How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-02-2006
front row

Alexandra Shulman - Editor-in-Chief, UK Vogue
Does this woman have the credentials to still be Editor of UK Vogue?

Last edited by ChrissyM; 19-05-2007 at 12:08 PM. Reason: please see tfs guidelines regarding credits

02-04-2006
V.I.P.

She isnt a great dresser but she is doing a good job at Vogue and that is all that matters!

05-04-2006
V.I.P.

^They do have great issues every once in a while, though sometimes they are too 'trendy'.

17-04-2006
The future is stupid

Alexandra Shulman, editor, British Vogue

Londoner Alexandra Shulman has been at the helm of British Vogue since 1992, and in her 14 years as the grand-dame of the British fashion scene has brought out some highly memorable Vogue covers. Remember the gold December 2000 cover with the Kate Moss silhouette, now a collector's item? Or the nude Robbie Williams/Gisele cover?

Shulman, the daughter of theatre critic Milton Shulman and writer Drusilla Beyfus, went to the University of Sussex before starting her career at Tatler in 1982. Five years later she moved to the Sunday Telegraph and then onto Vogue as features editor in 1988. She became a woman in a man's world as editor GQ in 1990 before slipping behind the editor's desk at Vogue. Since taking the helm, Schulman has shown that she's in touch with the times. Schulman's determination to include high-street fashion in the magazine (after all, Kate Moss, Victoria Beckham and Kylie were all rummaging around in TopShop) created waves amongst Vogue stalwarts, who thought the magazine was dumbing down. But it's been a shrewd move – Vogue now sells over 200,000 copies per month, with a readership at well over 1 million.

Schulman, a determined but unshowy editor, doesn't have the love her/hate her presence of Anna Wintour. But she has the respect of her colleagues, who in 2004 voted her Editor's Editor of the Year. This year she was awarded an OBE for services to the magazine industry.

06-10-2006
front row

SHe's doing a great job at British Vogue??....Based on what???!!

07-10-2006
V.I.P.

I'm now convinced she should be fired ASAP. She's just licking Wintour's a**. British Vogue should be ashamed of itself.

front row

Alexandra Shulman - Editor of British Vogue
It will be repeated tis evening 7:30pm, 11:30pm, 2:30am all Eastern Time

CLICK ON THE LINK FOR LOCAL PROGRAM TIME
http://www.bbcworld.com/Pages/Schedules.aspx

Tuesday 22nd May:

The global fashion industry is enormous and growing. It’s worth hundreds of billions of dollars a year and employs millions of people… but the industry is also highly controversial.

The aggressive competitiveness and disposable nature of fashion has put ethical issues such as the health of models and the use of child labour under scrutiny as well as the environmental issue of sustainability.

Stephen Sackur asks Alexandra Shulman whether the fashion industry needs a make-over.

22-05-2007
front row

Alexandra Shulman is the editor of British Vogue.....England's Anna Wintour.

Last edited by I_bend_for_denim; 22-05-2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: an oopsy
23-05-2007
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_bend_for_denim View Post
Alexandra Shulman is the editor of British Vogue.....England's Anna Wintour.
please remember to do a search before starting a new thread...

merged with existing alexandra shulman thread...

23-05-2007
yes

you can also watch the interview online at bbc.co.uk

i think that Alexandra is infact doing a good job at British Vogue, sales are constant, the content is of a high quality and they like to put models on the cover and need not to put celebrities each month to sell copies.
i admit that she doesnt dress as fierce as anna wintour but u know what, its not the end of the world, its not in her job description per-se

the interview was interesting, i think that the interviewer made some good and very bad points and it showed him in a very ignorant way but i think alexandra could have stood her ground and explained herself a bit better

i wonder if she was given the questions in advance

23-05-2007
girl who fell to earth

^^you make a good point acid...
i actually prefer british vogue to american vogue..
cancelled my american vogue subscription a while ago, but purchased british vogue religiously when i lived in London

you don't have to dress like a diva to edit a good magazine

24-05-2007
rising star

I like my editors to be divas with their clothes!!! lol But she seems to be a good editor even though she isn't the best dresser. I think UK Vogue is better quality to US vogue most of the time.

25-05-2007
Press escape to continue.

I think she has quite a good head on her shoulders, despite what she may seem to be on the outside. Over the loss of Isabella Blow, Ms. Schulman said, "In the near alchemical world of fashion, influential characters often don't really have job descriptions but, by their actions, keep that world vibrant and exciting. Isabella was just such a person."

nzherald.co.nz

Last edited by SomethingElse; 25-05-2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typo. sorry!
25-05-2007
V.I.P.

Ultimatly, she is there for her work and she's very, very good at what she does and deserves kudos for that. She must have a rich command of the English language, be intelligent, have a good vision of where she wants to take the magazine and be a superb leader, manager and business woman.

It may be dissappointing to some that she does not seem to understand how to dress herself in flattering and stylish clothes ... but I don't think she should be judged on that criteria. She's a magazine editor ... not a fashion icon. MHO

30-05-2007
don't look down

Yes, I don't want a magazine editor to play at being a model - I'd rather an editor was a well-educated person who can put fashion in some sort of context where I learn something about it.

Besides, ***Edited*** it would be downright stupid for a woman of her age to be wasting her time **edited** to comply with passing fads. Let the twentysomething fashion assistants and interns wear **edited*** , Alexandra knows she's got bigger things on her mind.

And as I've said elsewhere on fashionspot, she takes the time to personally reply to readers' letters, a gesture which means much more to me than what clothes she puts on in the morning.

Last edited by BetteT; 05-03-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: REmoving weight talk.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexandra, editorinchief, shulman, uk, vogue