just gigantic watches and Hermes belts) that cares for GQ.. I think the only straight man I ever saw with one was my uncle, who's a lawyer, like 57 and my aunt would actually purchase it for him.

Condé Nast unfortunately won't have to 'pour' the Vogue Hommes experience anywhere into GQ, just throw some Ermenegildo Zegna, a few moccasins and leather briefcases and you're set, that's how risky business men roll..

Stitch:the Hand

^you know,oddly enough there was a period where GQ used to be a little more interesting or shall i say they included more interesting designers. that late 90's first couple years of the 00's.

yeah i would agree that what i've seen of this magazine i wasn't taken with at all. and formichetti is nowhere the stylist/editor he was at D&C. i really think his original aesthetic has become lost in this abyss of styling for gaga.

12-11-2012
.my prison is your brain.

It's a shame it couldn't be revamped. I definitely don't understand all the "good riddance" comments. There's still a huge gap in the market for good mens fashion magazines, that yes is slowly closing, but I still think there was room for this one to stay. While, on the other hand, a few womens Vogue editions could drop off the planet, and I'd let out a whoop.

13-11-2012
MON
V.I.P.

Good decision to end it right away. There wasn`t any spark in this magazine. It wore out after a few issues.

chaos reigns

Ill admit I chuckled after reading this because I cant stand Formichetti. BUT still they had a good run. Oh well!

fashion elite

Oh this is great news!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cease, hommes, japan, publication, vogue