How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-03-2005
rising star

Carine Roitfeld - Editor-in-Chief, Vogue Paris (March 2005 - June 2009)
Carine Roitfeld's style is so beautiful and simple
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carine 01.JPG (37.0 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg carine 01a.JPG (53.8 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Carine 02.JPG (19.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg carine 03.JPG (36.2 KB, 288 views)

09-03-2005
rising star

from http://www.annebarone.com/ps.lesson.html
Quote:

FRENCH PERSONAL STYLE:

A look at CARINE ROITFELD, editor-in-chief French Vogue

According to WWD, the fashion muse of the moment (2002) is the editor-in-chief of French Vogue Carine Roitfeld. Actually Mme Roitfeld is an excellent example of chic French personal style that follows the golden rule of French chic: "Keep It Simple."

About the fashion editor, Robin Givhan writes in the Washington Post that Carine Roitfeld, the smoky-eyed editor of French Vogue, is this year's style icon:

Physically, Roitfeld is an unlikely role model. She has an angular, vaguely threatening appearance that is masculine and sexual in the manner of a young Charlotte Rampling. She favors black clothes and high heels that lace up and around the legs like gladiator formalwear. But her most disconcerting feature is a screen of brown hair that covers about half of her face.
Actually I don't find Carine Roitfeld either particularly masculine or even vaguely threatening, but then perhaps I interpret the severity of some French personal style differently than the Washington Post's chief fashion writer (with whom I usually agree.) On the other hand, I have only seen Carine Roitfeld in photos, and I am almost sure that Robin Givhan has seen her in person at various Paris fashion events. A bit later in this article, I will give you a link to a photo of Carine Roitfeld and you can decide for yourself.

Also I do not find the screen of brown hair a "most disconcerting feature," possibily because I am old enough to have a mother who is old enough to remember the era of Veronica Lake, a sultry American type whose signature personal style was her hair covering about half of her face. People did not find Veronica's hair disconcerting. They found it sexy. On the other hand, sexy can be disconcerting.

Robin Givhan quotes Bloomingdale's Buyer Kal Ruttenstein saying that he believes that Carine Roitfeld's look is the look of the moment. "She's in her early forties and has kids, and I don't think models should be Twiggy and 17," Ruttenstein says.

Others are writing about Carine Roitfeld:

According to WWD, many of models on the Fall runways even looked like Carine - something that was also mentioned by Ruth la Ferla in an article in the Style section of the New York Times ("Do Straight-haired Women Have More Fun?"). As she put it, "Carine Roitfeld has made dead - straight hair her signature. Ms. Roitfeld's tresses, which cover half her face, have lately been copied on the runways."

According to Roitfeld, there is no great mystery to her look, which she claims takes a mere 10 minutes each morning to achieve. As she told WWD, "I'm always wearing the same sort of things, a black coat, a skirt - but I always put the accent on one exciting piece". The one exciting piece is usually a killer pair of heels. As she stated: "in a fashion shoot, shoes are very important. Shoes give the look. That and the hair."

09-03-2005
woolgathering

I've been waiting for a thread about her! I love her style...will post pics later.

Thanks Mercedes!!!

09-03-2005
rising star

Attached Images
File Type: jpg carine 04.JPG (42.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Carine 05.JPG (29.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg carine 06.JPG (29.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg carine 07.JPG (34.4 KB, 270 views)

09-03-2005
a dim capacity for wings

i like her look, too.
i also think she does a good job at french vogue.
thanks for the thread mercedes (i have been missing you!)
i can't seem to be able to find good pictures right now...i bet luxmode can:

09-03-2005
rising star

Attached Images
File Type: jpg carine 09.JPG (20.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg carine 09a.JPG (20.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg carine 08.JPG (24.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg carine 11.JPG (38.0 KB, 104 views)

09-03-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna karina
i like her look, too.
i also think she does a good job at french vogue.
thanks for the thread mercedes (i have been missing you!)
i can't seem to be able to find good pictures right now...i bet luxmode can:
I just recently started buying french vogue and I'm really liking it too. I couldn't find that many pictures either.

Luxmode we're counting on you!

09-03-2005
woolgathering

Oh, the pressure

Well, the only places I know of to get pics of her online are sites like style. I used to see her in magazines a lot too, but not lately...

09-03-2005
woolgathering

all pics from from style.com

09-03-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

i think that she very often looks very bad...and always looks like she needs to get some sleep...
although i think she is a brilliant stylist...

thanks for the thread...

09-03-2005
front row

i hope to have that body at her age! though i find her a little too old for the fur and angles stuff she wears, it ages her face somehow.

09-03-2005
rising star

Great pictures anaisanais!

Luxmode I knew I could count on you!!!

from http://www.hintmag.com

from http://fashion.about.com
Quote:
Cool Carine

Anna's French counterpart, and one of the most influential fashion figures today is Carine Roitfeld, the editor in chief of French Vogue.

Her show wardrobe included long-haired, knee-length coats (with a decidedly mannish cut) all worn with her signature simple v-neck cashmere sweaters, knee-length skirts and killer boots or heels.

In one instance, she had the paparazzi going crazy when she appeared in a pale, fluffy fur coat paired with thick black opaque tights and optic white, pointy-toed stilettos (most likely by Michel Perry-her shoe designer of choice)

On another occasion, she used fur as a liner under a man-tailored wool coat.
from http://www.eddieds.com/inthenews.html
Quote:
And Carine Roitfeld, the editor of French Vogue, has made dead-straight hair her signature. Ms. Roitfeld's tresses, which curtain half her face, have lately been copied on the runways.
attachment from Vogue (DE)|April 2002
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carine 12.JPG (101.1 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by Tech Admin; 21-08-2007 at 03:34 PM.

09-03-2005
woolgathering

^ No problem Mercedes. Looks like you found some even better pics! She really looks amazing in the last one you posted.

09-03-2005
within an embrace

She looks tired, but other than that, her style is pretty nice. Classy. Trendy with an edge of classic.

09-03-2005
barcode

J'adore Carine! She's got such a great eye for style and I love what she herself wears.

There was a great picture of her in this month's Vanity Fair, wish I could scan it.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2005, 2009, carine, editorinchief, june, march, paris, roitfeld, vogue