How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-11-2008
there is no fear

From People,December 9th 1974.

people.com

25-11-2008
V.I.P.

^^Thank you.

rh85 thanks a million for scanning all of that.

28-05-2009
?

Bump!

I hadn't seen these two before, I wish there were more photos from her younger days with Reed.. He was almost as stylish as Diana. Almost

corbis; ana-lee.livejournal.com

front row

Has anyone read her autobiography - D.V?

clever ain't wise

Yes, and I can recommend it It gives a lot of insight into what kind of life creates such an extraordinary person. And then, it's filled with quotes from her, which is always a plus.

As it happened, I just had D.V on my desk, so let me share a random excerpt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.
"My sister, Alexandra, has violet eyes. She's four and a half yerars younger than me, so she was still a baby when my family moved from Paris to NY in 1914...[We would be out in central park and people would stop to look at her]....As soon as I saw people looking, I'd run over to the pram, because I was so proud of her.

"Oh, what a beautiful child!", they'd say.

"Yes", I'd always say, "and she has violet eyes..."

Then there was the most terrible scene between my mother and me. One day she said to me. "It's too bad that you have such a beautiful sister and that you are so extremely ugly and so terribly jealous of her. This, of course, is why you are so impossible to deal with."

It didn't offend me that much. I simply walked out of the room. I never bothered to explain that I loved my sister and was more proud of her than of anything in the world, that I absolutely adored her.....Parents, you know, can be terrbile.
Her italics = my underlining.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 14-08-2012 at 01:52 PM.
23-07-2011
trendsetter

YAY! There is a DV topic! I've been looking for months for one and finally stumbled on this one. I'm happy to have found it.

15-08-2011
Mr. Magic

US Bazaar September 2011

storemags.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
29-08-2011
V.I.P.

Harper's Bazaar US September 2011 ebook30

07-09-2011
Mr. Magic

Quote:
September 6, 2011, 1:25 pm
Remembering Diana Vreeland
By JESSICA MICHAULT

Diana Vreeland in her office as editor in chief of Vogue.Rowland Scherman/Diana Vreeland Archives/From “Diana Vreeland”Diana Vreeland in her office as editor in chief of Vogue.

Diana Vreeland, who died in 1989, is hardly an unknown figure in the worlds of fashion and journalism, with several books and even a critically acclaimed one-woman play having explored her influence as an editor at Harper’s Bazaar and then at Vogue, and later her ground-breaking work at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and its Costume Institute.

But now, a new documentary that was shown over the weekend at both the Venice and Telluride film festivals has the potential to bring Ms. Vreeland’s story, and a pretty compelling one it is, to a wider audience. “Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel,” is the first of a one-two-three punch that its director, Lisa Immordino Vreeland, has in store for fashionistas over the next year. A coffee table book with the same name will be published by Abrams in October and a special exhibition on Ms. Vreeland, curated by Maria Luisa Frisa and Judith Clark, will get underway next March at the Palazzo Fortuny.

This is apparently the first feature-length documentary film devoted to the life and work of Ms. Vreeland. The photographer and filmmaker Bruce Weber started work on one a few years ago, but it was never completed. Instead, some of the entertaining footage he shot of Ms. Vreeland holding court in her sumptuous New York apartment ended up in his 2001 film, “Chop Suey.”

“The Eye Has to Travel” is a lighthearted yet informative documentary that touches on the fashion editor’s early years, her love of dance and her struggle with her self image before quickly moving onto her time defining the look of both Harper’s Bazaar (from 1936 to 1962) and American Vogue (1962 to 1972). The director smartly allows Ms. Vreeland take the lead in this film, using taped recordings of the editor’s distinctive voice from interviews she did with George Plimpton. With Ms. Vreeland’s voice acting as the framework for the film, the director then turns to interviews with everyone from Ali McGraw (who was her assistant at one point at Harper’s Bazaar) Anjelica Huston, Manolo Blahnik, David Bailey, Penelope Tree, Veruschka, Lauren Hutton and Diana von Furstenberg, to enrich the movie with anecdotal stories and first hand experiences about what it was like to work with Ms. Vreeland

However the more poignant moments are courtesy of the interviews with family members, including her sons Tim and Frecky, and her grandsons Nicky and Alexander (who is the husband of the director). One of the biggest laughs in the film comes from watching the reaction of Ms. Vreeland’s great-granddaughter as she reads some of the editor’s “Why Don’t You” missives from her early years at Harper’s Bazaar.

By the end of the film, you are left with a feeling that Diana Vreeland was a true original: A woman, who embraced change, viewed life in vivid colors and abhorred anything ordinary.
nytimes.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
09-08-2012
V.I.P.

Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has To Travel [Trailer]

In NY and LA on September 21st, 2012.

Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has To Travel is an intimate portrait and a vibrant celebration of one of the most influential women of the 20th century, an enduring icon whose influence changed the face of fashion, beauty, art, publishing and culture forever. During her fifty year reign as the "Empress of Fashion," she launched Twiggy, advised Jackie O and coined some of fashion's most eloquent proverbs such as "the bikini is the biggest thing since the atom bomb." She was the fashion editor of HARPER'S BAZAAR where she worked for 25 years before becoming editor in chief of VOGUE followed by a remarkable stint at the Met's Costume Institute where she helped popularize its historical collections.

fashioncopious.typepad.com

clever ain't wise

It looks so good.

15-08-2012
Some Like It Hot

The trailer on amazon looks fantastic too, this movie is going to be insanely good.

you soft and only

I cannot recommend this documentary enough to anybody with an interest in her or fashion during that period. It was just so entertaining and it made me realize how dreadfully boring most magazines are nowadays. There aren't many true "characters" left in our world (or at least in the world of fashion).

HQ poster:

dianavreelandbookandfilm.tumblr.com

03-11-2012
V.I.P.

^ Oh that makes me even more excited to see it, and thanks for the poster. She truly was one of a kind!

03-11-2012
V.I.P.

OK .... I have a question for anyone who knows.

They didn't use her first name in the video, above ... they just call her "Vreeland" ... and I'd like to hear how her first name was pronounced.

I've alway pronounced, as you normally would .... Dye-Anna. But recently someone (who is certainly old enough to know) told me that it was pronounced .... Dee-Anna. Does anyone here know, for sure?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diana, editor, vreeland