How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

The Decline Of Fashion Photography
http://slate.msn.com/features/010510_fashi...ide-show/01.htm

click here for a slide show and insightful look into the world of fashion photography...by karen lehrman...

Fashion photography is in fashion. This 1951 Vogue cover by Irving Penn recently sold for $28,750 at auction. It is indeed brilliant: Penn's masterful use of light, balance, and a spare composition create an understated elegance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IrvingPennvogue_cover_51.jpg (17.0 KB, 72 views)

18-11-2004
Meg
inspired contemplation

thanks for the link softie. that was a really interesting article. I didn't entirely agree with everything but thought there were some great points regarding models, fashion illustration and talking about not actually showing the clothes.

18-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

no prob meg...that's been one of my pet peeves for a long time actually...fashion photographes that don't show the ...fashion!!!...i HATE that....

i mean...what's the point?!?!...i get the whole art thing...but if it's in a fashion magazine...then it's commercial and people don't buy fashion magazines for art..they go to galleries and museums for that...there is no reason why you can't inject a fashion photograph with artistic merit while still serving the purpose of a great fashion photograph...which is to show the fashion as beautifully and effectively as possible...

imho...

18-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 18 2004, 01:13 AM
there is no reason why you can't inject a fashion photograph with artistic merit while still serving the purpose of a great fashion photograph...which is to show the fashion as beautifully and effectively as possible...
[snapback]436896[/snapback]
I agree
Overall, I can understand her point, it is easy to lose the artistic element in an editorial in favour of just focusing on the clothes, but it's also dissapointing when the designs themselves seem to be compromised in order to produce a wonderfully artistic photograph
I think there's a balance that's required between blandness and unabashed creativity in fashion, which very few photographers manage to achieve but when they do, it's wonderful (Paolo Roversi, being a great example )

tfs star

Thanks for posting this, Softgrey, an interesting read...

18-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by tiffany@Nov 18 2004, 02:13 AM
which very few photographers manage to achieve but when they do, it's wonderful (Paolo Roversi, being a great example )
[snapback]436914[/snapback]
I was just going to mention him, but since you've done it- I'm happy here!

18-11-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Cool article!

I agree, too, to a large extent.

However, I also think fashion has gone down the toilet since the 1960s, so what do I know?

V.I.P.

EXCELLENT!!! Thank you, softie. I agree with your comments entirely. Oust those egomaniacs!!!

18-11-2004
windowshopping

Thanks for the links! Interesting, though I disagree with most of her points. I think her view of a "good" fashion photograph is very restrictive.

This one, for example :
"Fashion photography isn’t obligated to take readers into an elegant fantasyland, though that certainly was nice. But it should be different from photojournalism, and especially photojournalism concentrating on society’s dark side. "
People in poor neighborhoods often have a great sense of fashion, so why not show *their* world? Of course there's a risk that you may be using their creativity just to get some, um, street credibility. But that depends on the photographer's own ethics & talent. (BTW, to say that photojournalism concentrates on "society's dark side" isn't exactly true either).

And then she shows that photo of Maggie Rizer (I think it was shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I've seen a big print of it in an exhibition, and it's gorgeous), saying that the model looks "stupid". Well that's a subjective opinion so I'm not even gonna try & argue with it. But I think she's missing the point. Models in the 50's always looked confident and cool. That's different today, and models are often shown in situations that they don't control (looking perplexed, angry, whatever). IMO, that doesn't make them more "stupid" than the people shown in 50's photos. The photographers simply catch them in moments where they're "in action", and not in "calm" moments. To me, that's a very positive change.

This being said, I agree that there's a lot of rubbish in today's fashion photography. But I think it's a matter of the photographer's talent & mood, not a matter of aestethic codes that have changed.

(sorry for my poor english, by the way )

18-11-2004
Heated

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 18 2004, 02:13 AM
no prob meg...that's been one of my pet peeves for a long time actually...fashion photographes that don't show the ...fashion!!!...i HATE that....
[snapback]436896[/snapback]
Haha my favorite is when it's a closeup shot of some girl's face and they have the audacity to credit shoes, pants, and fragrance!

18-11-2004
V.I.P.

I beg to differ

Quote:
This one, for example :
"Fashion photography isn’t obligated to take readers into an elegant fantasyland, though that certainly was nice. But it should be different from photojournalism, and especially photojournalism concentrating on society’s dark side. "
People in poor neighborhoods often have a great sense of fashion, so why not show *their* world? Of course there's a risk that you may be using their creativity just to get some, um, street credibility. But that depends on the photographer's own ethics & talent. (BTW, to say that photojournalism concentrates on "society's dark side" isn't exactly true either).
People in poor neighborhoods don't have thousands of dollars to dress in the clothing that the editorials who USE them advertise. So the whole thing is entirely pretenscious and exploiting.

Quote:
And then she shows that photo of Maggie Rizer (I think it was shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I've seen a big print of it in an exhibition, and it's gorgeous), saying that the model looks "stupid". Well that's a subjective opinion so I'm not even gonna try & argue with it. But I think she's missing the point. Models in the 50's always looked confident and cool. That's different today, and models are often shown in situations that they don't control (looking perplexed, angry, whatever). IMO, that doesn't make them more "stupid" than the people shown in 50's photos. The photographers simply catch them in moments where they're "in action", and not in "calm" moments. To me, that's a very positive change.
Most models in most editorials today are made to do things that are entirely disrespectful to any human being (note the doggie style position of the photo posted with the model's hand reaching around her back as if she's about to pull the dress up). So, in essence, these models resemble whores at worst, or mindless puppets with no sense of self-respect at best.

Quote:
(sorry for my poor english, by the way* )
Your English is excellent.

18-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Nov 18 2004, 08:36 AM
Haha my favorite is when it's a closeup shot of some girl's face and they have the audacity to credit shoes, pants, and fragrance!
[snapback]437092[/snapback]
ditto

18-11-2004
Heated

That said, I really don't like this slideshow. I don't know who this Karen Lehrman is but she sounds stupid. And like someone else said, too restrictive in her view of good photography. And some of her points are just so dumb. Mario Testino is a bad photographer because he was a waiter before doing photography? What an idiot. Mario's one of the most important and most successful photographers of our time and his work is almost always stellar.

I don't really get her point, and I'm not sure if she has one. If we're going to bitch about shallow fashion photography, we might as well bitch about shallow investigative reporting that has nothing to say.

18-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Nov 18 2004, 08:39 AM
And some of her points are just so dumb. Mario Testino is a bad photographer because he was a waiter before doing photography? What an idiot. Mario's one of the most important and most successful photographers of our time and his work is almost always stellar.
[snapback]437097[/snapback]
I agree for the most part, I thought some of her comments (like the one related to Testino) were a little contrived

I love model_mom!

I agree with a lot of what she says. I just think that much of the content (editorials/ads) in fashion magazines looks the same and that it is time for a fashion photograpy to move on!

Thanks for the article/slideshow softgrey!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
decline, fashion, photography