How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-06-2012
fashion elite

honestly, i dont think any ukrainean model would put ukraine vogue on the map. if vogue ukraine focus more on ukrainean models then they will be going nowhere except being a local magazine like vogue india, vogue taiwan and they are pretty much irrelevant on the international scene.

vogue turkey which launched 2 years ago is doing extremely well bc they put relevant models on the covers and it pays off.

im still rooting for a supermodel to grace the first issue. at this moment i dont see any ukrainean model who has the power to give vogue ukraine the buzz and hype.

18-06-2012
clever ain't wise

Daria W has Ukrainian heritage, but she's sort of fallen off the map really...I liked the idea of Naomi in a Ukrainian national dress

18-06-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by congacon View Post
honestly, i dont think any ukrainean model would put ukraine vogue on the map. if vogue ukraine focus more on ukrainean models then they will be going nowhere except being a local magazine like vogue india, vogue taiwan and they are pretty much irrelevant on the international scene.

vogue turkey which launched 2 years ago is doing extremely well bc they put relevant models on the covers and it pays off.

im still rooting for a supermodel to grace the first issue. at this moment i dont see any ukrainean model who has the power to give vogue ukraine the buzz and hype.
Are they looking to be "on the map" internationally, though? Aside from those like American Vogue, Vogue Paris, etc. I think the majority of magazines are targeted for a local audience anyway. Everyone on tFS loves Vogue Turkey, but does that do much for their international sales?

I don't see why a Ukrainian model wouldn't work. If they're good enough for VP and VI, why aren't they good enough for VU?

fashion insider

^ also we're only talking about an ukrainian model on the first cover, right? not every cover like Vogue India and Taiwan do

Ukraine obviously hasn't as many top models as countries like Netherlands or Brazil, it's just the first issue for being so special that should feature an ukrainian and then get any supermodel they want to keep the magazine relevant..

19-06-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Daria W has Ukrainian heritage, but she's sort of fallen off the map really...I liked the idea of Naomi in a Ukrainian national dress
she definitely has not fallen off the map. she has scored 3 vogue covers in the last 5 months(paris, australia and japan) and her campaigns are as abundance as before. and im pretty sure she wil be on the cover of vogue netherland soon.

people dont talk much about her bc she doesnt go to any public event...not even a single one in the last one-two years.

imagine how much buzz would vogue ukraine get if they put a combination of giselle, daria and kate moss together or lara, daria and natalia.

19-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TianSoFine View Post
AAside from those like American Vogue, Vogue Paris, etc. I think the majority of magazines are targeted for a local audience anyway.
Exactly. Even American Vogue is completely about American standards of fashion, and don't get me started on Vogue Brazil, while the country is mostly known for its models, their fashion scene is immense, relevant for the people designs are created for and the magazine represents that by being 100% devoted to Brazilian talent (designers, photographers, models, etc), rarely bothering to 'flirt' with international readers by putting seasonal 'must-haves' from abroad all the time. Although I personally do wish we'd get more Vogue Turkeys just for the fun of it, I still think Vogue is a fantastic platform to promote fashion in a country where it must be generating some revenue (CN doesn't strike me as fond of suicidal missions) and just work as an incentive to consume more and strengthen local businesses/designers/buyers/etc. That's what Vogue is all about for me and even though I cannot name a Ukrainian designer either, I don't think it's really important if people outside of Ukraine can name one or not as long as people over there can or the launch of this magazine has precisely that purpose. I do hear about Ukrainian Fashion Week every time it takes place though..

As for cover model choices, I definitely think it would help them a lot to start off with Daria, she's close to her Ukrainian origin and I think that's what matters, that's she's not a stranger to the culture and probably cares for a bit of progress there. I can't stand Snejana, I was indifferent to her until the fanaticism here repulsed me and I ended up detesting her face, but she's definitely another viable option for a good start. Same for Alla Kostromicheva.. who'd make such a statement about modern beauty.

fashion elite

actually i have to disagree. editions of vogue like spain, turkey, paris, italia, japan, korea, hellas, us, uk are all use models of the moment for their contents and covers rather than local models.

the only vogue edition which have lots of local flavors are vogue brazil, india, and russia.

19-06-2012
V.I.P.

^ what are you disagreeing with?, I'm not model-centered.. when I talked about American Vogue I was expanding more on what Tina mentioned about magazines targeting national/local readers through their content.. even the designers they advertise, and this happens in every Vogue actually, not just Brazil, India or Russia.. actually I don't think Russia does this at all.

Then I talked about Ukrainian models that could potentially be good for a debut issue. You certainly can't go on local flavor for very long only when there aren't even 12 Ukrainian top models in the international scene right now.

V.I.P.

Comparing the potential use of VUkraine's 'local' models to that of VIndia or VTaiwan is absurd. There are at least a handful of Ukrainian models who have legitimate international careers and who appear in and on other editions of Vogue. And as others have said, nobody is saying that VUkraine should have a Ukrainian model on every cover, but at least on the debut one - and there are viable options there to start the magazine on a good note.

fashion insider

Juju Ivanyuk would make a perfect debut cover

22-06-2012
V.I.P.

Good to know, there's great ukrainian beauties

23-06-2012
V.I.P.

i hope they will give the first cover to either Daria W or Snejana

30-07-2012
V.I.P.

According to the Ukrainian blog jetsetter.ua, the EIC of Vogue Ukriane will be Masha Tsukanova. After a REALLY brief google search, I wasn't able to find much on her, other than that she was the EIC of Commercant Weekend.

Also, she seems kind of edgy, professional and fun (atypical combination of adjectives, I know), so hopefully she'll be able to bring an interesting perspective to VU.

jetsetter.ua

tfs star

^ this lady looks cool and it is very intiguing what she will bring to VU

fashion elite

Thats an interesting choice judging by the photos
I wouldnt mind to see HB Ukraine editor-in-chief in Vogue since she has done a quite good job editing it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, launching, ukraine, vogue