How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / Rumor has it...
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-12-2012
front row

Zac Posen is replacing Michael Kors as a judge on Project Runway
Quote:
Project Runway judging panel gets a makeover as fashion darling Zac Posen replaces design heavyweight Michael Kors

Zac Posen is in on Project Runway - he'll be the new featured judge, filling the chair Michael Kors sat in for the show's first 10 seasons.

'This was an amazing opportunity,' Posen said. 'I hope I'm here to give a new perspective to the designers.'

Kors isn't 'out' - as host Heidi Klum likes to say to the fashion-design contestants who get the boot on the granddaddy of fashion reality TV shows. His schedule didn't allow a commitment, but he will come back as a guest judge for the season finale, according to a statement for Lifetime TV.

Posen said he learned from Kors. 'When I was a guest judge, I saw he was always a generous, warm mentor.'

Posen's best skill to offer the contestants is his sharp eye, he said. Craft and construction are among his passions, he explained, so nothing gets past him there.

It's Klum's role in the new line-up to bring the voice of the woman who might be the eventual customer. Nina Garcia, the fashion director at Marie Claire, has her editorial eye, and Posen analyzes the specifics of the design, he said.

Posen, however, also sounded a little jealous of Tim Gunn, who has the part of trusted adviser.

'I wanted to be behind the scenes with Tim... I was seeing the clothes on the runway, but Tim had all the background interaction.'

The silver lining? Posen said he'll appreciate a little more what the stylists, editors and retailers are looking for as they sit in the front row for his own catwalk shows, which last season drew much attention for a model line-up that included Naomi Campbell, Coco Rocha and Karolina Kurkova - a threesome getting their own TV reality show this winter called 'The Face' on the Oxygen network.

Another twist to the revamped 'Project Runway,' in which the winner gets $100,000 to start their own brand, is that the contestants compete as teams instead of individuals.

'You can imagine the designers' reactions when we first told them,' Klum, an executive producer, said, 'but it resulted in some really interesting conflicts and partnerships.

'And that is how designers work in the real world - they do have to work on teams and manage teams - you get to understand their personalities more.'

Posen said he aims to be a collaborative player and appreciates what everyone else at his company does, although he is the starting and stopping point of each look that bears his label.

He'll be at the studio solo next week over the holidays, sketching and draping fabric with the music 'thumping': It's one of the most wonderful times of the year, he said.

The Project Runway season starts Jan. 24.
dailymail.co.uk

18-12-2012
V.I.P.

At last someone falls into the right place.

V.I.P.

I always felt Michael Kors was out of place on Project Runway. He was the only real heavyweight in fashion on the judge's panel.

Zac Posen on the other hand fits quite well on this show (see mediocre). It might help revive his career, after all.

18-12-2012
Stitch:the Hand

not to mention because the show is more heavily influenced by celebrity and celebrities themselves,zac is perfect. i still won't watch though. i could never get past the smugness of these people.

18-12-2012
V.I.P.

Downgrade. Kors brought some credibility to the show, with him gone, the show moves even further away from fashion. Not that it was that much fashion to begin with.

fashion insider

^ More than credibility, Michael has a great personality. I don't know what kind of person Zac is but the show needs drama more than just talent to be interesting imo.

18-12-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Yeah, I was thinking personality too ... I don't watch TV, but I guess y'all will be finding out if he has one How was he as a guest judge?

19-12-2012
Stitch:the Hand

i dunno from what i've seen and heard from zac,he tends to come across as a bit gregarious and rather pompous which seems to work on this show. so he may well fit right in since he will be given more limelight....because he loves the limelight. as for credibility,if that's what you're after i suggest not watching project runway and i am no fan of posen in the slightest,but i don't see what the difference is really apart from their ages,experience and style. both are very popular names....zac's gowns are sought after amongst the hollywood set....and both are as overrated as they come.

19-12-2012
Power to the 99%

^ No, there is definitely a higher level of overratedness than Michael Kors ... I've mentioned before that he has a great fit process. I once had a tailored double-breasted wool jacket of his that fit so well it felt like wearing pajamas but looked fabulous. Many designers believe that a woman's body should fit their ideal and clothes, not the other way around. (Martin Grant is a great example of this.) I find this attitude incredibly arrogant and verging on misogynistic, but of course it's common in the fashion world. Michael Kors has a consistent vision and an excellent process, and that's more than a lot of designers--and a lot of people--can say.

19-12-2012
fashion elite

I love looking at Zac Posen's beautiful face and I was so tired of Michael Kors just trying to get bitchy soundbites

20-12-2012
rising star

His clothes are as boring to me designwise as Michael Kors´ so i think he will fit right in.
Poject runway is a shameshow of mine,I like watching it for some reason maybe because the contestants work and have some real skills unlike in alot of the other reality shows... allthough I mostly find the whole lot ridiculous, contestants and especially the judges.

20-12-2012
V.I.P.

He guest judged once. It was not memorable.

20-12-2012
fashion elite

Somehow Im not surprised

20-12-2012
flaunt the imperfection..

i hate zac posen......

he's not in...
he's out!...

*project runway has run its course...imho...

Last edited by softgrey; 20-12-2012 at 06:10 PM.
20-12-2012
fashion elite

I agree. Both the show and Posen had their peak moments already, and it's just time for them to go.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
judge, kors, michael, posen, project, replacing, runway, zac