How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-05-2007
V.I.P.

Beautiful! Totally great captures of emotion and space.

12-05-2007
front row

These are absolutely wonderful!
Thank you everyone for posting.

rising star

does anyone have more deborah stuff? i love it.

07-10-2009
The future is stupid

VARIATIONS ON CHIC
Vogue Italia October 2009
Hair: Seb Bascle
Makeup: Pierre Orlando
Stylist: Robert Rabensteiner
Photographer: Deborah Turbeville

source | scanned by Diciassette

07-10-2009
V.I.P.

It's amazing how she can capture an older aesthetic just by playing with positions.. they look like aspiring teachers in a class break some time in the late 30s. very lovely.. her work is never-ending pleasure.

thanks MMA!.

The future is stupid

^Ahh that's a beautiful thought MP. These images really make me wonder what would have been had she photographed the Prada Campaign for F/W 09.10.

Dream

10-10-2009
The future is stupid

ANOTHER WORLD OF STYLE... REI KAWAKUBO
US Vogue August 1987
Interview by Elsa Klensch
Photographer: Deborah Turbeville
Rei Photographed by Steven Meisel

source | scanned by hfgl

04-11-2009
neorealismo

A WWD article:

[e-mailed, marek & associates]

05-11-2009
rising star

cool! love that WWD is writing about her, it's amazing. she's a living legend in my opinion.

28-01-2010
don't look down

Caitlin Kelly's account of listening to her at a recent lecture (trueslant.com):

Quote:
Heard An Idol Tonight At ICP

Jan 27 2010

I started out wanting to become a photographer. There were not many women doing it when I was a teen, but — to my profound delight — two of the legends from those days are still working and talking to the rest of us through the International Center of Photography, whose midtown Manhattan campus offers classes, workshops, degree programs and a lecture series by famous and less-famous photographers that kicked off this evening.

The first guest was Deborah Turbeville, whose photos really look like no one else’s, tough to do in an image-saturated world. With no photography training, she fell into the world of New York fashion as a model for the legendary sportswear designer Claire McCardell, went on to become an editor at Harper’s Bazaar and began shooting her own work. She created, and cherishes, photos filled with decay, ruin and imperfection — placing exquisite models and couture clothing in enormous old high-ceilinged rooms filled only with natural light or cracked mirrors.

She added lint and dust to her black and white prints, giving them the appearance of photos found in a flea-market tin or someone’s battered turn-of-the-century scrapbook.

The work is not, as it may sound, precious or pretentious or artificial, although it’s very much her creation and vision driving it all. Tonight she regaled the room of about 100 people, (a notably artsy crowd in which almost every single person wore black, gray or brown) with great stories behind some of the work — the Albertini twins and Monsieur Lemoine and the hunchback Jean who all kept trying to oversee her work while she was shooting a book at Versailles for, as she put it coyly “a very famous American woman”, whom I’m guessing was Jackie Onassis, for a while a Manhattan book editor.

“Monkeys were involved, parrots were involved. I’d go out into the street and pick people I thought would look right then dress them up,” she said. The Versailles images include women lying on the floor in huge dresses, a pile of dead autumn leaves a second skirt. “We just invented the whole book as we went along. I went around just snapping away.”

Filled with strong opinions, but funny and self-deprecating, she said she hates it– “I hate, hate, hate it!” — when someone comes to her studio, chooses an image and says: “This is the best one. There is no best one!” She returns often to shoot in Russia and in weathered old Eastern European cities like Cracow and Budapest. “I love construction sites, things that are broken. It’s my vocabulary.”

Few women could so easily, and un-annoyingly, drop names like Mr. Liberman, (Conde Nast’s famed editorial director from 1962 to 1994) or have so avidly pursued an image — that she had to re-shoot — of the exquisite soft black leather pumps worn by the equally legendary Vogue editor Diana Vreeland. (Her autobiography, D.V. is a great read, beginning with the words, “I loathe nostalgia.”)

Turbeville is still shooting actively, most often for all the iterations of Italian Vogue, she said, mostly because they leave her alone; she told several stories of deeply annoyed clients who’d hired her to showcase their products, only to find them hidden, shadowed or disguised, as she did on a shoot for Calvin Klein shoes.

A show of her work opens next week in Manhattan at the Staley-Wise Gallery.

don't look down

And information about her new book (amazon.com):

Deborah Turbeville: Past Imperfect
(Steidl)

Past Imperfect looks into the heart of the influential American photographer Deborah Turbeville's oeuvre, surveying her groundbreaking narrative work of 1974 through 1998, when she pioneered a look of antique decadence, using distressed film and prints to capture models as Miss Havishams in faded fin-de-siecle glory. Some 15 series, structured like short stories or novellas, encapsulate that unique sensibility and elegant aesthetic. They remind the viewer, as one critic has written, of films they would have liked to have seen, and inspire comparisons to Luchino Visconti, Jean Cocteau, Rainer Werner Fassbinder and Joel-Peter Witkin.

Turbeville's vision is unorthodox--at once haunted and haunting. She creates those effects with the help of favorite actresses and models, largely unknown, acting as a repertory cast. They interpret her endangered species, anachronisms, out of sync with their time and context, playing mutations in a mannequin workshop, statues in a Paris art school, and automatons in a derelict factory. And they help to create a characteristic sense of fragmented dreams, of dislocation, hallucination and time without boundaries--the past imperfect.

trendsetter

Barney's New York Fall 2010 Catalog
The House
Models: Irina Kulikova, Kamila Filipcikova, Kristy Kaurova

scanned by behansu

Great to see some new work from her.

30-08-2010
rising star

I KNEW Deborah shot that... I love it!!

26-03-2011
fashion elite

^ nice!