How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-07-2005
windowshopping

I agree that she is an icon. Wow what a personality!!
Every one should read her book D.V. It is a fascinating look into her life and her way of thought and all the fab things she did and people that she knew. I could not put it down!
John Esten also wrote a book called Diana Vreeland: Bazaar Years

Based on her column “why don’t you?” which she started in 1936, in which she says extravagant lines like

-wear violet velvet mittens with every thing?

-have a yellow satin bed entirely quilted in butterflies?

-tie black tulle bows on your wrists?

-turn an old ermine coat into a bathrobe?

-order Schiaparelli’s cellophane belt with your name and telephone number on it?

I had to find them on the net but are a great addition to my fashion library!

Laura

22-07-2005
windowshopping

Great thread!
Laura, I was lucky enough to be given a copy of DV, so it is officially on my "next to read" list.

22-07-2005
V.I.P.

i read DV about a year ago, and it was absolutely captivating - a very good read, i'd recommend it to everyone interested in fashion.

23-07-2005
backstage pass

On the cover of Interview (from Wikipedia)

13-08-2005
windowshopping

Rubbed shoulders, that's all!
I just had to mention that I was lucky to have spent an evening with Mrs. Vreeland when I was an early teen. Her son, Frederick, (known as "Frecky"), was back from Morocco where he was the Ambassador, I believe. His two sons, Sasha and Nicky, were only slightly younger than my sister and I. Frecky was, I believe, a good friend of my Dad's best friend, one "Chandler Cowles", a lovely man who is something of a footnote in New York theatrical history. In any case, my sister and I were living in NYC and were invited to an evening with Sasha and Nicky at the Harvard Hasty Pudding Theatrical performance in the city. We were the guests of Diana Vreeland. I mostly remember the fun of the limo ride and also, vaguely, the theatrical presentation. She was a rather strange looking woman, as I recall, but we totally enjoyed the evening.

I had no real clue at the time of the greatness of this lady who took us out for the evening so I can only wish I had been ten years older at the time. Her grandson, Nicky, is now in a very surprising and rather prominent position in his chosen life. I have been in touch with him relatively recently but that, too, is outside the scope of this forum.

I know I have nothing of any real relevance to offer here. Thanks for letting me boast of having spent an evening with this amazing lady.

I would like to add that my reason for having done a Google search that took me here was my effort to find a brief bio of Diana Vreeland that emphasizes her relatively humble beginnings, how she rather pulled herself up in a surprising way to the life she lived from an early age. None of the bios I have found so far match the one I found a few years ago. I was trying to offer some hope and inspiration for a struggling artist-type whom I correspond with very regularly!

Rob

Last edited by Rob in Florida; 13-08-2005 at 11:05 PM.
13-08-2005

i dont think you'll be reading this, but thank you rob for your wonderful anecdote

windowshopping

I read it! I found it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toohipforbrooklyn
i dont think you'll be reading this, but thank you rob for your wonderful anecdote
I was automatically notified by email of your prompt response to my post and can also report that I think I have found the story I was looking for.

If I can just get my free subscription working, I'll be able to read again the full story. It was in the New York Review of Books and written by Jonathan Lieberson regarding the title, Richesse d'embarras.

I'll keep trying!

14-08-2005

so can you remember any details of that evening, more to the point, what she was wearing??

front row

I really can't remember where those pics are from. They have been in my album for forever.

Last edited by Aleksejeva; 14-08-2005 at 07:43 AM.
17-09-2005
rising star

a few pictures from the book Diana Vreeland by Eleanor Dwight (a great book with tons of Vreeland pictures) :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD.JPG (279.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DV.JPG (190.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DV2.JPG (251.1 KB, 48 views)

19-09-2005
backstage pass

from what i read in helmut newton's autobiography, diana knew exactly what she wanted and, no matter how dear to her heart a photographer or model was, would simply push photos aside if they were not as she had desired.
some people- especially nowadays- would call that harsh and arrogant etc.
i think, however, that the reason her career (esp. at us vogue) is so celebrated is because her mind's picture was the perfect way.

jeez, i'm tired and raving. forgive me.

trendsetter

If Diana Vreeland was in charge now, I think that US Vogue would be outselling UK Vogue substantialy!!! I mean I prefer US Vogue anyway and adore the talents of Anna Wintour but Diana Vreeland completely transformed it into a modern icon.

windowshopping

I miss the old American Vogue. It's annoying seeing someone completely uninspiring and unfashionable on the covers every month.

12-01-2006
trendsetter

Where can you get issues of Vogue that Diana Vreeland worked on?

Storm & Sommer

ebay

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diana, editor, vreeland