How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-10-2006
fashion insider

When I was 16 I thought I was pretty mature for my age....looking back though, I realize that I wasn't as mature as I thought. I still had a lot of growing to do.

She's a pretty successful actress so she can afford (financially) to take care of a baby at the age of 16. But I think that people have this pre-conceived notion that it's a huge no-no because the majority of 16 year-olds can't afford to take care of babies, both financially and emotionally.

Oh well, have fun kiddo

09-10-2006
Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by VainJane
When I was 16 I thought I was pretty mature for my age....looking back though, I realize that I wasn't as mature as I thought. I still had a lot of growing to do.

She's a pretty successful actress so she can afford (financially) to take care of a baby at the age of 16. But I think that people have this pre-conceived notion that it's a huge no-no because the majority of 16 year-olds can't afford to take care of babies, both financially and emotionally.

Oh well, have fun kiddo
That's why a 16 year old is still a kid. At that age people think they are really smart and mature but once they grow up they realise that life is nothing like they used to think it would be - it is harder and way more complex than they can fathom at such young age.

V.I.P.

Someone told me that it's hard to give birth at a young age because your body isn't as developed.

I am not sure about this, does anyone know anything that can back that up?

tfs star

I'm 17 now and last year I sure as well wasn't ready to have a kid. I don't think I'll ever be ready for many more years. I guess it depends from person to person. I hope everything turns out well for her.

10-10-2006
tfs star

I don't think anyone here can judge as she is Maori (native New Zealander) and their culture is very different. In Maori culture, 16 is not considered particularly young to have children.

Last edited by ckashie; 10-10-2006 at 06:46 AM.
10-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemova
That's why a 16 year old is still a kid. At that age people think they are really smart and mature but once they grow up they realise that life is nothing like they used to think it would be - it is harder and way more complex than they can fathom at such young age.
Now I think your being quite rough. I'm fifteen, and I don't think I'm smart. The opposite. I'm ashamed of my age. While I am at times maybe a little bit more mature than some of my peers (ie my world does not revolve around makeup-boys-The OC-drinking, I do not enjoy dumb giggling...), I do think I have a lot to learn.

I lived three weeks on my own abroad last summer. I'm not saying it was easy, but the way it was harder was more "physical"; bills, place to stay for a night, eating, money...not that much "mental". Still, it brought freedom, which was better than the "teen life".

But if my life is going to be even harder than it is now when I'm adult, then thank you very much but I'd rather shoot myself. I don't think my life can be anymore complex than it is right now (I cannot trust my mind, I'm pondering whether to kill myself or not). Maybe even this is only teen-angst, but it is complex as hell.

Have to say, that being a 20-something does not mean you're mature at all. Judging from the people that age around me, there's nothing else in their life except booze and sex, sometimes studying.

Last edited by Whitelinen; 10-10-2006 at 07:32 AM.
10-10-2006
Deep Red Bells

^ You're 15!!?!! I'm shocked.

10-10-2006
V.I.P.

Really? I thought I sound like such a teenybopper. I hope your "image" about me isn't overly negative now. Usually older people don't like people of my age.

Last edited by Whitelinen; 10-10-2006 at 08:40 AM.
10-10-2006
Deep Red Bells

^ Not at all.

10-10-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckashie
I don't think anyone here can judge as she is Maori (native New Zealander) and their culture is very different. In Maori culture, 16 is not considered particularly young to have children.
I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Thank you.
It's about time that someone posted something relatively intelligent.

The Maori culture is not similar to the Western culture where success is judged by education, money and employment. They put far more emphasis on family to build and maintaining their community. To them, having large families and carrying on tradition within their families is equal to success.

Last edited by CelineChic; 10-10-2006 at 10:01 AM.
10-10-2006
Deep Red Bells

^ I was thinking the same....
and in alot of situations like that children are raised not just by the parents but by the family as a whole.

10-10-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
Now I think your being quite rough. I'm fifteen, and I don't think I'm smart. The opposite. I'm ashamed of my age. While I am at times maybe a little bit more mature than some of my peers (ie my world does not revolve around makeup-boys-The OC-drinking, I do not enjoy dumb giggling...), I do think I have a lot to learn.

I lived three weeks on my own abroad last summer. I'm not saying it was easy, but the way it was harder was more "physical"; bills, place to stay for a night, eating, money...not that much "mental". Still, it brought freedom, which was better than the "teen life".

But if my life is going to be even harder than it is now when I'm adult, then thank you very much but I'd rather shoot myself. I don't think my life can be anymore complex than it is right now (I cannot trust my mind, I'm pondering whether to kill myself or not). Maybe even this is only teen-angst, but it is complex as hell.

Have to say, that being a 20-something does not mean you're mature at all. Judging from the people that age around me, there's nothing else in their life except booze and sex, sometimes studying.
WhiteLinen I always thought you were alot older!! You posts are so mature. There is no need to be ashamed about you age as the cliche goes "age is nothing but a number"

RE the topic subject some teen mothers look after their children far better then women in their thirties. As long as she cares and loved the baby and can look after him/her that is all that matters.

10-10-2006
Deep Red Bells

^See WhiteLinen...you are wise beyond your years.:p

10-10-2006
backstage pass

WhiteLinen you are very mature for your age but I have to agree with the previous poster. I don't feel that too many 16 year olds know what the real world is like, unless of course they are living on their own. It is very different when you have to deal with how you and your family is going to eat from week to week, how you are going to pay uncalculated expsenses that arise, how you will pay for everything a child may need, doctor bills, dental bills, mortgage, lights, water, gas and stuff like that. Not too many young women at the age of 16 has experienced all this. I know myself, I just KNEW at 16 that I could handle myself and knew what the real world was like. It took a few years but when it slapped me in the face it really slapped me in the face and you learn real quick that you wish you could go back and fail every grade in school twice just so you could stay there that much longer and not have to enter the real world. LOL

As long as this girl is a good mother, then more power to her. There are so many crappy moms out there that have children when they are young like this and then their moms have to raise it for them, which is really sad.

10-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynMonroe
WhiteLinen you are very mature for your age but I have to agree with the previous poster. I don't feel that too many 16 year olds know what the real world is like, unless of course they are living on their own. It is very different when you have to deal with how you and your family is going to eat from week to week, how you are going to pay uncalculated expsenses that arise, how you will pay for everything a child may need, doctor bills, dental bills, mortgage, lights, water, gas and stuff like that. Not too many young women at the age of 16 has experienced all this. I know myself, I just KNEW at 16 that I could handle myself and knew what the real world was like. It took a few years but when it slapped me in the face it really slapped me in the face and you learn real quick that you wish you could go back and fail every grade in school twice just so you could stay there that much longer and not have to enter the real world. LOL

As long as this girl is a good mother, then more power to her. There are so many crappy moms out there that have children when they are young like this and then their moms have to raise it for them, which is really sad.
No, no, I wasn't meaning that. I do agree that it is harder to live by your own etc, especially if you're still studying. It is, you have to take a lot of responsibility and it's very stressing. But mentally (not sure if I'm using the right word, English is not my first language), I feel teen age is hell. I do have problems that are not normal, but if it's getting worse on the "mental" side too when you're an adult, then I don't get the point of living to get there. I don't see a point in living right now, so I do think I do have some kind of feeling about how hard life can be, maybe not in the actual "living" side (economy etc) but otherwise. It's not fairytales and pink dresses in my life, I've been pretty broken. I'm not saying I know all, since I definetily do not know, and there is definetily lots of growing to do before I'm "big" but it's not that innocent some think. Maybe your youth was that innocent.
Is adult life worse in the "mental side" too? I'd really like to know.

Hah, I sound like some emo!

I'm not commenting on the teen mother issue though. I don't have an well-formed opinion about that. But if I'd get pregnant at this age or in couple months time when I'm going to be 16, I'd do an abortion and not even think about it. There is no way I could raise a child at this age. But I'm only speaking about myself here.

And thanks for the sweet comments, I'll try to remember them

Last edited by Whitelinen; 10-10-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
16yearold, actress, child, pregnant, rider, whale