How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-06-2007
earthbound

Thanks for posting the Milla Jovovich set, SomethingElse!
All that androgyny... I'd have a serious crush on her if she were a boy (with a little less feminine features).

26-08-2007
far from home...

nytimes
Quote:
August 26, 2007
The Remix
Capturing Bob: A Family Affair

Tony Cenicola/The New York Times

By ALEX HAWGOOD

The only person in fashion more wonderfully deranged than the outlaw photographer Terry Richardson was, not surprisingly, his father. Throughout the 1960s and ’70s, Bob Richardson’s highly charged blackand-white images brought somber emotion to the glossy but sometimes sterile world of fashion. Much of Richardson’s oeuvre was destroyed during his erratic career, which was marked by mental illness and homelessness. The first comprehensive overview of his work is being published this fall, including his unfinished autobiography. Edited by his son, “Bob Richardson” (Grafiche Damiani) features a wide range of his best work, like his daring assignments for Harper’s Bazaar — one infamous piece featured the model Donna Mitchel in tears — and early portraits of Anjelica Huston, then his girlfriend. “I am not ashamed of anything,” he said in 2002, three years before his death at the age of 77. “I have no secrets. I am free.”

19-09-2007
earthbound

Detour Magazine April 2000
"Well Dunst"
Photographed by Bob Richardson

my scans

28-12-2007
tfs star

Bob Richardson-Photographer
Anyone have any links to his work? I've heard alot about it, how it was a contrast to the prim fashion shoots of the 60's and 70's. I know there was a book put out recently about him, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

29-12-2007
?

I am eager to see more of his work too...
Someone somewhere posted scans from his book and I found them very intriguing.

slow death

the book is actually pretty good, imo.

nytimes

damianieditore.com

ilovecatparty.blogspot.com

29-12-2007
tfs star

I love them.I'm going the make the 5th one my avatar.

29-12-2007
fashion elite

wow, his work is beautiful! i'd never heard of him before though..

29-12-2007
V.I.P.

***** Merged with Existing thread ****

19-03-2008
earthbound

These photos of Anjelica Huston by Bob Richardson were published in Another Mag S/S 2008.

This picture didn't credit the photographer but it looks a bit like Bob's...
I could be wrong.

anothermag.com

A few paragraphs on Bob Richardson in her article...

Quote:
by Tim Blanks

After her parents split, Huston remained in London with her mother, and the schism with her father was amplified when Soma died in a car crash in 1969, and she fled to New York. "Before I knew it, I'd taken up with a 42-year-old man, who was not only a good deal older than I was, but also had tremendous mental problems, beyond anything I'd had experience of." That man was the photographer Bob Richardson and, instead of the safe harbour she was seeking, Huston found herself, at 18, the carer. "I didn't know the ashtrays were talking to him at the time, but he was tremendously schizophrenic and there would be days when he would wake up and the world was worthless and everything in it, and I would think it was my fault, the way that one does when one is being blamed for everything."

Richardson had been back from Paris for a year, opened a studio in New York and was in the process of leaving his wife when he met Huston. (She doesn't believe she caused the split. At least, Bob never said anything like that to her.) He'd also come under the care of a doctor named Max Jacobson, the Dr Feelgood whose shots of methamphetamine and vitamins kept Manhattan's beau monde humming. "I remember the first time we met, it was my first sitting with Bob, for Harper's Bazaar. He picked me up in one of those little Mini cars with his big poodle in the back and we raced off to Jones Beach, where he sort of hypnotised me. He had me crying and reaching for the sun. It was very powerful. I followed his directions very precisely; he was intrigued because I was malleable, and he liked working with me."

Getting his models to cry was something of a Richardson signature. It was a way to drag those cool, perfect beauties off their pedestals and make them fragile, emotional flesh and blood. "He created stories around these women and of course the stories were always him," says Huston. "The photographs were always about him." Anyone curious about those stories should look at the recent definitive monograph of Richardson's collected work, overseen by his son Terry. There is Donna Mitchell, weeping on the rocks in Greece (the image that sparked a revolution in fashion photography). And, of course, there's a lot of Huston, belying her years, breathtakingly beautiful but also haunted and stretched to the limit. She still finds them painful to look at.

But what a photographer! And, in Huston, Richardson found an ideal vehicle. "The pictures that I thought were particularly brilliant were the ones where he was sent off on his own without an art director or editor looking over his shoulder, and he had that freedom," she says. "Often they were really radical, the more radical the better. We did an Irish series for French Vogue in the 1970s that had me lying in the road with blood pouring out of my mouth and a rifle in my hand. We did Visconti's The Damned for Italian Vogue, out there in the train station in Rome with all these older Italian women looking like they wanted to stone us and screaming 'Puta!' at me. It was very dangerous for the time, but it was fun, like doing little plays."

The relationship lasted four years, and inevitably, while there were dark, desperate and helpless days, there were plenty of good times too. Huston was reminded of this when she ran into make-up artist Serge Lutens six years ago, just before Richardson died. "I remarked on what a desperately sad time it was, what a sad man Bob was. 'I never thought it was such a sad time,' said Lutens. 'We did beautiful work.'"

19-11-2008
rising star

Bob Richardson 2.jpg

Google images

23-03-2009
rising star

Such an amazing photographer, I really want his autobiography too! Here's some quotes from it via http://www.luxirare.com/2009/01/in-w...amers-and.html

Quote:
  • One morning in the early 50s I woke up in the psycho ward at Bellevue Hospital. My stomach had been pumped of big amounts of barbiturates. I had only vague a memory of swallowing them. This was the first of four suicide attempts. It takes courage to live, and courage to die. I was in limbo.
  • The nuns told us that if we were good we would go to heaven. If we were bad we would burn in hell—having lived for a year on every street in hell, the nuns were wrong—fire is so fast, suffering can last a lifetime. The way to teach children is to tell them the truth period. Why do nuns want to live with other women and not with men? Why don't they want their own children, one wonders—what are their secrets? Everyone has secrets.
  • Had to meet Charles Revson at Revlon—after looking at my photographs he said, I'm told you're a genius but I don't see it. I replied, Get your eyes examined –slammed the door behind me. Six months later I shot an ad on Lauren Hutton.
  • Sexual desire torments us everyday—organized religions insult our intelligence—it took me years to forget what the church taught—people believe in the myth of immaculate conception—an egg without sperm to fertilize it—when that story was written people believed the earth was flat. Is there any difference between a drug maker and a drug dealer?
  • When people say you are not alone, that's another lie. You are locked inside your own head—you are alone—and you will have to save yourself—you have to use courage to ignore that kind of well meaning lie.
  • My son Terry was photographing for W magazine. He had an exhibit at the Soho gallery of wonderful portraits of punk rock girls taken in the east village bars. One of the girls had a swastika on her knickers. The punk and the skinheads loved nazi symbols—the ladies at W dropped him and called him an anti semite—once again showing their ignorance and disregarding the fact that Terry is half jewish—How do these broads get their jobs?
  • Too bad anger is part of love. If you are passionate, you are not going to have easy relationships. If someone hides their dark side you do not know them.. If you cannot live with the truth about yourself, you have nothing to give.
  • The only way to survive in the 21st century is to be above it all---way above.
  • The bigger they are, the harder they fall. This old chestnut theory applies to the fashion and entertainment gangs. It is not wise to allow people to put you on a pedestal. Think of all the mighty in ny and holywood who have almost made that mistake. The fashion magazines almost always fire editors, usually in a vicious low class way. In Hollywood they destroy careers in order to protect their own. Fear and intimidation run both industries. A whore in prada is still a whore.
  • Flipping through fashion magazines in the supermarket is sad. What I see is copying and stealing. Terry worries me--he seems too secure. He confuses money with success. Quitting at the top terrifies him. He seems oblivious to the idea that a young photographer who is shallow enough to crave fame and money might be behind him waiting for him to become passe.
  • You can belong to the herd where there is safety in lockstep—or you can be an independent. Wild and free and always in danger—which one are you?
  • When interviewed on French television before her death, Chanel said that American fashion editors were sows. Will Karl Lagerfeld make more money behind the genius of Chanel than Chanel made?
  • The fastest way to push a man away is to surrender to jealous rages.
  • If you think for yourself, if you are special, you never join a party, a gang or a clique or a group. You go at it alone. In all of the arts there is an in crowd—before long they join the out-crowd; great and small f*** em all.
  • Anyone with a secret lives in fear. I don't give a f*** what anyone thinks of me—I KNOW that possessing a god given talent puts me ahead of those whose lives are spent inside their own cash register. Making beauty with one's hands and imagination cannot be trumped. What the hell would I do with a lot of money? Give it away that would be the only answer.
  • He never said, I love you. It was weakness in me to want to hear that—actions speak louder than words—I salute you dad.

18-05-2009
rising star

Sorry if this is a repost, but this obituary about his father was fascinating.
Scanned by luxirare from luxirare.com.

front row

^That's one of my favourite pictures ever

I've been trying to find it in hight quality, I want it on my walls!

Any help ?

clever ain't wise

Anjelica Huston by Richardson from Vogue Italia 1971. Scanned by me.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bob, photographer, richardson