How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-10-2006
Zen
V.I.P.

it's her life...she can do whatever the hell she wants...so be it having a
kid at 16....yippi dooo!

27-10-2006
front row

^^I think most 16 year olds are having sex, its normal.

27-10-2006
Deep Red Bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess
What was she doing having sex in the first place?
The 16 yr old? or the 3 yr old?

27-10-2006
101st monkey airborne

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2610353

Quote:
Puberty Hitting Girls As Young As Four Years Old
Experts Say Environment, Genetics May Be Factor
Oct. 27, 2006

Most parents would agree that their kids always seem to grow up too quickly, but now, puberty is hitting young girls earlier than ever. Nearly half of African-American girls start showing signs of puberty by 8 years old, and some American girls are developing as young as 5, even 4 years old, experts say.

Skyla Jones is an energetic 5-year-old from Georgia who loves to play.
Last year, her mother, Melissa Jones, noticed Skyla was tired all the time, had a body odor, and had blood in her urine.

"I didn't know what was going on," Jones said. "I just went ahead and thought she had a kidney infection. And we went on antibiotics and still it didn't clear it up."

Skyla was eventually sent to Andrew Muir, a pediatric endocrinologist at Georgia Medical College who knew exactly what was going on.

Skyla was menstruating and was experiencing other unmistakable signs of puberty.

"That's what he told me that it was — that she was having a menstrual cycle," Jones said. "I was really freaked out."

Studies have tracked an increasing trend of early sexual development.

By age 8, almost half of African-American girls and 15 percent of Caucasian girls start developing pubic hair or breasts.

"The switch that normally gets turned on for pubertal development gets turned on too early," said Dr. Diane Stafford of Children's Hospital in Boston.

Until recently most doctors didn't expect to see these signs until age 10.

"It can have many causes," Muir said. "Some are related to genetics, environmental factors, and sometimes we just don't know why it happens."

For Skyla, a thyroid problem caused her symptoms.

While she was too young to really understand what was happening, her mother worried that other kids might.

"I was worried kids would make fun of her because kids are cruel," Jones said.

Because Skyla started treatment for her thyroid problem, all her symptoms have gone away.

Muir expects her next experience with puberty to be at a more reasonable age.

Last edited by mellowdrama; 27-10-2006 at 09:18 AM.
27-10-2006
fashion insider

It's all in the milk and meat baby.

27-10-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Blythe~
^^I think most 16 year olds are having sex, its normal.
As a sophomore in high school, it is rampant, but not as rampant as you would think, at least at my school. That's probably because we're all waaay too concerned with our reputations, and gossip spreads like wildfire. One of the smartest, most popular girls at our school had sex with her boyfriend over Spring Break last year and we all knew about it three days after vacation.

Last edited by KhaoticKharma; 27-10-2006 at 07:59 PM.
27-10-2006
V.I.P.

she's 16 he's 19....is there something wrong here??????

28-10-2006
tfs star

^

Why do people keep refusing to notice the fact that it has been posted about a THOUSAND times that the legal age of consent in New Zealand is SIXTEEN!

Seriously, it's been pointed out just about every two posts! You people are not being as smart as you think you are by not reading the thread and hastily/smugly saying "OMGZ BUT THATS LYK ILLIGEL"

Rant over. Even if she doesn't pursue acting, she's already achieved a breathtaking Oscar-nominated performance that will be remembered by people- what actors who have been in the business for 10,20,30 years can't manage to do!

Last edited by ckashie; 28-10-2006 at 03:54 AM.
28-10-2006
V.I.P.

^^ She was amazing in Whale Rider.

fashion insider

It's not legal to have sex at 14 or 15 though which is when she started most likely. Eh..i'm so over this. She wants to potentially have a harder life than needs be, so be it.

28-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Why do people keep refusing to notice the fact that it has been posted about a THOUSAND times that the legal age of consent in New Zealand is SIXTEEN!
Not everything that's written as law is correct. The bill of rights says that people have the right to bear arms, but many want that law abolished.

But satisfaction brought it back
28-10-2006
fashion insider

I had sex too young I think....it ruined it for me, can't do it anymore, I think a lot of people aren't emotionally mature enough at 15 or 16 to understand hw to cope with those sorts of feelings.

30-10-2006
rising star

I'm from New Zealand and it seems to be more of a scandal overseas than it is here. She has been going out with the father for three years and they are both really happy to be having it (but i guess they have to say that). But is it just me that finds it funny her last role was playing the Virgin Mary?

30-10-2006
rising star

and just an add on to your stupid debate over the age of consent the age of consent is 16, but if you the girl is over 14 and the male is under 16 it is not considered stagatory rape. Get over it people, everyone i know had sex before 16, probably not a very good argument to raise right now but we are not a nation of whores, some other people have very prudish views.

30-10-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harumi
Terribly ethnocentric and misinformed remark. Ethnocentric because there are many too many societies with diverging set of values and taboo to say thing as 'we don't whatever'. And misinformed because, in the UK, the legal age to get married without mummy and daddy's permission (and by implication to have sex and babies) is 16. So not only it is acceptable , but it's legal in your own country.Classed is the exact world. These categories are just that and do not reflect individual experience and outlooks. I think the remark was perfectly relevant because it shows that teenagewood, and indeed childhood are modern concepts. Hundred of millions of 16 years old (and much younger) women have done a great job being mothers through the centuries, and most of the time in unbelievably precarious conditions. Many 16 y.o. people are irresponsible because they were brought that way. I nor you know nothing about her values, upbringing, and maturity level. I agree with you here and I'll add that although I am pro-choice, I certainly admire her for not aborting. I am 21 and would be terrified to be a mom. She does have some serious guts.
fair play!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
16yearold, actress, child, pregnant, rider, whale