How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-09-2010
V.I.P.

Very sad news. Her artistry will be missed.

02-09-2010
flaunt the imperfection..

very sad news...
rip ms day...

02-09-2010
tfs star

i love her work so much and always will.
rest in peace

03-09-2010
windowshopping

I was reading about Corinne's illness just a few days before she had passed away, and then came the sad news. RIP Corinne.

04-09-2010
V.I.P.

Remembering Photographer Corinne Day

by Cathy Horyn

Quote:
Whenever I looked at a picture of Kate Moss I thought of Corinne Day, who died last Friday at her home in England. The two women, model and photographer, were linked long past Ms. Day’s first pictures in the early ’90s of the teenage Ms. Moss, and I suppose that is inevitable when a truth is revealed.
The plain, unaffected beauty that Ms. Day and other photographers captured was nowhere to be found in glossy fashion magazines or on the Paris or Milan runways. It was the era of aggressive sexuality, whether from Jean Paul Gaultier, Thierry Mugler or Gianni Versace, and the young photographers and stylists who worked in London, usually for very little money, could not identify with that view of women. And they knew there was something else going on; they only had to look around them.
The style was called grunge, but it plainly real and very human. I loved hearing the stories about that time from Melanie Ward, and though I didn’t know Ms. Day, I always admired her work. Her pictures told us that she knew something about the lives of the models she photographed, that she empathized with them. That was one of Ms. Day’s secrets. Fashion itself is boring. But keep looking. And witness her curiosity and grace in some of the pictures she took in 2004 and 2005, in particular Gemma Ward at Glastonbury. They’re gorgeous.
source:nytimes.com

Last edited by kasper!; 04-09-2010 at 11:57 PM.
07-09-2010
windowshopping

yes, very sad.
rest in peace.

13-09-2010
V.I.P.

By Aimee Walleston

Quote:
When I was nineteen, I assisted stylist Karl Plewka and was terrible at it. I didn’t know any better, and thought photo shoots were group opportunities for everyone to make their own pictures, so I shot everyone with my Polaroid camera and got into trouble. Afterward, Karl, who worked often with Corinne Day, looked at my pictures and said, “Well, these are nice: you shoot like Corinne.” Being compared, however offhandedly, to one of my heroes gave me so much confidence. It made me feel that my creativity had a purpose and wasn’t just the side effect of being a strange and insecure person. Day was someone who challenged not just the glossy flawlessness of ‘80s fashion photography, but also the idea that a fashion photograph is better when crafted by a male photographer. Resolutely in touch with the times she lived in–and what it meant to be a woman in front of a camera and behind one–Day had a point of view worth caring about, and she made people care about it, and her, and what her images said about the time they were made in. It takes courage to do that: when you are what you create artistically, continually showing it to the world is like letting everyone, friend or foe, have a little piece of you. Having your work published or exhibited is often more painful and embarrassing than it is glamorous, and it never feels quite like the compliment people imagine it to be. So it’s hard and really sad when the people who changed the way you look at things and who inspired your own creative life die young. I can’t imagine photography without the shift in perspective Day brought to it.
source:the last magazine

front row

RIP
so sad

22-12-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
THE FACE
May 2000

Do You Remeber The First Time?
Photographed by Sofia Coppola & Corine Day

scanned by GinAndTonic

I never knew she was behind the Virgin Suicides posters and publicity shot, makes me love her even more..

Such a shame, RIP

Leave tonight or live and die this way
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
corinne, day, photographer