How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-10-2006
backstage pass

i do agree that 16 is young to be a mother not because i think she is not physically ready or that she will be a bad mother but because she is 16...goodness, it is going to be incredibly difficult to grow and love and think and be yourself and be selfish which every woman and man should experience before they commit to having a child or being in a serious life partnership...its sad for her....

Don't blame me: I'm From Massachusetts

At least It Ain't Bush '08

08-10-2006
fashion insider

^^I won't disagree with you Sienna, I love my friends back home...and I was shocked about Keisha getting pregnant, as I mentioned before my boyfriend saw her in the cinema (he works there) and one of the things he mentioned was how young and normal she looked, in fact he didn't even notice her at first. I think she went to see Pirates of the Caribbean...

08-10-2006
V.I.P.

wow. I was really shocked when I read this. At 20, I could never imagine myself having a kid. I hope that she and her boyfriend are responsible enough to handle everything.

08-10-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma

And if anyone is interested, I believe this is the babydaddy

http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1ku9.jpg

That is her brother, not her boyfriend.

08-10-2006
backstage pass

This story makes me sad and apprehensive but it doesn't change the fact that she's the first and only actress (so far) to make me cry like a baby. She was damn good in Whale Rider.

08-10-2006
fashion insider

She's very young to be having a baby. Having said that, I wish her lots of luck. And I hope she continues to make movies. I loved her in "Whale Rider", and she's got tons of potential to be even bigger.

08-10-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by high maintenance
What is all this mature s**t? She is 16! Since when is that okay? No, we should'nt judge but everyone has an opinion. And money is not eveything, kathy and rick hilton have money and the result:*drum roll* PARIS HILTON
We don't know crap about this girl to say she is mature or not, this is crazy she is a kid, whatever happen to 16 year olds playing jump rope and barbie dolls and holding hands with boys? The youth have gotten out of control, I don't care what business she is in this is not okay
She is not a kid at 16. I am 14, and I do not jump rope and play with dolls. Age does not equal maturity. Everyone is different.

Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelineChic
That is her brother, not her boyfriend.
Oh, thanks for catching that! I was sort of unsure in the first place...

08-10-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

misssakura, since you have met Keisha's boyfriend, can you please tell us what he looks like so we can anticipate the look of the baby!

08-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Brunette
Huh..there goes that idiot's career...
That's rather harsh It must be an ordeal to be expecting at such a young age, it's rather brave of her to go through with it IMO. I know that five years ago at 16 I wouldn't have been ready (lol I'm still not ready at 21! ) but I do wish her the best of luck and health & happiness for her child of course It's also good to see that her mum and family are giving her a great deal of support (at least judging from those articles) I'm sure that would help any teenage mother immensely

fashion elite

Wow, this is going to damage her career, a lot...

16 is too young. Plain and simple, but there have been very good outcomings of women that have gotten pregnant at a young age, but that's not in everyone's case. At that age your minds still developing, your in the 'becoming an adult' phase etc etc. When I was a Junior in high school, three Freshmen I knew became pregnant...I'm now barely 20, and the though of having a child at even this age scares me.

It's great that she has a support system though, cause most people that young and pregnant don't.

09-10-2006
Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieva
She is not a kid at 16. I am 14, and I do not jump rope and play with dolls. Age does not equal maturity. Everyone is different.
Being a kid doesn't equal jumping ropes or playing with dolls. You're a kid if you still can't make your own decisions whether because of lack of maturity or because you're still legally dependent. She is a kid because she's a not a grown, adult woman, period. She's going to miss the best part of her life and her last chance of being absolutely carefree. One of the things that I realised as I came of age is that the best time to have babies - if I ever decide to have them - is when I'm in my thirties. Of course it only works for me and for those who believe that you have to settle down before growing a family. It's not a matter of right or wrong but of doing things at the "right time" - that being a personal concept. I personally believe that it's stupid to have a kid at such young age, but still I wish her luck - not only at raising a kid but also at successfully building a family.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma
misssakura, since you have met Keisha's boyfriend, can you please tell us what he looks like so we can anticipate the look of the baby!
I haven't...met him She was at the cinema with a female friend...

09-10-2006
trendsetter

There is an interesting song on one of Lauryn Hills album's - The miseductaion album - about the comments that she received when she decided to have her son. There is also a fantastic song about her love for him.

Each person is individual and unique. I am 35 and have a three month old - my first. It is hard but what is hard for me may not be for her. The beauty of individuality.

Regarding the general comments that miss sakura has made about Maori's, about people (women) in NZ could perhaps go some way to reflecting her own attitudes and the people that she has mixed with while there. Personally I know a female Maori Rhodes scholar, numerous artists, lawyers, accountants - basically the whole spectrum of employment.

Quote:
I'm not racist but..all maori women seem to get knocked up really young. REALLY young. 15, 16, 17 they're churning out children and then claiming benefits from the government because they're "impovrished".
.?

Often prefacing a comment with "I'm not racist..." leaves the speaker to believe they have prefaced their remark with an excuse that allows them to say whatever. It doesn't. Racism (and gross generalisations) are just that. Gross.

09-10-2006
fashion insider

It's not 'whatever' and I'm not a racist (although I am rather tired of mindless political correctness), but the statistics are REALLY not favourable, not to mention the fact that every day I just see these young girls walking around with 2,3 children. I am NOT racist but it IS a fact that a LOT of maori women have children very young. I said 'all' but that's more of a typo, I merely mean that there are a lot of these cases, more so than a lot of other people living here. I hate to be mean it's just I never really see very young european or asian women walking around at midday on weekdays with small children and the government has admitted it has a problem with single maori mothers claiming benefits, in fact it's stopping the benefits next year I believe.

It is going to inevitably be a generalisation because it's the reality.

It's more a paranoia of political correctness that people feel they need to preface their statements.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
16yearold, actress, child, pregnant, rider, whale