How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-03-2004
flaunt the imperfection

André Leon Talley -Contributing Editor, US Vogue & Editor, Numero Russia
Edited ... to add current information for Behind the Lens. Original post starts his personal style thead in The Fashion PAck, here: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f13...ey-188741.html

André Leon Talley (born October 16, 1949) is the former American editor-at-large for Vogue magazine, listed as Contributing Editor in the April 2010 masthead.
Talley has been a front-row regular at fashion shows in New York, Paris, London and Milan for more than 25 years.[1] He uses his influence to promote young fashion designers and mentors young talent in other fields.

His most famous pairings of late have been with designers Tracy Reese, Rachel Roy, and singer/actress Jennifer Hudson. He is known as a very close friend of pop diva Mariah Carey, fashion designer Kimora Lee Simmons, and tennis star Venus Williams.

In 2007, he was ranked 45th in Out magazine's "50 Most Powerful Gay Men and Women in America".[2] Talley has an honorary Doctorate of Humanities from Savannah College of Art and Design, where he serves as a member of the Board of Trustees. As of March 2010, Talley was serving on the judging panel for America's Next Top Model (from Cycle 14 to Cycle 17).[3]

Biography:

Talley was born in the African American community of Hayti, Durham, North Carolina, as the son of Alma Ruth Davis and William C. Talley. His parents left him with his grandmother, Bennie Davis, who raised him and, he claims, gave him an "understanding of luxury."[4]

After graduating from North Carolina Central University, Talley received his master's degree in French from Brown University. While at Brown, Talley befriended students from the nearby Rhode Island School of Design and often went on weekend trips to New York City. He is associated with former American Vogue editor-in-chief and Costume Institute consultant, Diana Vreeland. His first job was as an assistant for Andy Warhol for $50 a week.

In 2008, Talley advised the future First Family on fashion, and introduced Michelle Obama to Jason Wu, from whom she bought several dresses including her inaugural gown.[5]

He had a cameo appearance in the 2008 movie Sex and the City as a Vogue executive. He also appears in the movie-documentary about the Italian couturier Valentino Garavani, Valentino: The Last Emperor and in the documentary The September Issue. In October 2011, the André Leon Talley Gallery opened in the new Savannah College of Art and Design Museum of Art. He also made a cameo in Mariah Carey's "Say something" video.

Wikipedia

Last edited by BetteT; 14-09-2012 at 12:50 PM.

31-01-2005
rising star

His commentaries are very entertaining on full frontal fashion.

V.I.P.

ALT is in a class all by himself. I like him.

31-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonte1221
where's this show on?

31-01-2005
Stitch:the Hand

I find him rather grotesque,really.

31-01-2005
tfs star

alt
he is really a larger than life personality.
at his best he is an extremely talented fashion journalist with a great eye.
because of his fame & experience within the business he has as much access as any fashion writer.
at times his gigantic ego & diva-like side can overwhelm his critical faculties.
the notion of unbiased journalism or dispassionate criticism is not something that ALT has ever attempted or been capable of.
at his best he has amazing access & friendships with most of the top level people in the industry. I thought his KL/Chanel japan piece in feb vogue was descriptive & amusing.
I thought his january vogue pieces hyping vera wang, bergdorfs & CH's book were disgusting, pure PR mush all about his ***-kissing vera, BG & herrera, solely for their benefit & his obeisance to them.
his lanvin/elbaz tidbit in january was better and more deserving of a real story than kissing up to vera & herrera again. he also has fawned over zac posen & p diddy so much its disgusting like hes writing them a personal valentine to get into their pants. yuck.
so in sum you can see why ALT is as lengendary & also legendarily annoying a person as the bsuiness holds. I appereciate much about his career & tastes while at the same time being revolted at his ***-kissing & occasional blindness to critical or unbiased journalistic deamnds.
the one time I met him he was incredibly affected, acting like a 18th century nobleman or Louis the 14th. sometimes I think he dresses well, other times, like in his fur jumpsuit pajamas or exaggerated militaristic garb [zac posen also guilty of this] he appears totally ridiculous like a parody of a 350 lb. vogue journalist with a bigger closet than a brain.
some military dress looks cool, but the full russian or spanish civil war regalia looks stupid. alt rarely fears treading that fine sartorial divide. for this many love him, and others revile him.

09-06-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

The show sounds fabulous.

I've never met the man - despite his eccentricities he sounds a little boring. Vera Wang, Karl Lagerfeld, Bergdorfs - sounds very much like boring, conservative fashion.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonte1221
Agreed. He's always so over the top and poor Judy Licht can never get a word in.

02-01-2006
windowshopping

Didn't he dress Mariah too?? I guess his advice didn't last long!

07-01-2006
V.I.P.

he indeed gave Mariah Carey fashion advice. The poor child really needed it, but as we all know it didn't work out, since Mariah still dresses like a prostitute.

25-02-2006
front row

does anyone have any bio on him? i heard he was mentored by diana vreeland, but i want to know more about his climbing up the fashion ladder

02-03-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic'sWife
I dont know much about him... I just saw him on a BET show with Mariah Carey...
he sucks, I remember that Mariah Carey tv show, he was saying that Mariah is the most stylish women of the moment, very 40's style star, hahaha, ain't that ridiculous?

03-10-2006
tailored

fashiontelevision.com has a podcast about him that i downloaded...
it's really interesting...

The future is stupid

^Oooh Thanks for the info...I'll download it tonight...

03-10-2006
fashion icon

He's gross, but once you get used to it, he's kind of ok.
I'd kill to have his job so not matter how vulgar he is to me, i kind of admire him.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
andre, contributing, editor, leon, numero, russia, talley, vogue