How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Behind the Lens
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-11-2008
tfs star

Eric Guillemain - Photographer
One of the best model photographers obviously does deserve a thread. I didn't find one, so I guess it's time to start it.

myspace

A little autobiography from the Supermodels.nl website:
Quote:
In 2002 I decided to leave behind my life in Paris and move to New York to restart from zero.
I left the bookshop where I worked and my gig as lead singer in a band.

In 2003 I worked as a photographer's assistant learning the basics like how to change lenses and moving around some lights...

While working as an assistant I still maintained my involvement in music and continued to work on writing and singing.

In 2004 I bought my very first camera to shoot the cover art for the CD I was compiling.
With this camera I started having fun training my eye in the streets of New York.

In 2006 I decided to pursue photography as a career and began photographing models in my apartment.
I wanted the images to be as raw as could be. No hair, no make-up and barely any styling. I just wanted soul in daylight.

These series of portraits were called "Before Fashion". As a musician it was the equivalent of singing a capella with just an acoustic guitar. My only mission was to make the chemistry happen.

The model and I were two complete strangers with different histories but I was searching of some kind of unexpected magic emulsion to occur between us. I was looking for more than just a friendly connection.

In late 2006 I began working with Peter Lindbergh and shooting the behind the scene still.

I began showing my experimental portraits to close friends. They quickly encouraged me to submit some of these portraits to Surface Magazine.
Thankfully I listened to my friends because I ended up one of the winners of the 10th Avant Guardian Contest.

09-11-2008
tfs star

CREATIVE INSTINCT

Excerpts from an Interview in Vs Magazine (sept 2008)

Meeting up with Eric Guillemain and Lou Doillon after the photo shoot, Eric repeatedly refers to alchemy during our conversation (“there’s divinity is this glass of beer,” was one of his more memorable interpretations). And listening to Eric’s story, you can understand why. He followed the signs. Similarly, Lou Doillon, although born into the acting world as the daughter of Jane Birkin and film director Jacques Doillon, has followed her creative instinct through the gamut of art forms. She’s 25 and already an experienced actress, designer for Lee Cooper, model and musician. Both Lou and Eric have decided that expression and living in ‘your moment’ is not a postmodern cliché but rather something to strive for. Over-analyzing motives is boring, trying to plan your life is fruitless and stressful, and Lou generally warns against drinking from the paranoid fountains of desire and projection. Do your best, live every project fully and the chips will fall where they may. We all have a creative instinct. So go use it – if you dare.
You both like to explore. Physically and professionally. Eric, you completely changed jobs.
Eric: Yes.
- and Lou – you’re all over the place.
Lou: I try [laughs].
A renaissance girl.
Lou: Yes, I do many things. But I am curious, how did you get to where you are now?
Eric: Well, I was in a band in Paris, but went to New York and found myself in a place that was convenient for me at the right moment where I needed new energy and a cut from anything in my past.
Lou: And you started assisting a photographer?
Eric: Yeah, this photographer was searching for a French guy, nothing specific, he needed to have a French assistant, not a photo assistant. And I was French. It was the easiest resume requirement in my life. I had never taken a picture before, but I started taking portraits at home, just to have fun. People saw my portraits and they asked me to do more. I sent some to Surface magazine and ended up being an ‘Avant Garde’ photographer. It was maybe the 50th picture of my life. I shot my first fashion story last September, in 2007, and I just followed a path like in a labyrinth. Looking at the signs, going right or left, without asking any questions.
Lou: How much did you try to carve out this ‘path’ for yourself?
Eric: I didn’t push anything. I didn’t ask for anything. I was just sensing something here, something there. And I was following, that’s it. I didn’t try to force anything. I was just answering to what was coming. Surrendering to something bigger than me, I guess. Yeah, maybe like in this novel “The Alchemist.”
Do you plan the pictures or sketch a lot beforehand?
Eric: I’m trying to connect in a simple way, in an honest way. I’m improvising a lot, depending on the models or the person. Like in music, improvising from a few chords, getting in the mood and then you have a few songs or you have nothing at all. I didn’t go to an art school, I don’t have any technique at all and I don’t need a ‘perfect’ picture. I just trust my own feelings. It’s simple.

source ericguillemain.com

Last edited by BetteT; 21-02-2010 at 03:09 AM.
09-11-2008
tfs star

ekat kiseleva for newwork magazine

Last edited by BetteT; 21-02-2010 at 03:09 AM.
09-11-2008
backstage pass

Looks very nice.
I'd like to see more!

backstage pass

I am already a big fan since I discovered him on Coacd and Marie Maud blogs.
Thanks J'Adorekapust for this thread.

09-11-2008
backstage pass

here Eniko Mihlaik ( ericguillemain.com)

Last edited by BetteT; 21-02-2010 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Removing link from source, per crediting rules.
10-11-2008
backstage pass

I really love this image with Aline Weber :

credit: Eric Guillemain

Last edited by mariemaud; 11-02-2009 at 04:07 AM.
13-11-2008
backstage pass

Photographer : Eric Guillemain
Talent : Lou Doillon
Magazine : VS
Publication : October 2008

I really love this story he shot with the french actress Lou Doillon : a mix of fashion and nudity very interesting.

Last edited by mariemaud; 11-02-2009 at 04:07 AM.
16-11-2008
backstage pass

I love these images of Agyness

source : ericguillemain.com

29-01-2009
backstage pass

Cover VS magazine
with Milla Jovovich (vspublications.com)

02-02-2009
backstage pass

Milla
VS magazine
Source: ericguillemain.com

Last edited by BetteT; 02-02-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Removing link per new crediting rules.
04-02-2009
backstage pass

more from the VS story :

(ericguillemain.com)

11-02-2009
V.I.P.

model Anouk Hagemeijer

lexposure.net

11-02-2009
scenester

big red heart love for eric.....

11-02-2009
V.I.P.

I've discovered him earlier with Tanya Dziahileva tests, a sensationnal mix of absolute freakness and delicate beauty.

ericguillemain.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
eric, guillemain, photographer