How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
although I am rather tired of mindless political correctness
OH MY GOODNESS, I am SO WITH YOU on that.

But satisfaction brought it back

09-10-2006
trendsetter

I agree with the excess of PC behaviour that we have in life. NZ is exceptionally concerned about being seen to be PC. But.. What I am getting as is not just PC rhetoric. From the UNHCR HUMAN RIGHTS OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLE IN NEW ZEALAND

Institutionalised racism and colonialism does not just disappear overnight (as is being witnessed in Sth Africa). There needs to be on going work done towards changing attitudes and generalisations. I would also question if all the women you see MissSakura with babies are all Maori or could there be other Polynesian groups represented?

Considering Auckland (refering to your profile) is the capital of Polynesia I think if you bothered to talk with some of these women you may find out not only that they are Tongan/Samoan/Maori etc you may also find out much much more that allows you to view them as members of society and not 'impoverished' people taking hand outs from the government.

Besides which I hadnt realised that Keisha was intending to ask for government support.....

Last edited by Alliecat; 09-10-2006 at 01:44 AM.
09-10-2006
fashion insider

Yay. BITCHFIGHT! I'm so happyyy...

I'm really too tired. You know what i'm not racist and I realise that not all these women are maori. I get very uppity when pregnancy is involved and probably should step back just because I hate population growth and therefore i'm not subjective at all.

But see it from my point of view, if i'm walking around unemployed and around me there are women around town with kids then they're probably not working either, and maori women are entitled to benefit so why not take it?

Keisha most likely won't be taking benefit, just continuing a tradition of young unmarried mothers, but she's lucky to have the support in her family, not every woman is so lucky. I just hope for her sake the boyfriend sticks around.

And i'm talking incoherently in circles, time for me to go and finish working before I pass out for good : P

Blablabla just forget I said anything. I know you want to feel as if you have the upper hand as an example of moral righteousness. Feel free. I'm sure you're a much better person than me anyway.

09-10-2006
V.I.P.

It's her life and maybe she wants to have a child and it wasn't a mistake, it might be a little controversial in the US though... but she just might be a good mother.

V.I.P.

That, my friends, is called statutory rape

09-10-2006
front row

I heard about this from a friend .. it's disappointing, she was great in "Whale Rider" and now her image is shattered for the most part. Unfortunate for her as well, she'll miss out on a lot.

Last edited by laneyrachel; 09-10-2006 at 11:48 AM.
09-10-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulyss
That, my friends, is called statutory rape
Actually, no. The age of consent is 16 in NZ, as kissmesweet said.

09-10-2006
fashion insider

i hope her and her baby are happy and healthy and that they have an amazing life together xx

Amour Comme Hiver

Well when push comes to shove, she's preggers and is keeping her baby, no matter what people say or think. And that is an honorable thing to do.

09-10-2006
backstage pass

^^ its an honorable thing to keep your baby? is it dishonorable, then, to decide not to keep your child? i dont think honor has anything to do with a decision to keep your child or not.

Don't blame me: I'm From Massachusetts

At least It Ain't Bush '08
09-10-2006
fashion insider

...well, at least they have the financial abilities...let`s hope money can buy happieness for that child...

09-10-2006
trendsetter

Though I don't condone getting pregnant at 16, nor am I saying that she is mature enough to handle it (I'm a fairly mature 16 year old myself, and I'm just growing up myself. I could never handle helping another living human to growup while I'm just doing it myself, or know of anyone my age who could do so), I like the fact that she's taking responsibility for being pregnant and going to raise the child. I don't want to make this into an abortion debate, but I'm sick of people being against abortion and then looking down their noses at a teenager who is taking care of their child. That teenager had sex, and someone might not condone that, but respect the fact that they've chosen to have the child.

backstage pass

^ what a lovely honest statment i completely agree

Last edited by Pencey; 09-10-2006 at 03:22 PM.
09-10-2006
front row

wow how unexpected! i could have never handled a baby at age 16. Major kudos to people who can, i know that's got to be extremely tough.

09-10-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpea
^^ its an honorable thing to keep your baby? is it dishonorable, then, to decide not to keep your child? i dont think honor has anything to do with a decision to keep your child or not.
I merely think that it is honorable for her to face her problems head on, to release her statement. It would be equally honorable for her to choose one of the other options- but it is certainly a testament to her own strength and determination to choose to raise a human being. I doubt that I would choose that option, and I'm almost sixteen myself.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
16yearold, actress, child, pregnant, rider, whale