How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-08-2010
old-fashioned

i can't believe it

she shoot three of my all-time favourite covers (the face july 1990, uk vogue march 1993, i-D december 1993)... and one of my favourite photoshoots ever - which i just realized haven't been posted here in HQ.

The Face No. 22 July 1990

THE DAISY AGE
Styling: Melanie Ward
Make-up: Shiralee Law
Hair: Drew Jarrett

scanned by laisla

02-09-2010
V.I.P.

Her biography ....
Source: nytimes.com
Quote:
Corinne Day, Photographer of Kate Moss, Is Dead
By DOUGLAS MARTIN

Corinne Day, whose frank, unadorned photos of a teenage Kate Moss in the early 1990s helped inaugurate a new era of gritty realism in fashion photography that came to be called “grunge,” died Friday at her home in Denham, a village in Buckinghamshire, England.

Dafydd Jones/WireImage

Kate Moss, left, and Corinne Day at the National Portrait Gallery in London in 2007.

The cause was a cancerous brain tumor, said her agent, Susan Babchick. According to her Web site, Ms. Day was 45, but public records indicate she was 48.

Ms. Day’s passion to record the most profound human experiences with a camera was never more evident than the day in 1996 when the tumor was discovered after she had collapsed in New York. She promptly asked her husband to shoot pictures of her, and they continued the project through her treatment and decline.

“Photography is getting as close as you can to real life,” she said, “showing us things we don’t normally see. These are people’s most intimate moments, and sometimes intimacy is sad.”

Ms. Day built her reputation on unrelenting visual honesty. She refused to airbrush the bags from under models’ eyes or de-emphasize their knobby knees. She eschewed pretty locations or even studios in favor of shooting people in their own environments.

It added up to a startling detour from the glossy world of supermodels — “subversion,” in Ms. Day’s own phrase.

There were two defining moments along the way, both involving Ms. Moss. The first was in 1990, when some of the first published fashion photographs of Ms. Moss, taken by Ms. Day, appeared in the British magazine The Face. One showed Ms. Moss topless; another suggested she was naked. She wore a mix of designer and secondhand clothes and no makeup over her freckles, and her expression was sincere. The photos seemed to usher in a new age of anti-fashion style. Artlessness became art. Some called it “grunge.”

The second moment, in 1993, was a shoot for British Vogue that featured a pale and skinny Ms. Moss in mismatched underwear. A public outcry ensued, as some claimed that Ms. Moss’s waifish figure seemed to imply she was suffering from an eating disorder or drug addiction.

On her agent’s advice, Ms. Moss stopped working with Ms. Day, with whom she had become close friends. Ms. Day said she was tired of taking fashion pictures, anyway.
“I think fashion magazines are horrible,” she said in an interview with the British newspaper The Observer in 1995. “They’re stale and they say the same thing year in and year out.”

The grunge aesthetic took hold for several years in designer imagery of the 1990s, most visibly in Calvin Klein’s influential fragrance and jeans campaigns, and also in street fashion, with the throwaway style of flannel shirts and distressed jeans, as popularized by Kurt Cobain and the burgeoning Seattle music scene.

Ms. Day eventually took fashion photos again, including ones of Ms. Moss that are in the permanent collection of the National Portrait Gallery in London. But her aspiration was to document the lives of the people she knew best, and her “Diary,” published in 2000, told visual stories, including those of a single mother struggling to survive.

Corinne Day was born in Ealing, a town in west London. She said that her mother had run a brothel and that her father had robbed banks. They divorced when she was 5, and her grandmother raised her. As a girl, she said, she liked to spend hours in the photo booth at Woolworth’s with her friends.

Ms. Day left school at 16, worked briefly as a trainee in a bank, then flew around the world as an airline courier. A photographer she met on a plane suggested that she take up modeling, and she did, for Guess Jeans.

In Japan she met a filmmaker, Mark Szaszy, who taught her to use a camera — they would later marry — and she began taking pictures of the drab private lives of her fellow models, who seemed so glamorous in public.

“There was a lot of sadness,” she said in an interview with The Guardian in 2000. “We couldn’t buy the clothes we were photographed in, couldn’t go out and do the things we would have liked to do as teenagers.”

She took her work to the art director at The Face, who asked her to shoot some fashion pictures. She prowled the modeling agencies with a Polaroid and found Ms. Moss, whom she likened to “the girl next door.” They lived, worked and prospered together for three years.

“Corinne’s pictures, you might say, made Kate, and Kate made Corinne’s reputation,” The Evening Standard said in 2007.

Ms. Day is survived by her husband as well as her parents and two brothers.
Even at the height of her celebrity, in 1993, Ms. Day told The Guardian that her personal sartorial goal was to look “unstyled.” “I don’t take fashion too seriously,” she said.

Last edited by BetteT; 02-09-2010 at 05:31 PM.
02-09-2010
V.I.P.

We are stating a R.I.P thread: Please post your comments and condolances there. http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f71...ml#post7817259

This thread will be reopened after the condolances have been given and you will be able to resume posting her work here.

16-01-2011
The future is stupid

source | scanned by MMA from UK Vogue January 2011

17-01-2011
V.I.P.

Miu Miu Fall/Winter 94.95 (Ad Campaign)
Model: Rosemary Ferguson

community.livejournal.com/styleregistry

17-01-2011
goodbye kiss

UK Vogue October 2007
GOLDEN YEARS
Model: Jessica Stam

:singingpickle@community.livejournal/modelcouture:

I'm not sure Jessica was the best model choice for this...But I love it

22-02-2011
less is more

the morning after the year before...
Photographer: Corinne Day
Model: Rosemary Ferguson

scans by rox_yr_sox

25-03-2011
front row

Vogue UK June 2002, The Long Story
Fashion editor: Kate Phelan
Model: Gisele BŁndchen
Hair: Neil Moodie
Makeup: Max Delorme

scanned by me (does anyone have tips for making better scans, I increased the resolution but they're still a bit grainy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (297.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (211.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-4.jpg (227.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-5.jpg (239.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-7.jpg (218.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-8.jpg (272.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-9.jpg (271.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-10.jpg (214.3 KB, 10 views)

25-03-2011
front row

...contd, Vogue UK June 2002, The Long Story
credits same as in the previous post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-11.jpg (213.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-12.jpg (303.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-13.jpg (225.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-14.jpg (302.9 KB, 14 views)

25-03-2011
fashion icon

I that editorial! Thanks for the scan!

Leave tonight or live and die this way
26-03-2011
old-fashioned

That's probably one of Gisele's best covers. I love how natural it looks, love the simplicity. It's the perfect way to shoot such a sexy dress.
Thanks for scanning Drusilla

backstage pass

THE FACE by CORINNE DAY EXHIBITION LONDON
1ST SEP-1ST OCTOBER 2011 IN A LONDON MAYFAIR GALLERY. KATE MOSS PORTRAITS ON DISPLAY. google it for details.
I WILL DEFINITELY BE THERE!

28-08-2011
V.I.P.

The Kate Moss Face cover is truly one my favorite covers ever.So sad she left us so early

you soft and only

Vogue Italia September 2003
Fashion Editor: Cathy Kasterine
Hair: Neil Moodie
Make-Up: Lisa Butler
Model: Lou Doillon

kes-ke.livejournal.com

Last edited by softgrey; 02-09-2011 at 07:48 PM.
10-09-2011
V.I.P.

UK Vogue August 2007
"It's Miller Time"
Models/stars: Sienna & Savannah Miller
Stylist: Kate Phelan
Hair: James Brown
Makeup: Jay Montano

sienna-miller.org

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags