How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-04-2007
?

thought I'd give this thread a bump..

Anyone here that happens to have any Vogue issues from when she was the editor, or maybe even some Bazaar?

15-04-2007
clever ain't wise

Here's one shot - the first page with a really long ed with Verushka and Richard Avedon. It also has great text by DV (I think it's her). Vogue 1966.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg american_vogue_october_15_1966__verushka__avedon__1_sm.jpg (268.9 KB, 44 views)

15-04-2007
?

^^ thank you. I adore that.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinstinker
I think if diana was still alive today she would put anna wintour over her lap and give her a spanking diana celebrated the models, fine art, and could spot talent in the art world music, fashion, film a mile away. but diana celebrated the model, thats why I like her, I saw documentary on lauren hutton, the way lauren hutton described her, I just loved. I bought on ebay , I was very lucky a library in the middle of the states was selling in binders vogue from the sixties, that time the magazine, wow, all I can say that it is looking at art. vogue today I am very tired over the fact that the model who busts their buts 3 or more times a year for months does all the hard work and the celebrity who wears the outfit once down a red carpet gets the credit, anna wintour has made me dislike american vogue
i'm sorry but "gets the credit" ?

gets the credit for what? A celebrity is famous for their movies/tv shows/ tabliod antics. A model is essentially an anonymous clotheshanger- that is what they are on the catwalk. In editorials they are a canvas, a medium for art. I can't see journalists praising the model for what is essentially their job.

I also don't think (in my pedestrian and non informed view) that Diana celebrated the model specifically. She was a tour de force who drew around her all that was bright and creative. That included photographers, nameless society girls, politians and intellectuals. -this is from reading her autobiography.

to celebrate and worship the model- that is over. Its an idealised visage of the industry, even at their height where models became celebrities- the supermodels; they were collaborators to the creation of beautiful images.

Its not exactly normal or plausable to put them on a pedestal.

V.I.P.

Last edited by ponytrot; 21-04-2007 at 12:35 AM.
21-04-2007
V.I.P.

on my computer for awhile - i'm pretty sure its from photo decadent.

The great editrix in her New York apartment. She wanted to recreate a "garden of hell". Her favourite colour was a deep lacquer red.

?

^^ Those are actually my pictures :p I posted them (If I remember correctly) in the famous people houses thread last year. They're originally from the Eleonor Dwight biography on Diana.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaMare
^^ Those are actually my pictures :p I posted them (If I remember correctly) in the famous people houses thread last year. They're originally from the Eleonor Dwight biography on Diana.
oh dear

my full apologies StellaMare- they are wonderful pictures nonetheless!

please excuse my terrible memory

?

^^ oh, I don't mind They should probably be in this thread anyway!

clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrot
i'm sorry but "gets the credit" ?

gets the credit for what? A celebrity is famous for their movies/tv shows/ tabliod antics. A model is essentially an anonymous clotheshanger- that is what they are on the catwalk. In editorials they are a canvas, a medium for art. I can't see journalists praising the model for what is essentially their job.
That sentence is a bit weird - why wouldn't a journalist praise someone for their work performace? Isn't that a large part of what journalism is all about?

A model's job is essentially to present clothes. The presentation of clothes get a lot of attention in several media - fashion shows, fashion magazines, the covers and in the general media. I think the argument is that non-model celebs taint the clothes by being less attractive than models and also adding the whole cheap, sadly unsightly, circus to the items they are wearing (who dates who and who does what in the restroom etc etc).

Diana's vision was remarkable - she always brought fourth people who shone from within - just like Andy Warhol did (although I guess in his case burn might be more appropriate). I guess it's all a thing of the past, really, truly beautiful celebrities.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 21-04-2007 at 02:53 PM.
02-06-2007
Storm & Sommer

Vreeland interview from 1977 Fashion Videos
[youtube]5li3s9D1hT0[/youtube]

pinterest : hanneonpin

Last edited by Hanne; 02-06-2007 at 04:59 PM.
02-06-2007
V.I.P.

WOW,Hanne thanks a million for that video.Brilliant interview,she was so sharp and i love her anwsers.

02-06-2007
clever ain't wise

Thanks very much Hanne, that video was wonderful. She is just fantastic.

03-06-2007
earthbound

Diana Vreeland Vogue 80s
Photographed by Graziella Vigo

Source: ebay.com

13-08-2007
scenester

Diana Vreeland's mother married "a man who was neither rich nor socially prominent, qualities valued in her world", but he was good looking, loved his wife and children.

Diana's mother was American and her name was: Emily Key Hoffman. She came from a well to-do family, and had great connections in the New York social scene. Diana was not fond of her mother because of her relationship towards men, however Diana inherited the good social and outgoing ways of her mother.
Moreover, Diana felt that her mother was not fond of her because of her looks, she felt her mother favored her beautiful sister. Diana grew to adore her sister and learned to live with her mother. Its said that after her mother died she never mentioned her again. Furthermore, it is said that DV grew to be comfortable with good looking people because of growing up with her sister.

These comments are based mainly on Eleanor Dwight's "Diana Vreeland".

I find that DV is amazing b/c she was an ongoing work in progress, always learning and changing but always keeping her "simplicity".

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diana, editor, vreeland